Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dipstick???

This will likely seem like an odd problem, but I'm a pretty odd character!
05 Newmar Essex with the 500HP Cummins. I cannot get the dipstick to go back in. Twist, turn and push as I might it'll go to about 8 or 9 inches from being all the way in and it then seems to hit something. I'm even thinking of shaving the little bulb off the end to see it that helps. Had a mobile service guy mess with it a while back while he was working on another problem and he finally got it back in but it would be a bit unhandy, not to mention expensive, to call a service guy every time I want to check the oil. Any suggestions from the huddled masses???
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It is most likely hitting the connection where the two part dip stick tube joins together!
Mine does the same thing!
To make it easier to go in, try to file or smooth the end of your dip stick the best you can, and keep a small pair of vice-grips handy, and when you get to the point that it catches, clamp the vice-grips on the dip stick about 2" above the end of the tube, and it will give you the force needed to make it go on in, without bending it!
If that does not work, you may have to remove the dip stick tube, and pull it apart at the joint, and smooth out the inside of the joint? Good luck! Rail!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, mine is usually 2 min of frustration getting it all the way back in !!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem! I'm arming myself with vice grips and a file!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with the dipstick on my Onan QD8000 generator. I noticed the yellow plastic tip with the small bulb on the end was curved and I thought that might be the problem preventing it from going all the way in. So, I gently tried to bend it straight. It was so brittle it broke immediately.
I bought a new dipstick online which came with the same curve as the original. It inserted all the way without any problem. After thinking about it I concluded the curve and especially the small bulb on the end was designed to prevent the end of the dipstick from hanging up on the joint between the tube and the crankcase.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
It is most likely hitting the connection where the two part dip stick tube joins together!
Mine does the same thing!
To make it easier to go in, try to file or smooth the end of your dip stick the best you can, and keep a small pair of vice-grips handy, and when you get to the point that it catches, clamp the vice-grips on the dip stick about 2" above the end of the tube, and it will give you the force needed to make it go on in, without bending it!
If that does not work, you may have to remove the dip stick tube, and pull it apart at the joint, and smooth out the inside of the joint? Good luck! Rail!

Thank you sir for the tip! Tried the vice-grips but still no go. Borrowed my neighbor's dremel tool and shaved a little off that bulb on the end and it went right in!! Thanks again!!