Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Easy power upgrades (ECU programming)

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the. Computer re flash or other power upgrades on their Cummings 8.3? I would like to get just a little more out of my rig. Specs call out for 330 hp and 950 ft/lbs torque. I think somewhere between 350-400 hp and 1100-1200 ft/lbs torque could be had with very little extra stress on the components.

Right now the coolant temp hovers between 180-190 degrees. That tells me it's not working that hard. If anyone has experience doing this please share with me.

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler endeavor 40 with a Cummings 8.3 L ISC (I think) with approx 60k miles

Thanks
Scooter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	235078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	235079  

Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some years ago I installed the Banks Power Pack on our 2002 DSDP w/ISC 350. New control module, wiring harness, turbo housing, waste gate controller, boost and EGT gauges.
Made a big difference.
Unfortunately it's no longer available.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #3

You might be able to go to 350 hp 1050 ft/lbs. Call Cummins with your esn and cpl, and they will tell you if can reflash to the higher rating.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have experience with a Cummings ISL450. I added a device that remapped the setting and gave me an extra 80 hp and 250 pounds of torque

I also picked up and extra 1/2 gallon fuel economy

The unit runs $2350 and is amazing. It is a plug and play unit

Private Message me and I will try to answer more questions and get you setup if you want one
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
I have experience with a Cummings ISL450. I added a device that remapped the setting and gave me an extra 80 hp and 250 pounds of torque

I also picked up and extra 1/2 gallon fuel economy

The unit runs $2350 and is amazing. It is a plug and play unit

Private Message me and I will try to answer more questions and get you setup if you want one
What transmission do you have?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Let me know if you find anything for the ISC --- I know the Banks is no longer available, and am not aware of anything else that is there for the ISC CAPS engine.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #7

What’s a “Cummings?” Never heard of them.

I have a “Cummins” in my motorhome.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I tuned every one of my personal diesel pickups to get upwards of 100+ hp and 250 lbft torque over stock and never had an issue EXCEPT having too much enjoyment out of it...

Not tuned my coach as it seems to really perform well so far but have heard of others that really liked the results !

Going thru cummins won't affect your warranty, but they are very, VERY proud of a little programming boost for psi increase and duration !

https://www.parleysdieselperformance...s/rv-motorhome

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/dies...ins-85165.html

https://5startuning.com/
Old 02-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Cummings? Cummins

It seems that sometimes the auto spell/correct gets a little aggressive and wants to change "cummins" to Cummings. Well sometimes it will get past us in our excitement of getting to participate in the forum. So that is why I think there have the Cummings engine sightings in the forums

Drive safe
Scooter
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #10

Cummins power upgrades

I found that the cummins service center in Columbus Ohio (Hilliard) can do my service and do a reflash on the computer for a power upgrade. That should do it for me.

By the time I get back home I should have 60k on my bus by then. I think there is a big service due then.

Drive safe
Scooter
Old 02-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Easy power upgrades (ECU programming)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter363y View Post
I found that the cummins service center in Columbus Ohio (Hilliard) can do my service and do a reflash on the computer for a power upgrade. That should do it for me.
By the time I get back home I should have 60k on my bus by then. I think there is a big service due then.
Drive safe

Scooter
Scooter, have you had the Hilliard Cummins shop do any work on your coach? if so, what’s your opinion of them?
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #12

Hilliard cummins service center

I have not had them do any service yet. Right now I'm in ft Myers. I leave here early may for a two week visit stop in NC. Then I'll go home. I will check the yelp ratings before I schedule a service.

Has anyone out there had experience with the Hilliard Ohio cummins service center? Or any official cummins service center? Opinions, experiences, and facts are welcome

Thanks
Scooter
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter363y View Post
I have not had them do any service yet. Right now I'm in ft Myers. I leave here early may for a two week visit stop in NC. Then I'll go home. I will check the yelp ratings before I schedule a service.

Has anyone out there had experience with the Hilliard Ohio cummins service center? Or any official cummins service center? Opinions, experiences, and facts are welcome

Thanks

Scooter

I have been to the Hilliard Cummins service center. Expect to have serious wallet reduction surgery. They do excellent work, but charge absorbent rates.

I have since been having my work done at Bauerle Automotive in Delaware just off of route 42. Last year they changed the belts, tensioner, coolant hoses and coolant as well as lube the entire chassis. The cost was less than half of what I was quoted at the Hilliard Cummins center. And they did excellent work.

I have no affiliation with Bauerles other than being a customer. They will do chassis or engine work you need as well as interior work and upgrades, roof sealing etc. I don’t know about engine chip upgrades, I never asked.

http://bauerleautomotive.com

FYI, I have a 2005 Monaco Knight with an ISC330 Cummins.

Craig
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #14

Uprating the 8.3 is not a big deal, what is a big deal is the maximum input torque rating of your Allison 3000 series transmission, 1,200 lb/ft torque maximum.
Now the "chips" come with their own problems, the main of which is high EGT's, which tend to burn out exhaust valves rather quickly if a pre-turbo pyrometer is not installed and used correctly.(@ 1,350°F exhaust valve begin to melt)

Of course you may have it rebuilt to withstand more torque too if you have the finances, but then that means stronger U-bolts and rebuilt differential.
By this time it may be cheaper to replace the entire drivetrain with a used Cummins ISM and drivetrain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, upgrade