Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Engine won't start

My 2007 Dutchstar coach has a Cumm 400 diesel I changed the oil/filter (24 quarts) and the two diesel fuel filters...Now I can't get the engine to start....I think I may have got some air into the fuel lines...and have lost the prime...Anyone know how you can bleed the air from the system? Or any other suggestions..thanks
Usa1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #2

Chris, your post is in the wrong forum and Im sure the moderators will move it to the proper one. To answer your question, I suggest you try switching the key on and off at least 10-15 cycles. Each ON cycle should be for about 15 seconds, each off cycle should be about 5 seconds. Don't move it to START on these cycles, just off to on. Your unit has an electric fuel pump that will help prime the system.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Try prefilling the two fuel filters. I know the manual says to prefill the primary only, but after doing that, my ISL would not start. Prefilled the other one, did the off/on drill with the ingnition, and it fired right uup.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
caution when filling fuel filters....

Make sure you fill through the outer small holes not the large center hole. Allowing unfilered fuel in to your fuel system can stick injectors and bad things can happen.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also, I have found it works better if I change one fuel filter and run the engine before changing the second fuel filter.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

Had an ISL in my 06 Dutchstar. Had two fuel filters. When I changed them I always prefilled the primary (being careful to put the fuel only into the outer holes), put the secondary on dry, did the on/off drill 10 or 15 times and it fired up immediately. If I were you I'd prefill the primary---and see if it will fire up. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Just got the PM Service done on our '06 ISL at the local Cummins Bridgeway shop. The tech only filled ONE of the filters. Put the 2 micron filter on dry. He had me do the key on/off cycle 3 times. It was about 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off for three cycles. The engine fired right up, just as it always does.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

A trick that will solve the problem is pour ATF fluid, such as Dexon / Mercon into the filters. Make sure it is from a new, unopened bottle.
The ATF fluid is compatible with Diesel engines to tier 3.
I used this for years on CAT C7 - C15 and Cummins QSX 15; no problems.
mrskydrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskydrol View Post
A trick that will solve the problem is pour ATF fluid, such as Dexon / Mercon into the filters. Make sure it is from a new, unopened bottle.
Uhhh.... I hate when I see this stuff posted, I normally don't get "bent out of shape" when I post, but I simply cannot resist this one. This is an old truckers wives tale that has been passed around through the decades and is NOT recommended OR suggested for any diesel engine regardless of manufacturer whether you mix it into your fuel or pour it directly into the filters. Due to heavy ATF viscosity at room temperatures being poured directly into the filter can potentially destroy an injection system in less than 30 seconds.

Aside from all the other reasons not to introduce ATF into diesel for combustion such as a higher flash point which reduces cetane levels, emulsifying water (absorbing it) thus allowing it to be passed thru your injection system, heavy/strong detergents designed to clean transmission internals which can wreak absolute hell on a common rail injection system, very heavy ash content which will leave horrible deposits in the entire combustion process .. aside from all those bad points the largest reason not to introduce ATF into your injection pump is that ATF contains friction ENHANCERS - chemical additives that introduce MORE FRICTION as automatic transmissions rely on friction to function. Why in the world anyone would want more friction in their several thousand dollar injection pump and injectors where required clearances are in the thousandths is beyond every conceivable thread of common sense I can muster.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bite on that. ATF makes about as much sense as pouring unfiltered fuel into fuel filters. The only recommended way is to install new filters and prime with priming pumps. Nice explanation 94 Newmar.
mrskydrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Makes no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskydrol View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bite on that. ATF makes about as much sense as pouring unfiltered fuel into fuel filters. The only recommended way is to install new filters and prime with priming pumps. Nice explanation 94 Newmar.
I have to ask......Why would you post something like that if you don't do it or believe in doing it?
There are some out there that use tranny fluid and do just as you posted, it has been argued here before.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #12

All the way through my Cummins Engine Manual they refer to it as a "Diesel" Engine. Nowhere did I see a reference to an "ATF" Engine.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Usa1Chris

I want to thank everyone who sent me ideas to solve my Motorhome not starting after changing the diesel fuel filters/on Cummings 400 engine on My 2007 Newmar Dutchstar...( always fill the new filter with fresh fuel and then replace) The solution was...it is a self-priming system and a Cumming Tec. told me to fill the filters with deisel fuel and screw both filter in place...try starting the engine...Still was not running....He said that if engine did not start to loosen the main filter.... NOT the filter/water sep. but the main diesel gas filter...loosen it a little so that when I turned the engine over it allow the traped air to be expelled from the system and some small amout of fuel. I then tighten the filter and after two short starting cycles...the engine cranked right up. So thanks...Chris D.
Usa1chris is offline   Reply With Quote