Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 03:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fault Code Reader for a Cummins ISL

Do any of you have your own fault code reader for a Cummins ISL engine and if so, what make and model is it? Also, can you provide a brief description of how it works or is used? Does it simply provide the code, which you manually look up somewhere or does it provide the actual fault information beyond just a simple code?

A yellow engine check light came on yesterday in our '05 MADP with a 400HP Cummins ISL. The light was illuminated and the buzzer would sound continually until I stopped and turned the engine off. When I restarted the engine the warning light would stay off for 10 to 15 minutes then come back on again with the buzzer sounding. We had to drive like this for about 150 miles.

We're at an RV park where we'll be for a week but it's the long Easter weekend so none of the shops are open to get a fault code from the system. This got me to thinking it would be good to have my own fault code reader.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

I have had multiple check engine and engine stop lights. I have found that Cummins quick serve https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html will give me the codes and even the part number of the effected sensors or parts that triggered the light. This is only usable if you can read messages in your dash readout. I don't know if your year has the capability. Other wise all the internet searching I did was off not much value, many conflicting causes and issues.
Silverleaf VMSPC is not much help either since Cummins info is propriety so they can't give you much of the formation.

Be sure to check your coolant tank level it can trigger light.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Siverleaf VMSpc does have the capability to provide some of the fault code information. Also has the ability to provide real time information in regards to faults with alarms.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
In the case of a check engine light the first and most likely culprit is low water level in the reservoir.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

the OTC HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER 3417 KIT is a easy compact system that will be easy to keep in the coach. It uses the 6 pin connector for the older diagnostic systems and the newer 9 pin J1939 CAN system. Several on ebay now for cheap Some extra provided info

For heavy-duty shops that need a second tool in the shop and for their mobile repair trucks or for general repair shops
Heavy Duty Standard coverage for those who do not own a Genisys or other family tool
HD J1587 / J1708 and J1939 CAN Engine Transmission/ABS coverage and more
Class 4 - Class 8 truck coverage featuring Automatic Protocol Search
Supports multiple Global OBD II trouble code requests
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
In the case of a check engine light the first and most likely culprit is low water level in the reservoir.
Thanks for the reminder... It's so easy to overlook the obvious.

I really hate the poor sight glass on those reservoirs. The level looked ok through the sight glass but a check with a dipstick showed it was indeed low. I'll bring the level up to spec and see if the indicator stays off when we hit the road again this coming weekend. Our next stop is also near a large metro area so I can have the error code read their if the warning is still coming on.

I really have to get a code reader.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

If you really hate the sight glass call Spartan and order the new glass, it is great.
P/N 3277K34
https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The Siverleaf VMSpc does have the capability to provide some of the fault code information. Also has the ability to provide real time information in regards to faults with alarms.

Most of the time and maybe one times in twenty the VMSPC gives and actual number. Most of the time says unknown. The Spartan dash readout (lightbar) gives actual numbers every time.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
scan guage "D". does it also. Why not call your chassis MFG. Ask them how to read codes. Normally there is a way with reading the flashes of the check engine light. I know this has been true with FL.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #10

best code reader IMO for a motor coach owner is a good cell phone w/Cummins code reading app coupled w/a Deutsch 9-pin to OBD2 DTC pigtail, coupled to a quality bluetooth OBD2 DTC adapter.

You can google "Deutsch 9-pin to OBD" and find a plethora of options.
You can google "OBDLink MX" and you'll find the bluetooth unit I bought which is top of the line at least 2 years ago when I researched it. Best supported device of the type IMO at time I researched. I also downloaded 2 other apps for code reading on my passenger car vehicles, and this is now my default device for that even tho I have radically higher priced scantools in my collection of trash.

Then go to google app store for android or (I'm guessing) apple app store, and search "cummins" and you'll find a code reader app by Cummins, was free when I downloaded it.
Works like a charm. Cost me less than $100 (got bluetooth gizmo on sale, pigtail was about $40 delivered from a made-in-USA source; you can go cheap on both and save over that price but some of the cheap blutooth gizzies don't work and a friend got a bad and very cheap pigtail made you know where which wasted a good bit of his time).
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
the OTC HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER 3417 KIT is a easy compact system that will be easy to keep in the coach. It uses the 6 pin connector for the older diagnostic systems and the newer 9 pin J1939 CAN system. Several on ebay now for cheap Some extra provided info

For heavy-duty shops that need a second tool in the shop and for their mobile repair trucks or for general repair shops
Heavy Duty Standard coverage for those who do not own a Genisys or other family tool
HD J1587 / J1708 and J1939 CAN Engine Transmission/ABS coverage and more
Class 4 - Class 8 truck coverage featuring Automatic Protocol Search
Supports multiple Global OBD II trouble code requests
What do you consider cheap? I did a search and they are running over $1,500 on e-bay
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Under $20

LINK

Blue Tooth LINK
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, If you google OTC HEAVY DUTY 3418 SCANNER you will find several sources for under $400. National Tool Warehouse has it for $368 with free shipping.
Nifty Interior has it for $284, but they charge over two hundred dollars for shipping/handling.

I advise not purchasing one of the $110-$135 heavy duty diesel scanners on eBay! They are OBDII automotive scanners that are adapted to J1939 and do not work. I just returned one today.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Under $20

LINK

Blue Tooth LINK
Thanks, but the first one is an adapter, not a scanner. The second link is an OBDII which is an automotive scanner, not for heavy duty vehicles which use J1939 protocol.

Tags
cummins