Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Member
 
pincherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 37
Engine Stall / Dash Air

I've done some thread and Google searching on this but have not found an answer.
I've got an ISL 8.9 in an '05 Newmar Dutch Star with a Spartan MountainMaster chassis.
While in idle if I turn on my dash air the engine stalls or more accurately just 'cuts out' as if its electrically being told to shut down. There's no warning lights when this happens.
As you can imagine I'm dreadfully afraid to see what happens if I engage my dash air while rolling down the road. Perhaps I should simply increase my RPM while idling and engage the dash a/c to see the result?
Just getting started on this issue and hoping someone out there has encountered the same.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dave
__________________
'05 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 (Spartan MM)
Cummins ISL 370, 2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, Brake Buddy STEALTH
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 2,455
That is what I would do. Increase the rpms to maybe 1K. See what happens. I know on gas engines there is a idle increase when the AC is turned on. There use to an electric actuator on the carb for this rpm increase. I'm sure its built into the ECM now.
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
Kia Soul pushing a 36' DP Endeavor
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 841
I have a 2005 MADP. Same engine and chassis.

There is no way that your AC compressor could physically stall out your ISL - the compressor belt would slip/snap first.

You have an electric problem. It sounds Iike the AC circuit is "stealing" power from the ECM. I would start by looking at fuses and grounds.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rob_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,685
It would smoke the belt before stalling that big cummins, even at idle. Has to be electrical somehow.
__________________
Rob & Laura
2002 American Tradition 40', 431hp Banks PowerPack
Mid-South TX
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 283
The good thing is that the compressor is easy to get to for checking. Try to turn the clutch at the end of the compressor and see if it's locked up. If so then you are dealing with a bad compressor and a lot of debris in the ac system. Disconnect the plug on the high side line at the compressor and try to engage it again while running. It shouldn't engage the compressor as that is a pressure cut out switch. If the engine continues to run after the pressure switch is disconnected and ac engaged then you probably have a bad compressor. Leave it disconnected until you can get it serviced.

FWIW, revving the engine and engaging the compressor is a bad idea. If by chance the compressor is frozen and killing the engine at idle there will be a lot of smoke and belt damage if you rev it and engage the ac.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
The good thing is that the compressor is easy to get to for checking. Try to turn the clutch at the end of the compressor and see if it's locked up. If so then you are dealing with a bad compressor and a lot of debris in the ac system. Disconnect the plug on the high side line at the compressor and try to engage it again while running. It shouldn't engage the compressor as that is a pressure cut out switch. If the engine continues to run after the pressure switch is disconnected and ac engaged then you probably have a bad compressor. Leave it disconnected until you can get it serviced.

FWIW, revving the engine and engaging the compressor is a bad idea. If by chance the compressor is frozen and killing the engine at idle there will be a lot of smoke and belt damage if you rev it and engage the ac.
__________________
2014 Newell 2020P ISX 600 HP

was 2007 Monaco Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600HP
hypoxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,904
On most Cummins diesel engines the A/C compressor has it's own dedicated belt separate from the serpentine belt that turns the water pump and alternator. This is because not all vehicles the engine goes into have A/C (like tractors and heavy equipment).

Diesel engines shut down differently than gas engines. Diesel engines usually have an electrical solenoid that shuts off the fuel. I'd try to find this solenoid in the fuel line to the injection pump. Put a test light on the wire and then have someone turn on the A/C and see if power is interrupted to the fuel solenoid.

Good luck!
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
On most Cummins diesel engines the A/C compressor has it's own dedicated belt separate from the serpentine belt that turns the water pump and alternator. This is because not all vehicles the engine goes into have A/C (like tractors and heavy equipment).

Diesel engines shut down differently than gas engines. Diesel engines usually have an electrical solenoid that shuts off the fuel. I'd try to find this solenoid in the fuel line to the injection pump. Put a test light on the wire and then have someone turn on the A/C and see if power is interrupted to the fuel solenoid.

Good luck!
His '05 should have a caps fuel system. There is no fuel shut off solenoid. The ecm operates the fuel valve through the stator on the fuel pump. To shut down it just stops opening and closing the fuel valve in time with injector firing. No solenoid and the ac circuit shouldn't have any effect on ecm controls of the engine.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:32 AM   #9
Member
 
pincherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 37
Responding to some of the posts thus far -
* If I start my engine with the A/C in the 'on' position, both the A/C and the engine run fine.
* However, I did have my A/C system purged and re-filled recently. Perhaps its just coincidental but as this issue was not there before maybe its got something to do with that A/C servicing event?
Thanks in advance to all that have responded to this point.
__________________
'05 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 (Spartan MM)
Cummins ISL 370, 2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, Brake Buddy STEALTH
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 26,128
I agree with replies 3&4 it must be electrical. Your cummins engine at low idle cannot be stopped by a locked compressor it would burn the belt apart. Also, your compressor is not locked according to your information update.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincherman View Post
Responding to some of the posts thus far -
* If I start my engine with the A/C in the 'on' position, both the A/C and the engine run fine.
* However, I did have my A/C system purged and re-filled recently. Perhaps its just coincidental but as this issue was not there before maybe its got something to do with that A/C servicing event?
Thanks in advance to all that have responded to this point.
So, I'm not sure why you would have to purge and recharge the ac system if it is function fine. That being said refilling the ac system shouldn't have caused any issues unless it's overcharged with freon. Then it could build high head pressure and stop the compressor from turning.

So, to understand correctly if you start the engine with ac on it runs OK, but if you start the engine and then turn ac on it dies? Is that a correct assessment?
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
rvbiker45's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Dallas, TX area
Posts: 613
This is a silly thought, but, are you seeing no RPM's on the tach? Or, are you listening and feeling the stopping on the dash A/C? Maybe the A/C is stopping and the sudden stoppage makes it sound like the engine also quits.
Like I said, silly, but look under every rock.
__________________
Don and Marilynn
'04 Newmar Dutch Star 4010
Spartan Chassis/Cummins ISL 400
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:02 AM   #13
Member
 
pincherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
So, I'm not sure why you would have to purge and recharge the ac system if it is function fine. That being said refilling the ac system shouldn't have caused any issues unless it's overcharged with freon. Then it could build high head pressure and stop the compressor from turning.

So, to understand correctly if you start the engine with ac on it runs OK, but if you start the engine and then turn ac on it dies? Is that a correct assessment?
I had the a/c recharged because the system was blowing tepid air and a big YES to your "correct assessment".
__________________
'05 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 (Spartan MM)
Cummins ISL 370, 2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, Brake Buddy STEALTH
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:06 AM   #14
Member
 
pincherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
This is a silly thought, but, are you seeing no RPM's on the tach? Or, are you listening and feeling the stopping on the dash A/C? Maybe the A/C is stopping and the sudden stoppage makes it sound like the engine also quits.
Like I said, silly, but look under every rock.
No. The engine definitely shuts down and quickly I might add. That's big part of the reason I'm beginning to settle on this being an electrical issue.
__________________
'05 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 (Spartan MM)
Cummins ISL 370, 2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, Brake Buddy STEALTH
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, dash, dash air, engine



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 Ford F53 Engine Stall out odrog Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 09-15-2017 04:10 PM
engine stall 2002 Itasca TomKent Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 10 06-20-2013 09:02 AM
"Ghost" engine stall classic60 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 25 11-28-2010 08:59 AM
Why does Ford 460 engine stall on deceleration? sidewinder2 Class A Motorhome Discussions 19 10-13-2010 10:16 AM
460 engine quit/stall Yo, CA MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 08-05-2005 05:18 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.