Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 05:28 AM   #1

Engine or transmission issue ??

Good morning guys i have an issue but don’t know if it is an engine or trans issue. I have a 1995 newmar with a 8.3 Cummins with an Allison md3060. If i am on the highway and get off the motor will still when i come to a complete stop. If it doesn’t stall it will “catch” itself. I can replicate it if i put it in gear and hold the brake hit the throttle and lay off.
I have changed the fuel filters numerous times. The previous owners did not do maintenance on the rv for a bunch of years. I would imagine they did not do the trans filters and fluid so that is on my list of things to do. Any input on what it can be ? Here is a video of it

https://youtube.com/shorts/blqc-qbBspQ?feature=share
pauciullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 06:07 AM   #2

Pretty easy to check the transmission for Diagnostic Codes using your shift pad:

Ignition on, engine OFF.

Press the Allison up and down arrows at the same time. That will likely bring up OL-- (for oil level).

If it does, press the up and down arrows again at the same time. That will bring up d-1 and any stored diagnostic codes.

Earlier transmissions did not have the oil level feature, so they went directly to diagnostic codes.

If there is a diagnostic code, after recording it, press the mode button to go to d-2. Continue until you get d-"whatever" and --.

Turn off the ignition to exit.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Pretty easy to check the transmission for Diagnostic Codes using your shift pad:

Ignition on, engine OFF.

Press the Allison up and down arrows at the same time. That will likely bring up OL-- (for oil level).

If it does, press the up and down arrows again at the same time. That will bring up d-1 and any stored diagnostic codes.

Earlier transmissions did not have the oil level feature, so they went directly to diagnostic codes.

If there is a diagnostic code, after recording it, press the mode button to go to d-2. Continue until you get d-"whatever" and --.

Turn off the ignition to exit.
good morning I just got up and pulled the codes. this is what I got
Old 03-18-2023, 07:37 AM   #4

So, no diagnostic codes.

Said another way, from an electronics standpoint the transmission is happy.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:20 AM   #5

could this be a fuel delivery issue ? its just odd that it does it only in gear.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauciullo View Post
could this be a fuel delivery issue ? its just odd that it does it only in gear.

Yes it could. Any air in the fuel filters? Dirt or water? An indication of a problem.

Also, verify that the fuel shutoff solenoid is opening all the way.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes it could. Any air in the fuel filters? Dirt or water? An indication of a problem.

Also, verify that the fuel shutoff solenoid is opening all the way.
Where would the fuel shut off solenoid be ?

I did the fuel filters a few times and still had the same results. Also had no signs of dirt or water. I did a fuel treatment in it just to be sure I need to do the air filter
Old 03-18-2023, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Where would the fuel shut off solenoid be ?

I did the fuel filters a few times and still had the same results. Also had no signs of dirt or water. I did a fuel treatment in it just to be sure I need to do the air filter

The fuel shutoff solenoid is on your injection pump (passenger's side of engine).

What does your air filter minder read? Have you tested it to make sure it is working properly?

And, how old is the air filter. Since they are made of paper, they DO degrade with time as well as accumulated dirt.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:22 AM   #9

Is the engine brake stalling it ?
Old 03-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
The fuel shutoff solenoid is on your injection pump (passenger's side of engine).

What does your air filter minder read? Have you tested it to make sure it is working properly?

And, how old is the air filter. Since they are made of paper, they DO degrade with time as well as accumulated dirt.
Air filter doesn’t have a minder on it. I need to swap in a new one.
I am just confused on why it only does it in gear
Old 03-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Is the engine brake stalling it ?
No sir it’s off
Old 03-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
No sir it’s off

A very good question.

What brand exhaust brake do you have?

I have seen them fail to open, particularly if not maintained.

Pac Brake exhaust brakes do require lubrication:

https://pacbrake.com/product/c18037-superlube/
Old 03-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
A very good question.

What brand exhaust brake do you have?

I have seen them fail to open, particularly if not maintained.

Pac Brake exhaust brakes do require lubrication:

https://pacbrake.com/product/c18037-superlube/
would the exhaust brake still cause the issue only while the transmission is in drive? I dont even use the exhaust brake.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:56 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Gallivant
My 2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins ISC had an in-line one way check valve just before the primary fuel filter. I’ve had algae/crud get stuck in there and more recently rubber bits that acts like bubble gum. Both of these have eventually blocked fuel delivery when the filters where good. I didn’t even know about this valve as it looks like regular fittings back there. New supply and return hoses and FASS pump have cured my issues.

Tags
engine, transmission