Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #29

It's been a couple of years since I pulled the balancer so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember it being a booger to get off. I had a frame member and battery box behind the crank that in hindsight i should have removed. At the time I read the Cummins procedure on inspecting the harmonic balancer and it didn't make much sense with what I was seeing. I saw nothing obviously wrong with mine, so I re-installed it.
Sitting here typing I think of a question. Does the harmonic balancer need to be installed to a certain position? With four bolts, it could go on in four different positions. I've probably driven 15,000 miles since the repair, but reading this thread brings up questions in my mind about how I did it.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #30

It's Time to Inspect Your Harmonic Damper
(But please don't call it a balancer)

What Is A Harmonic Balancer, aka Crankshaft Damper?
A harmonic balancer reduces destructive crankshaft torsional vibration, which is the end-to-end twisting/rebound motion, that is naturally generated during each power stroke.* A harmonic balancer contributes to greater valve train and timing efficiency, plus reduces wear of critical engine components such as main bearings, oil pump and the crankshaft itself.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

A harmonic balancer reduces destructive crankshaft torsional vibration, which is the end-to-end twisting/rebound motion, that is naturally generated during each power stroke.* A harmonic balancer contributes to greater valve train and timing efficiency, plus reduces wear of critical engine components such as main bearings, oil pump and the crankshaft itself.
Sorry, this engine only has a single hunk of steel. No damper.
See below,

I think you'll find that the balancer is just a single hunk of steel meaning no inertia ring as our engines are internally balanced - Just a counter weight just clean it --paint it and re-install it .
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #32

So I wasn't "PC" with the official name of the piece of steel that does nothing, why do they install them on most motors, probably a good reason....Sorry I don't have a Cummins one and never claimed to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12696010_10154030298644736_210266133_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	118976   Click image for larger version

Name:	12736149_10154030298519736_677580832_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	118977  

Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Inspect for what, how, are there specialty machines that do this?
Your description of a damper makes sense and it seems that it would be more critical on a long crank like an inline 6. So if it's purpose is to dampen torsional vibrations, would that mean the clock position on the crank would not matter? I'm guessing it doesn't matter since there is no keyway or other means to mount it in a particular position.
I'm sorry to hijack the OP's question, but maybe this will help him too.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 02-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #34

Wow this is moving faster than I can read. And it's much more fun to read than the missing switch, dead battery, tpms, stuff on the A section.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Inspect for what, how, are there specialty machines that do this?
Your description of a damper makes sense and it seems that it would be more critical on a long crank like an inline 6. So if it's purpose is to dampen torsional vibrations, would that mean the clock position on the crank would not matter? I'm guessing it doesn't matter since there is no keyway or other means to mount it in a particular position.
I'm sorry to hijack the OP's question, but maybe this will help him too.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Last one I changed on a Cat Had a Key, the op asked a question about the seal and the dampener is involved with the seal replacement, didn't realize the dampener does nothing on a Cummins.......(inline six)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Front main seal replacement

I'll take pictures.

On QuickServe, there were instructions on checking the Vibration Damper including measuring the thickness and coating it with something and putting it in the oven and look for leakage.

I'll have to go back and review again.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
I'll take pictures.

On QuickServe, there were instructions on checking the Vibration Damper including measuring the thickness and coating it with something and putting it in the oven and look for leakage.

I'll have to go back and review again.

Paul
Check it for what? the others claim it does nothing......
Old 02-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Front main seal replacement

Well, if QuickServe for my ESN indicates some checks, I am going to go with their recommendations.

Paul
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1455419774.305397.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	118978

Paul
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The original design front seal was neoprene. The new design front seal is teflon. With the teflon seal, DO NOT remove the plastic sleeve from the inside of the seal prior to installing the seal. DO NOT lubricate the teflon seal or the crankshaft prior to installing the seal. If you do lubricate it during assembly, it will leak.

Yes, you can remove the front timing cover if you want. Doing that is assuming that the old seal was installed out of line to the crankshaft, which is doubtful. If the old seal has begun to leak simply because it is old and worn out, then a simple replacement of just the oil seal should suffice.

Remove the old seal. Push the new seal onto the crankshaft and into the timing cover making sure NOT TO REMOVE the plastic sleeve until the seal is full installed. Again, NO LUBRICATION.

Having said all this, there's absolutely no harm to removing the timing cover, with one caveat. When prying the timing cover from the timing plate, try to not disturb the timing plate to engine block gasket. That could lead to an oil leak at the timing plate to engine block gasket, and that can be a whole lot of work to fix.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Check it for what? the others claim it does nothing......
Sorry to mislead, these dampers do need to be replaced. I was poking fun at the poster that said it was only a hunk of steel which is definetly not true.
If I recall, the OP's engine has over 100K on it.
If it were mine, I would replace it since it has to be removed anyway.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now retired, our diesel engine machine shop included a complete crankshaft rebuilding department. The #1 cause of crankshaft breakage was a defective front crankshaft harmonic damper. Often overlooked, sometimes decided to reuse due to cost, the subsequent engine component damage could be extensive. It is not possible to determine the condition of a crankshaft harmonic damper by looking at it.

The strangest case we had was a freshly rebuilt diesel engine that experienced multiple camshaft breakages just behind the #1 bearing journal. This was eventually determined to be caused by a defective NEW crankshaft front harmonic damper.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, seal