Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just curious, if the same thing should happen to me......what would be wrong with NOT repairing this? Since it's described as "very small" oil leak ? If I was diligent at making sure the engine never ran low on oil ( $1200 buys a lot of oil ! ) seems to me the engine wouldn't even notice..... Been my experience in similar situations that the cure is more dangerous to the engine than the disease .... :-)
The 1200 was for the head gasket R&R. Besides, oil leaks get worse over time and are a mess on wherever you park not to mention spray back onto your tow vehicle, or even other cars behind you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The 1200 was for the head gasket R&R.
Right.... according to how I read your post, this was the cause/cure of the oil leak? Makes me nervous
to have mechanic mess with heads.... Couldn't the head bolts just be checked for proper torque and tightened if necessary ? Isn't there a chance that would have cured or helped slow the oil leak ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #17

I will add a little more for comfort. This is the same center that admitted to not aligning after a tie rod replacement ( filed on ext warranty) then when I showed the front tires wear in about 4K miles asking what happened...they aligned and had two new Michelins installed. That is honest repair and expense on their part. point is, I trust them and suspect I will learn dings were definitely alarming. I questioned fix on oil (I knew it had not been using much oil at all, but a leak from somewhere was noticable), but they suggested a fix because near belts which could net problem down the road. When they called during gasket repair and asked about fixing HB, they mentioned that they were still in repair so no additional labor would be charged for HB. Although ignorant of cost and need, I felt all in good service and I really appreciate the calls updating me and questioning IF I want the repair.

We all know how our toys can be costly and many of us are not good fixers on some areas of our toys. I know drugs and guns (avid shooter/hunter with decades of reloading, hunting, and competitive shooting behind me, also a pharmacist with ffl), but engines and tranny are just not my "thing". iRV2 is such a great source of info in these situations.

Thanks guys. I will report more when I pick up MH Monday.

Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Well that fellow would be me. Please explain.

The OP said HB was "dinged up". Nothing about inner and outer rings being out of alignment.
The front crankshaft seal has a wear sleeve pressed onto the nose of the crank. Balancer is pressed onto the crankshaft portion that has a keyway. Balancers are actually harmonic shock absorbers that dampen the vibration generated by each cylinder's crank journal. This vibration results in a twisting of the crank. The damper actually (not balancer) suppresses those twisting moments. If the viscous damper outer ring weight shifts in relation to the hub section separated by the rubber compound, the supression of these twisting vibrations is not dampened. The result will be that the crankshaft breaks, usually at one of the main journals. The damper and the front seal are not related in this.

I can agree that the ding marks should not be there but if there is no evidence of shifting in relation to the alignment mark then it is more a cosmetic issue than one of major importance. Since it was replaced anyway, it was cheap insurance considering the cost of replacing a broken crank which is more expensive than an in-frame overhaul.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #19

UPDATE....pickup MH today and got a good (to me) explanation and visual of damaged dampener. Oil leak was to the front housing seal which explains how the "dings" were found and I think signs of good inspection by mechanic. Dampener was dinged up bad from something that probably was (maybe in pulley system incident I do not know about) before I got MH and I suspect it between inframe service and when I bought MH. If this was before inframe then I would say the inframe mechanic overlooked or did not do customer justice. Anyway, since I have not known of anything metal getting in my pulleys or against the dampener then all must have been one of those unknowns that came in the deal.Mechanic said all was checked out and in good shape, no damage had been done and now, know should be, at least from this repair.
bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
JMHO

Any dealer that would cough up two new Michelins in response to a self admitted error is fairly….Uh… unique. Sounds to me like you got what you paid for, plus the comfort of knowing your motor is well taken care of.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service