Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2023, 03:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Exhaust manifold gaskets

I need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 400 ISL. I soaked all the bolts for a week with PB blaster and was able to remove them all without any broken bolts! Wondering if I can slide the new gaskets between the block and manifold without actually having to remove the manifold completely? There seems to be a large enough gap/play that I can get the new gaskets between. Would be nice to not have to remove the entire manifold from the turbo and all that that entails. The manifold itself appears to be fine. Thanks for any input I can get.
Brianpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpr View Post
I need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 400 ISL. I soaked all the bolts for a week with PB blaster and was able to remove them all without any broken bolts! Wondering if I can slide the new gaskets between the block and manifold without actually having to remove the manifold completely? There seems to be a large enough gap/play that I can get the new gaskets between. Would be nice to not have to remove the entire manifold from the turbo and all that that entails. The manifold itself appears to be fine. Thanks for any input I can get.
You need the mating surfaces to be clean and flat. If you can accomplish the first and check the second without pulling the manifold out, go for it!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:07 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I found that the only way I could get the surfaces really clean and flat was to remove the manifold.

It is common for some of the ISL manifolds to crack where the number 3 exhaust port merges with the manifold. Mine looked fine from underneath the engine but when inspected from above I found a crack that was just starting. Be sure to really look the manifold over carefully… now is the time to replace it if needed. I didn’t see the year of your coach but I also replaced the flexible oil line to the turbo while doing this work.

[ATTACH]387996
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	387995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2294.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	387996  

Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
I found that the only way I could get the surfaces really clean and flat was to remove the manifold.

It is common for some of the ISL manifolds to crack where the number 3 exhaust port merges with the manifold. Mine looked fine from underneath the engine but when inspected from above I found a crack that was just starting. Be sure to really look the manifold over carefully… now is the time to replace it if needed. I didn’t see the year of your coach but I also replaced the flexible oil line to the turbo while doing this work.

[ATTACH]387996

Thanks for the advice. Any idea on part number or size of the rubber hose you replaced? My cracked open while removing the manifold bolts. It looks like it’s a coolant line though?
Old 03-12-2023, 07:35 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Pictures would be good. There isn’t a coolant line.. but there is a drain hose that connects the bottom of the turbo to the side of the block for oil return. I ordered it through Cummins By my engine serial number. The oil feed line comes into the top side of the turbo and is a s/steel braided line. I will send you a PM if you need additional info.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't have an account on the Cummins Quickserve site I'd suggest creating on and registering your engine using the SN. It has a lot of information on parts and maintenance. You should be able to find a parts breakdown of the turbo lubrication lines.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion. I just signed up for Cummins Quickserve. Looks very helpful. Here are some photos of the rubber hose I am wondering about. When it broke, quite a bit of antifreeze came out of the nipple it was connected to. There is a hard line connected to the same location that runs to the engine block. The other end of this line runs to the coolant expansion tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2484 (3).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	388027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	388028  

Name:	IMG_2486 (2).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	388029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2487 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	388030  

Old 03-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My system is a little different (I think).

I had a small hose attached to a fitting on the pipe for the thermostat. The small hose went to the top of my surge tank. I replaced it when I replaced the surge tank, it was hard and brittle, probably because of the heat.

There was another small hose that went from the top of the surge tank to the radiator, it was fine so I didn't replace.

Quickserve is a great site once you learn how to navigate around it. When I find a parts page I need I'll print it to PDF and save it my files. I have a lot of info that I've accumulated over the years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:40 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think that may be coolant for the turbo actuator. Recall watching a Youtube clip where a guy needed to work inside the actuator, and drained a few gal of coolant before opening it.

The older models may not have that.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:29 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Mine is an 03 and doesn’t have coolant routed to the turbo. Quickserve is your parts link for the added items. Just be sure to look at the manifold carefully. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:36 AM   #11

QuickServe shows coolant lines for my Aug-03 built ISL 400. It's in section 10.

One funky thing I've noticed on QuickServe is that if I want to print or save a page to .pdf, I need to search and select that item from the left side index. If I use the search function, the "print page" is not available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10-041 Turbocharger Coolant Hoses.pdf (737.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I was able to replace all manifold gaskets without having to remove the turbo thank goodness. I went for a test drive today and I heard a slight whistle sound at low speeds when I stepped on the peddle. I didn’t hear anything as I got up to speed and set the cruise control. Is the whistle sound just the turbo winding up or is this still a possible small leak near a manifold port?
Old 04-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #13

Turbo winding up does make a whistle sound, but, if you never heard it before.........?
Old 04-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #14

When looking for an exhaust leak I use a length of rubber hose with one end pressed to my ear and the other run along the exh manifold. this cuts out the other engine noise and lets me concentrate on just the sounds near the hose end. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, gas, gasket