Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 04:29 AM   #1

Flickering CEL 275ISB

Hello,

Under high throttle / low RPM, high throttle / high RPM, high load conditions, I am getting a CEL that mostly flickers, but sometimes is steady. When I was starting from a stop light, it flickered multiple times on our most recent trip, and on same trip, when I was in the mountains climbing a grade, it was steady and nearly didn't make it up the mountain. Crested at 25mph decreasing.... I'm not interested in driving the coach except to test out solutions, and have neither time / money to drop it at garage.

During the past year, the engine was replaced along with the VP44 as well as the lift pump (purchased it with known bad engine).

1) The coach is factory standard except for the lift pump (FASS). What diagnostic / preventative / proactive things would you install / look at that may solve the CEL but also prevent future problems (if it doesn't fix CEL).

2) I intend to change all three fuel filters (the water sep near radiator, the fuel filter mounted to engine, and the frame rail filter).

3) I have checked coolant level in surge tank and it is good.

4) No idea what other "sensors" trigger the CEL. Anyone have a list of trigger conditions?

5)I cannot get the code to "hard set" on, so I cannot read it with my diagnostic tool ($100 HD truck reader from amazon). I have heard that VMS will log it if it happens while VMS connected. Anyone know positively that Bluefire will do the same?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

With the conditions you describe , TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) is possible but should set code .

Check connections from TPS on the pedal to the dash .

Every code list should have an indication of the sensor involved with setting the CEL/code.
Coolant level should be at the MAX cold line , anywhere below could trigger the low coolant warning, when sloshing around .

Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis ? If so do you know the chassis build date ?
Freightliner chassis underwent a MAJOR wiring harness change Jan 4 1999, but many coaches of the 1999 model year were built on 1998 chassis .

EDIT: Info at this site might help .

http://www.diesel-service-parts.com/...ult-codes.html
Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #3

Thank you -- that website will be useful if I can get the code to stay. On my coach / engine combo the code does not get "hard" set unless engine is turned off with the CEL on. Of course I can bring it in to Cummins, but I would prefer to solve the problem myself if able.

Appreciate the link
Old 09-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis ? If so do you know the chassis build date ?
Freightliner chassis underwent a MAJOR wiring harness change Jan 4 1999, but many coaches of the 1999 model year were built on 1998 chassis .
Yes it is a Freightliner XC chassis built on Feb 2nd, 1999.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #5

Solved (I think).... after that loss of power and associated CEL, I started to think maybe it was fuel starvation and sure enough it was a very kinked fuel hose to the engine mounted fuel filter. Replaced the fuel hose and problem solved. I hope it does not affect VP44 longevity, but driving it now it has a lot more power and no CEL.

I have VMSpc hooked up and ready to record any future intermittent codes, but so far nothing.

Next trip is a 1600mile journey so we shall see.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you've done all you can to be proactive in maintaining your rig.
One suggestion might be to add a fuel pressure gauge. I did this when I installed my FASS system and can see the fuel pressure my CAPS pump is getting prior to startup and while running.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Sounds like you've done all you can to be proactive in maintaining your rig.
One suggestion might be to add a fuel pressure gauge. I did this when I installed my FASS system and can see the fuel pressure my CAPS pump is getting prior to startup and while running.
Jim -- yes I am absolutely looking at installing one. I have heard of some very different installs though. Mainly how to tap into the line (my plan is post engine mounted fuel filter but prior to VP44), what type of sensor to use (analog vs digital), and how to get that data up to the dashboard.

I'm going to install myself. Do you have a recommendation that will be easiest?
Old 03-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My secondary filter had a tapped port to install a sensor. Other IRV2 member had used the one that I went with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27441097649...53.m2749.l2649

Had to have an adapter and I went ahead and bought a 40' extension cable, although you could use a twisted pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29123042281...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29443123077...kAAOSwDGxhVu1Y

I had enough room to install the gauge in my dash, easily visible when I turn the key on and while driving. At startup my gauge reads ~16psi, on hard pulls it may drop to 13psi.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:19 AM   #9

Not sure if Cummins is the same as OBD II in a gas vehicle, but in a gas vehicle the blinking light indicates a misfire.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:28 AM   #10

Thanks - it was not a repetitive blinking like a misfire or limp-home mode in a car. It was an intermittent light that was coming on due to some sensor "seeing" a problem.

I'll have a trip report after our next big one
Old 03-30-2022, 02:06 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd certainly scan for codes. Get a Scanguage-D (I'm selling one in the marketplace) and that will give you the code information. Then log on to Cummins' site and get the code's meaning/diagnostic information.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:48 AM   #12

If the check engine light came on it set a code in memory. Your scanner may not show it but it is there. I learned that lesson the hard way in my quest to resolve a ecm issue I had a couple of months ago. I had to get a insite scanner to get all the codes and was able to diagnose my issues after that. Had I not done that I would have replaced a caps pump that wasn't the issue.

Make sure whatever scanner you use gets all the codes.

I was using Bluefire for motorhomes and it failed to give me all the codes I needed to solve my issues. You get what you pay for.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote