Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #1

Engine Stall / Dash Air

I've done some thread and Google searching on this but have not found an answer.
I've got an ISL 8.9 in an '05 Newmar Dutch Star with a Spartan MountainMaster chassis.
While in idle if I turn on my dash air the engine stalls or more accurately just 'cuts out' as if its electrically being told to shut down. There's no warning lights when this happens.
As you can imagine I'm dreadfully afraid to see what happens if I engage my dash air while rolling down the road. Perhaps I should simply increase my RPM while idling and engage the dash a/c to see the result?
Just getting started on this issue and hoping someone out there has encountered the same.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dave
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is what I would do. Increase the rpms to maybe 1K. See what happens. I know on gas engines there is a idle increase when the AC is turned on. There use to an electric actuator on the carb for this rpm increase. I'm sure its built into the ECM now.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #3

I have a 2005 MADP. Same engine and chassis.

There is no way that your AC compressor could physically stall out your ISL - the compressor belt would slip/snap first.

You have an electric problem. It sounds Iike the AC circuit is "stealing" power from the ECM. I would start by looking at fuses and grounds.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #4

It would smoke the belt before stalling that big cummins, even at idle. Has to be electrical somehow.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #5

The good thing is that the compressor is easy to get to for checking. Try to turn the clutch at the end of the compressor and see if it's locked up. If so then you are dealing with a bad compressor and a lot of debris in the ac system. Disconnect the plug on the high side line at the compressor and try to engage it again while running. It shouldn't engage the compressor as that is a pressure cut out switch. If the engine continues to run after the pressure switch is disconnected and ac engaged then you probably have a bad compressor. Leave it disconnected until you can get it serviced.

FWIW, revving the engine and engaging the compressor is a bad idea. If by chance the compressor is frozen and killing the engine at idle there will be a lot of smoke and belt damage if you rev it and engage the ac.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
The good thing is that the compressor is easy to get to for checking. Try to turn the clutch at the end of the compressor and see if it's locked up. If so then you are dealing with a bad compressor and a lot of debris in the ac system. Disconnect the plug on the high side line at the compressor and try to engage it again while running. It shouldn't engage the compressor as that is a pressure cut out switch. If the engine continues to run after the pressure switch is disconnected and ac engaged then you probably have a bad compressor. Leave it disconnected until you can get it serviced.

FWIW, revving the engine and engaging the compressor is a bad idea. If by chance the compressor is frozen and killing the engine at idle there will be a lot of smoke and belt damage if you rev it and engage the ac.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On most Cummins diesel engines the A/C compressor has it's own dedicated belt separate from the serpentine belt that turns the water pump and alternator. This is because not all vehicles the engine goes into have A/C (like tractors and heavy equipment).

Diesel engines shut down differently than gas engines. Diesel engines usually have an electrical solenoid that shuts off the fuel. I'd try to find this solenoid in the fuel line to the injection pump. Put a test light on the wire and then have someone turn on the A/C and see if power is interrupted to the fuel solenoid.

Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
On most Cummins diesel engines the A/C compressor has it's own dedicated belt separate from the serpentine belt that turns the water pump and alternator. This is because not all vehicles the engine goes into have A/C (like tractors and heavy equipment).

Diesel engines shut down differently than gas engines. Diesel engines usually have an electrical solenoid that shuts off the fuel. I'd try to find this solenoid in the fuel line to the injection pump. Put a test light on the wire and then have someone turn on the A/C and see if power is interrupted to the fuel solenoid.

Good luck!
His '05 should have a caps fuel system. There is no fuel shut off solenoid. The ecm operates the fuel valve through the stator on the fuel pump. To shut down it just stops opening and closing the fuel valve in time with injector firing. No solenoid and the ac circuit shouldn't have any effect on ecm controls of the engine.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:32 AM   #9

Responding to some of the posts thus far -
* If I start my engine with the A/C in the 'on' position, both the A/C and the engine run fine.
* However, I did have my A/C system purged and re-filled recently. Perhaps its just coincidental but as this issue was not there before maybe its got something to do with that A/C servicing event?
Thanks in advance to all that have responded to this point.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #10

I agree with replies 3&4 it must be electrical. Your cummins engine at low idle cannot be stopped by a locked compressor it would burn the belt apart. Also, your compressor is not locked according to your information update.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincherman View Post
Responding to some of the posts thus far -
* If I start my engine with the A/C in the 'on' position, both the A/C and the engine run fine.
* However, I did have my A/C system purged and re-filled recently. Perhaps its just coincidental but as this issue was not there before maybe its got something to do with that A/C servicing event?
Thanks in advance to all that have responded to this point.
So, I'm not sure why you would have to purge and recharge the ac system if it is function fine. That being said refilling the ac system shouldn't have caused any issues unless it's overcharged with freon. Then it could build high head pressure and stop the compressor from turning.

So, to understand correctly if you start the engine with ac on it runs OK, but if you start the engine and then turn ac on it dies? Is that a correct assessment?
Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a silly thought, but, are you seeing no RPM's on the tach? Or, are you listening and feeling the stopping on the dash A/C? Maybe the A/C is stopping and the sudden stoppage makes it sound like the engine also quits.
Like I said, silly, but look under every rock.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
So, I'm not sure why you would have to purge and recharge the ac system if it is function fine. That being said refilling the ac system shouldn't have caused any issues unless it's overcharged with freon. Then it could build high head pressure and stop the compressor from turning.

So, to understand correctly if you start the engine with ac on it runs OK, but if you start the engine and then turn ac on it dies? Is that a correct assessment?
I had the a/c recharged because the system was blowing tepid air and a big YES to your "correct assessment".
Old 05-15-2022, 03:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
This is a silly thought, but, are you seeing no RPM's on the tach? Or, are you listening and feeling the stopping on the dash A/C? Maybe the A/C is stopping and the sudden stoppage makes it sound like the engine also quits.
Like I said, silly, but look under every rock.
No. The engine definitely shuts down and quickly I might add. That's big part of the reason I'm beginning to settle on this being an electrical issue.

Tags
air, dash, dash air, engine