Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you start the engine, do you engage the a/c before the lift pump stops running? If so, try waiting until that cycle is over, then engage the a/c. My aftermarket pump runs for a full minute, most seem to run for 30-45 seconds.
Also, inspect the wiring bundle going to the ECM. It should not have been disturbed during the a/c servicing, but who knows?
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincherman View Post
No. The engine definitely shuts down and quickly I might add. That's big part of the reason I'm beginning to settle on this being an electrical issue.
I can't believe the belt driven a/c compressor would shut this engine down at idle.....but

A sure way to see if it's belt load or electrical would to remove the drive belt and start engine. If it still shuts down, that would be 100% electrical issue.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #17

I have the exact same problem on the same RV. I can confirm this is not a mechanical issue. This has to be electrical in nature. I can tell you what happens when you do this under way. It stalls or the check engine light comes on along with the alarm. I have observed that it seems to happen when the selector goes through the off position. So switching from AC to say MAX AC is fine. Switching from AC all the way over to vents or floor and it’ll stall. My AC works fine and the engine will stall turning it off also. This eliminates it being anything wrong with the compressor. I would love it if someone had an answer to this problem. I suspect this is a grounding issue and will continue to troubleshoot. If I find an answer, I’ll post it here.
Wardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:06 PM   #18

Something like the ac clutch engagement is robbing juice from the ecm or crowding the ground. I would be cleaning grounds first then start looking at the ac clutch 12v wire. I just remembered there is a voltage spike absorber on these cummins. Like a capacitor rt near the ecm. When they go they can burn out the ecm. But they start causing little odd problems first. It's called a transient suppressor iirc.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:07 AM   #19

Thanks, Shootist.
I'm all for plug and play on this before I screw around with grounds. I'll pursue replacing the transient suppressor.
Anyone out there know where the ecm is located on my '05 Dutch Star (Cummins)? I'd have thought it was in the compartment next to the battery bank (pictured) but nothing in there looks like a big capacitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side Up Elec. Compartment.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	369528  
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #20

It's on the rt side of the engine block. Just under and in front of the injection pump.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #21

Check out this Cummins troubleshooting tree.
Shootist, the Cummins transient suppressor is a huge diode, used mainly on the 8.3L engine. When the engine is running the suppressor gets hot enough to burn your hand.
More here: https://www.agdieselsolutions.com/wp...90.V2.R3.1.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Check out this Cummins troubleshooting tree.
Shootist, the Cummins transient suppressor is a huge diode, used mainly on the 8.3L engine. When the engine is running the suppressor gets hot enough to burn your hand.
More here: https://www.agdieselsolutions.com/wp...90.V2.R3.1.pdf
It's on the caps isl's as well. I would think it would be more along the lines of a capacitor than a diode. Acts like a condenser in a points distributor.
Just looked it up, they apparently do use silicone diodes to do the same thing. Glad you informed me.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
It's on the caps isl's as well. I would think it would be more along the lines of a capacitor than a diode. Acts like a condenser in a points distributor.
Just looked it up, they apparently do use silicone diodes to do the same thing. Glad you informed me.
Yep, the ISL uses the same block as the ISC, the ISL is stroked, making the HP difference.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #24

Did you find the culprit?

I know this thread is old but was the culprit to the engine shut down the "Transit Suppressor? Having a similar issue. TIA
Slow Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #25

To answer your question as best as I can at this point, 'to a degree'.
I worked with another Dutch Star owner (same year & engine) and came up with the installation of a vacuum/mode switch that's used in the main dash panel for controlling A/C, heat, vent etc.

https://www.comfortairgr.com/product...pcon-rv218476/

I installed the new part and it stopped the engine cutout when turning the switch past the off mode at the 12 o'clock position to heat/defrost.
The caveat to all this is that I believe my freon has again leaked out and my compressor is not engaging so until I get that rectified I will not know for absolute sure that I've solved this. I do believe the engine 'cutout', orange check engine light, was happening without the compressor being engaged and the switch being moved but, as I said earlier until I get the freon leak fixed and the system charged I'll feel even better about fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6572138231849431467.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	381014  
Old 11-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #26

BTW- To be clear my 'to a degree' comment was NOT addressing the Transit supressor. I never really looked into that possibility.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #27

For me, a rebuild of the selector switch absolutely resolved the issue. I would have preferred to replace it like Dave did. But, in an effort to be timely with my trouble shooting. I chose to disassemble the switch itself. It is a multi layer, laminated design and two of the plates would short in certain positions. It’s been working great since the repair. I’ll replace it if my repair fails. I was waiting on Dave to verify with his before giving a response. Hope this helps

Bob
Wardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #28

Thanks I will start to look for what is causing the spike or short. Frustrating because it doesn't cause a code to showup.
Slow Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dash, dash air, engine