Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Fuel "algae" question

I did a dumb thing and stayed 4 months in a park on the Texas gulf coast without starting the rig...and, the dumb part, the tank was only 1/2 full of diesel. It's a warm, humid climate so wonder if l can expect filters to clog when I leave. Any suggestions for an additive that might help alleviate any potential issues? Is there a high probablity that I have "algae' growing in my tank? 100 gallon tank and I have only about 45 gallons of fuel in it. Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Well Sofa, You may be relieved to know that most diesel sold in warm areas has biocide in it at the pump. There is a problem though, if you bought fuel at a truck pump four months ago, the biocide may be gone by now. So, the answer is (my bet as a ship's engineer) as soon as you are moving, go get new fuel in the tank. If you are out and about in the towed, stop by a auto or marine store and read the bottles, then buy some "Diesel Fuel Conditioner" that says it prevents such issues.

By the way, if you had started the rig in those 4 months, it would not make any difference. In actual fact, all you might have done was stir up what ever is growing in there so it could clog the filters sooner.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Any additive will only stop the growth of new algae , you still have to clear the existing debris from the system .
Expect to change filters several times , primary in particular.
Because the fuel system in your coach returns unused fuel from the motor to the tank ,the filters plug up fast. By the time you use a tank of fuel , all the fuel from the tank has been through the filters 5+ times .
At the first sign of engine power loss ( performance ) change the filters , and look for black slime as shown in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algea in fuel filter.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	198017  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
No need to start and run it unless you are going to drive it as stated, put some of this in and fill her up..... https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ocide-16-fl-oz
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 100 gallons full of algae that we could see it with a flashlight on the walls of the tank from either filler neck.
As stated we had to make several filters changes before it was over but also used the shock treatment and maintenance treatments of BioBor with great success.
And we still use it to this day.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #6

+1 on Biobor JF treatment. I always use it - it only takes an ounce per 40 gallons.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My coach had a biologic infestation in it when we bought it. The PO was changing fuel filters every few months. We used a shock treatment of biobor JF to kill it and Startron for diesel to dissolve it and haven't had any issues. We also use a maintenance treatment of biobor JF every time we fill up.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I can attest that by NOT paying attention to the fuel regularly, it can cost in the neighborhood of ~$1000 to have the fuel tank flushed and the fuel polished.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

Thanks for all your coaching on the fuel issue! It did have a happy ending. We put a fuel treatment in the tank, topped it off, and made it 950 miles from Rockport, TX to Willcox, AZ before the "check engine" light came on. Saw a TA Truck Stop sign, pulled off, they had mechanics and empty bays, and one hour later, new filters and the light went off. WHEW!!! I'm guessin' that the fuel additives from the truck stop fuel we got on the way down helped a lot. Will change them again when we get home to Washington State, just to be sure. Thanks again! We very much appreciate the help we get on this forum!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We always carry a spare set and although not yet required are ready to change them on the side of the road if needed.

Happy trails!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #11

Another believer in the Biobor JF product. Been using it for many years starting with marine applications when I stored my boats for 6 months, tanks full, with a good shot of the Biobor.

These days my truck gets the same treatment. Tanks are filled before going into storage from Nov to Apr & it gets a good dose of Biobor along with a few miles of running to get it through the entire system.

In your case I'd be inclined to give what is in the tank the shock treatment amount of biobor, take it to a fuel station & top off with fresh fuel & add a bit more biobor for good measure. Run the tank down low before filling again.

No doubt Biobor can be found on Amazon. Off the shelf, not so easy. Try marine stores or places that sell stuff for farm equipment. Those machines sit for months unused too.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel