Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

DPF high exhaust temp light

Does anyone see the dpf high exaust light come on driving down the road. Im having plugging issues but never have seen the light come on meaning an active regen is taking place.
Retired tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes during an active regen this is normal. Its just telling you your exhaust is hot enough to cause ordinary combustibles (like dry grass) to ignite. Its an advisory lamp, not a malfunction lamp. When its on you should keep driving rather than interrupt the regen while in progress. Usually its well under an hour.

But if you have to interrupt it, just find a suitable location and do a forced regen. If youre still sooting up, do another. Eventually you’ll get it under control. Worst case you’ll have to remove the DOC and DPF (again) and take them to a shop that cleans them. I dont recall all the details, but am I correct that you did a cleaning, and its not a new DPF?

Sorry I forgot about this saga when I responded to the last thread. Since you have the re-set tool, just keep doing those regens - do several, one a day for three days.

I have the diagnostics version so I can see the soot level in terms of % soot load, so I know exactly where my system is in the process before, during and after regens, and its not always back to zero %. With the reset tool your kind of flying blind, but its not abnormal to need more than one regen, and then have to do it again soon after.

Im pretty sure I clogged mine up taking back roads for about a week doing a lot of driving under 50 in over-drive under 1500 rpm and creeping through a lot of small towns. After that I had to do three or four regens before thing settled down.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:44 AM   #3

R.Wold,

Can you expound on your statement that you have diagnostics software (tool?) capable of determining percentage of DPF soot levels.

Thank you.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
R.Wold,

Can you expound on your statement that you have diagnostics software (tool?) capable of determining percentage of DPF soot levels.

Thank you.
I bought this https://otrperformance.com/collectio...ostics-cummins for $600 in January. Initially felt it was a bit overpriced and balked at the subscription aspect vs buying the reset tool, which at the time was $800, but a one-time expense.

The diagnostics version gives more control over commands and a lot of diagnostics information. The % soot in the DPF is found in the monitoring function along with about 30 other parameters.

It also not only displays DTCs, but DTC history, and more importantly, you can click on the code listing and it will provide fault symptoms, trouble shooting and repair procedures. Even if you don't do your own work, it will arm you with needed information when you take it to a shop.

This is a screenshot showing a partial list of the items monitored including soot level. This is after a regen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0FF4F72-3AE5-40D2-AF48-B546105A4E98.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	347113  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I bought this https://otrperformance.com/collectio...ostics-cummins for $600 in January. Initially felt it was a bit overpriced and balked at the subscription aspect vs buying the reset tool, which at the time was $800, but a one-time expense.
It's hard to justify $600/year for the subscription. I don't think many Coach owners can justify that. It's not an unreasonable price for a shop to pay where they will use the tool a couple of times a month.

You can get an inexpensive scan tool (like a ScanGuage D for around $150 one time payment) to read fault codes and display engine parameters (not sure about soot levels though).

Everyone is going to "subscription based" software now. So you can't buy the program and pay once - you have to keep paying to use it.

Does that tool allow the user to activate (bi-directional communication) any tests (like injector or cylinder cut out tests)?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't like the annual subscription either, but its a lot cheaper that Insite and performs the emissions functions. So it does a lot more than any code reader, but not as much as Insite. I was tempted to buy Insite (starts at $1200/year) and take a diesel emissions class from Diesel Laptops ($400) to learn it, but found this at half the price and a lot less trouble (no class to learn it and I run it on my ipad) to use and it accomplishes the goal.

Im not trying to sell anyone it - simply sharing my experience. It has prevented derates, and has saved me far more than I paid for it, and has kept me on the road rather than searching for an honest, competent shop with immediate availability. So Im satisfied, and its worth it to me to have more control over this emissions debacle since the manufacturers and policy makers can’t seem to pull their collective heads out.

It also give me an advantage when I am seeking service as I know what I need and don't need and whether it not the tech(s) are correct in their diagnosis. And since my emissions warranty expired, I decided I needed more than a code reader. Among other things, I can have my DPF serviced and then with OTR, re-set the ECM so it can start the monitoring process over. That alone would cover the cost.

When you consider the cost and potential damage of one towing incident alone, not to mention the subsequent shop visit due to some mystery derate, or consider the ability to monitor and maintain your DPF to prolong its life, the this is cheap insurance. But all this applies only to those of us burdened with a DOC/DPF/SCR/DEF/ETC equipped coach. For those with pre-emissions coaches this has no application.

This is the commands page:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0EC6F606-312F-45EE-8C6D-CB0646134336.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	347127  
Old 10-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post

I'm not trying to sell anyone it - simply sharing my experience.
I get that. Thanks.

I'm just rambling about how much diagnostic equipment costs. I hate these subscription based products. But once the manufacturers figured out how to keep the cash flowing in to them, there's no going back.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

R.Wold,

Thank you.

I use VMSPC in my coach, but as you probably know, it doesn't provide monitoring of the aftertreatment system only fault codes detected via the ECM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
To all here:

I spoke with the Sacramento location of Diesel Emissions Services (somehow ended up on their mailing list) https://dieselemissionsservice.com/ and discussed maintenance intervals.

Obviously they are in the business and its around $400 to have both the DOC and DPF cleaned, but they reccomend annually or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. I don’t see this applyimg to most motorhome owners, but it makes a good point - its far more frequently that the manufacturer’s recommendation.

Additionally they said (and this is key here) that if you are having it regen more frequently then they recommend that it gets cleaned sooner rather than later. Since this is really the subject of this thread it seemed worth posting.

I’m at 46k and was thinking that Id do it around the time I did my 60k service. Now I think Ill work it in before my next long (2 month) trip.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whats a DOC?
Old 10-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Whats a DOC?
Diesel Oxidation Catalyst - just the diesel version of a catalytic converter that addresses CO and in most cases sits in front of the DPF. It is removed and cleaned at the same time and more or less the same way as the DPF.

https://www.nettinc.com/information/...ation-catalyst

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...nt-Systems.pdf

I find these helpful:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	841FF2B4-3ECA-4CFA-9552-A66334092503.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	347180   Click image for larger version

Name:	CACC2DF1-AC31-4D64-B63C-F072BB6BE96E.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	347181  

Old 10-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #12

I understand everything said, but my problem is I never see the high exhaust symbol so that tells me I'm not getting an automatic regen. I start with solid amber light, then also a check engine light, then amber light starts flashing along with debate power. Shouldn't I get a high exhaust light(active regen) so I wouldn't go to limp mode.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #13

You should see nothing during regen.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #14

Passive regen you see nothing, active regen you see high exhaust temp light. Some coaches doesn't have high exhaust temp light, look when key is turned on if u don't see it along with all other lights then coach doesn't have it. It's the same as regen light but had a thermometer in the symbol

Tags
exhaust, light