Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EGR Valve control out of calibration?

While driving recently I started to get a CEL. It was of short duration and went out on it's own. I bought a iCarsoft OBD reader and checked. There are no current faults but in History I have this:

SPN2791
SPN2791 Count=7

EGR valve control
FMI=13 out of calibration.

So it is using the SPN2791. It is in the EGR valve control.
It has had 7 instances. It is a problem with calibration

Am I reading this right? I also saw a post that said that the systems may need re-calibrating after replacing the engine battery or after erasing the codes. I have replaced the batteries due to age recently and also replaced the tailpipe which fits on to the recycle canister/muffler. I erased the coded that were due to the low battery. I have so far been able to find no instructions on how to re-calibrate the systems. How can I do this or if needed can I re-calibrate the EGR?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #2

The EGR valve is controlled through the engines ECM (Electronic Control Module) and is why SOMETIMES disconnecting all power to the ECM (ie. Changing Chassis Batteries) it can lose the calibration........ shouldn't, but it does happen. Could also be the valve itself malfunctioning or the EGR Differential Pressure Sensor is faulty?

If it's a calibration issue, you will have to take the coach to a Cummins facility where they can test and recalibrated the ECM with their "Insite" proprietary software.

Cummins can pinpoint the exact cause once it is hooked up to their laptop for diagnostics.

Please let us know when you resolve the problem.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:02 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK. Thanks for the info. We are currently dealing with an alignment and/or tire problem that could cost $$$. SInce I have never gotten away from a Cummins/Onan dealer for less than thousands we may have to stay put a while and work on the budget before we can do that. Inflation is a b!t*h. Our fixed income is broken

Will let you folks know once we get it sorted. I don't mind Holiday Florida anyway. Nice place to hang out.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 01-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #4

Here is my 2cents, the EGR valve is mostly mechanical, it is controlled by an electronic magnet that moves the rod.That signal in sent from the ECM. I cleared my coded by removing ERG valve and cleaning it.I had a ton of soot inside and blocking some holes.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Here is my 2cents, the EGR valve is mostly mechanical, it is controlled by an electronic magnet that moves the rod.That signal in sent from the ECM. I cleared my coded by removing ERG valve and cleaning it.I had a ton of soot inside and blocking some holes.

I have since found out that there is no calibration for the EGR. That is simply a catch all for the system not opening or closing fully. I suspect gunk also. It is common on that engine around 75,000 mi but it is possible. It is doubtful that battery changing could cause it.

Where did you find out how to do it? I understand that a new valve is $750 and that many just clean the old one.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:33 AM   #6

You are correct that "calibration" is simply a term used to describe a malfunctioning EGR system or component contained therein, but used in the Cummins Service and Repair Manual.

To service the EGR system, log on to www.cumminsquickserve.com and register with your EIN (Engine Identification Number) or Engine Serial number as most refer to it.

Once you are set up with your username and password, click on "Service" at the top of the window and you will have access to both the "Service and Repair Manuals" free of charge.

In the Repair Manual, it will provide all the steps, instructions and diagrams to remove the EGR components from the cooler to the EGR Valve and all the piping in between if you are mechanically inclined.

You can search the manual by typing in "EGR System or EGR Valve"

Removing just the EGR Differential Pressure Sensor and the EGR Valve are relatively simple and clearing the exhaust passages with air or a small nylon pipe brush isn't that difficult as depicted in the manual.

Their is a video on Youtube titled "EGR Quick Fix 2" by a Cummins mechanic that you may want to watch for a general overview of what it entails.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:00 AM   #7

EGR cleaning

If I remember correctly, my Cummins 6.7 Maintenace manual that came with my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition calls for the EGR valve to be cleaned at 65,000 miles.
I removed the valve and cooler at about 55,000 miles and there was quite a lot of carbon built up. Soaked all the parts in Purple Power from the auto parts store. Mostly clean as new in about 24 hours. Scraped off a little bit of carbon leftover and made sure the valve was freely moving freely and reinstalled with new gaskets.
I had to disassemble the bed to get to the top of the motor.
cdickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdickey View Post
If I remember correctly, my Cummins 6.7 Maintenace manual that came with my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition calls for the EGR valve to be cleaned at 65,000 miles.
I removed the valve and cooler at about 55,000 miles and there was quite a lot of carbon built up. Soaked all the parts in Purple Power from the auto parts store. Mostly clean as new in about 24 hours. Scraped off a little bit of carbon leftover and made sure the valve was freely moving freely and reinstalled with new gaskets.
I had to disassemble the bed to get to the top of the motor.

Yes- getting all of that stuff out from under the bed may be the toughest part of it all. I am pretty sure that there are bags of rocks and shells along with many things that the DW truly needs to keep even though it has been years. I have wanted to clean out under there for years. The Purple power is a good suggestion. I also saw that there are some passages that should be blown out with air so I may have to borrow a compressor.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:34 PM   #9

Oh no....not the stuff under the bed, you'll be in the "dog house" for weeks if you get rid of the stuff under the bed....[emoji16]
Old 01-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #10

Check the ports on the manifold the EGR valve mounts on, mine were completely plugged up. I used a drill bit to punch out the carbon buildup.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:36 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Oh no....not the stuff under the bed, you'll be in the "dog house" for weeks if you get rid of the stuff under the bed....[emoji16]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Check the ports on the manifold the EGR valve mounts on, mine were completely plugged up. I used a drill bit to punch out the carbon buildup.
I saw that on a you tube. They said they needed compressed air to clear it but I like your suggestion better.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:30 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope I do not get hollered at here and I know I will have to remove and clean the EGR later anyway but perhaps closer to its recommended maintenance interval of 75k. I added the recommended quantity of Seafoam for cleaning and removing blockages before filling the 100gal tank. This was a gallon can for $65. I did not expect much since the Seafoam would be mostly wasted and would only get to the valve after passing through the combustion chamber and even then only when the valve was open. Since the valve wad partly clogged that is even worse. I did notice a steady reduction in the brief CEL appearances starting around 1/4 tank burned. By the time I got to 1/2 tank there were no more CEL lights at all. I filled the tank at 1/4 remaining because I didn't want to run the generator dry and then again later. No CEL at all. The engine ran fine to begin with. I seem to have lost a MPG but that may be due to the horrendous condition of the Texas 2 lane roads here in the far southern part of the state. They seem to have been tarred and covered in railroad grade ballast and they rumble and shake terribly.

I will keep you posted. I fully expect to have to remove and clean at some point but meanwhile I am curious to see how long it works.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:06 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well the temporary fix did not last long. Came back. Got the CEL and loss of power. Limped on into Fort Stockton. Overnight in Walmart. Want to find the engine info plate so I can get a gasket set and find out exactly what my EGR looks like. Have to see if I can get to it from underneath or If I need to go under the bed storage to get to the top. I did watch the youtube video and if mine is the same and I can get to it I can do that. If the gaskets are not available I can probably use the permatex red. If anyone knows of a diagram for the EGR valve in a ISB 6.7L CM2150 Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:51 PM   #14

I removed the original EGR valve a couple of times (cleaning) and the original gasket was in great shape, used it until I purchased a new one, a new gasket was inclosed.

Tags
valve