Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
FASS Pump Noise?

How many of you after installing and running it for some time experience a high pitch noise? I have some other weird sounds I can’t explain here almost like debris in the particulate filter. FASS says it’s normal and gives me answer it seems anytime I ask about it. Generally they say that can be normal? If the pressures are good don’t worry about it. My pressure is good at 17 and amp draw around 5.7amp which is in its range of normal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 06:10 AM   #2

Is you pump mounted using a rubber barrier?

I can hear mine if the engine is not running.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes and it didn’t make any noises originally. It’s a high pitch noise not related to mounts.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have you changed the filters at all???
When I changed mine the pump sounded a little different but then settled down.

Are the fittings tight, any chance it might be sucking air.

What about the return line, how did you do it?? Maybe run a temporary return back through your fill neck and see if the noise changes?

Although you say pressure is good, I wonder if something is partially blocking the suction line. You could pull the suction line off the fitting and stick it in the tank (after cleaning it really good) and see if that changes the sound.

What other variables can you easily check????
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I plan on changing the water separator filter before leaving to go home from here in FL. I have both but will start with that one. The one tech said that noise is normal at times????? All whisper quite early on in the change over. Fittings seem to be tight return is the typical setup we’ve all choose to do. Suggested I do the bucket test, but I don’t want to get into that mess down here in Florida so I will be changing the water filter and see what goes on after that. I posted somewhere on one of these two sites that I blew a fuse on the motor while arriving at a campground 400 + miles into my trip and once I change the fuse, I drove another 600+ miles down here to Florida and never had another issue. If I remember correctly I didn’t have the height pitch noise at that point. I’ll be changing that filter and report back. Just was curious if anyone else has experienced that noise.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:02 AM   #6

Can't say I have heard a high pitch noise from my FASS. I do know when it is time to change filters, the noise is different. I always change both filters at the same time.
My son changes FASS filters in his truck about every 25k miles. I usually do it every 2 years, or when necessary. Like this year, got some bad fuel and went through 4 sets of filters in 1 week until the tank cleared. Carry an extra set!
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah this new install has about 1200 mi on them. They suggested changing the water filter first🤷 I get a different suggestion from everyone I’ve spoke to at FASS.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FASS Pump Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Have you changed the filters at all???
When I changed mine the pump sounded a little different but then settled down.

Are the fittings tight, any chance it might be sucking air.

What about the return line, how did you do it?? Maybe run a temporary return back through your fill neck and see if the noise changes?

Although you say pressure is good, I wonder if something is partially blocking the suction line. You could pull the suction line off the fitting and stick it in the tank (after cleaning it really good) and see if that changes the sound.

What other variables can you easily check????

I thought about pulling the feed line off the pump and blow down thru it into the tank to see if it clears it up?
Old 03-26-2023, 09:11 AM   #9

I changed the water separator first, didn’t help, it was the primary filter clogging that caused the noise. I was at 14.5 lbs but the noise had been there for a month. Don’t get cheap, I cut open the primary and it had black little pieces in it from my tank. I don’t expect it again now that it’s been cleaned.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FASS Pump Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I changed the water separator first, didn’t help, it was the primary filter clogging that caused the noise. I was at 14.5 lbs but the noise had been there for a month. Don’t get cheap, I cut open the primary and it had black little pieces in it from my tank. I don’t expect it again now that it’s been cleaned.

Ok good to know, they said 14-18 is the psi range but said don’t wait till it goes to 14.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Yeah this new install has about 1200 mi on them. They suggested changing the water filter first[emoji1745] I get a different suggestion from everyone I’ve spoke to at FASS.
That's too bad.
I only deal with the diesel performance shop that installed it, never talked directly with FASS.
I have to say, I have been impressed with the FASS overall. In my extended family, we have 6 FASS lift pumps in use. Never a problem with any of them.
You can hear them running when I switch on the key, but nothing after the engine is started. The noise I hear is just a normal hum.
I would have the installer recheck the installation (kinked lines, bad connections, excessive sealant on connections, etc.
I would still change both filters, just to eliminate that factor entirely. And you don't have to use FASS filters. I'm still not sold on the new water separator w/o the drain valve
Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FASS Pump Noise?

I was the installer whisper Quiet initially. I’m sure one or both filters might cure it. Yeah I don’t like the new water separator filter either. It’s just a sponge basically🤷
Old 03-26-2023, 11:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reprobate what water separator are you using in place of their filter? I know they mentioned you can use a different filter but without looking up the video or calling them I was curious if you have changed it. They mentioned the filter they use is an accumulative absorption type material.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Mine developed the high pitched whine after about 5,000 miles.
No drop in pressure whatsoever. Changed both FASS filters to the new, larger size. End of whine. I figure after 5,000 miles the tank contents have been filtered hundreds of times over.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, pump