Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Fuel Filter change

I know this topic has been hashed over. beaten up and run over by a truck but I am about to do fluid change on our 2009 Holiday Rambler with Cummins ISB. I have read all the pros and cons of prefilling the fuel filter/water separator and will try it installed dry and use the plunger primer. But what I have not heard anything about is the second fuel filter on the top of the engine. Should I prefill that or will the plunger fill that also. I am just trying not to have too many problems first time at it.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #2

I had a Cat C7 in our last coach. The Cat manual warned about not prefilling due to the fuel you pour into the filter may not get filtered before it makes it down stream. I was worried the first time I did it but, after 5 years of annual service I never had a problem pumping it up with the primer plunger. I always changed the water separator and the fuel filter at the same time. On this engine the held about 3/4 of a gallon combined.
On our current coach I had the first annual done by a truck service center so I haven't done this one yet.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

Fuel Filter change

Do not pre fill the secondary filter unless you like buying fuel injectors.change one filter at a time to make life easier.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

Mission accomplished. Did the fuel/water filter first and installed dry and used plunger and cycled key four or five times and started no problem. Had a little more excitement with the second filter on the engine. I am having a harder time starting engine now with the second filter installed. I have to cycle twice before it will start. It always started with just a turn of the key before but now I crank and crank and no start. Turn key off and back on twice and it will start after some cranking.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
Mission accomplished. Did the fuel/water filter first and installed dry and used plunger and cycled key four or five times and started no problem. Had a little more excitement with the second filter on the engine. I am having a harder time starting engine now with the second filter installed. I have to cycle twice before it will start. It always started with just a turn of the key before but now I crank and crank and no start. Turn key off and back on twice and it will start after some cranking.
You are likely getting some air pulled into the filter. I had this problem once. Could be the spin filter (second filter) is not installed correctly. Possibilities... filter cross threaded... main gasket tweaked/bad... missing gasket in the center... doubled up gasket (old and new) in the center.

Good luck,

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #6

Just let it run at high idle for a few minutes and see if that helps. Or better yet go for a quick spin.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
I had a Cat C7 in our last coach. The Cat manual warned about not prefilling due to the fuel you pour into the filter may not get filtered before it makes it down stream. I was worried the first time I did it but, after 5 years of annual service I never had a problem pumping it up with the primer plunger. I always changed the water separator and the fuel filter at the same time. On this engine the held about 3/4 of a gallon combined.
On our current coach I had the first annual done by a truck service center so I haven't done this one yet.
I re-read this and need to clarify. I never prefilled the filters. I always put them on dry and used the primer plunger to fill. Most of the time it took 50+ pumps before becoming hard to pump.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

I changed the fuel/water filter first and started and restarted o couple of times so I don.t think it is that filter[but could be in my case] The fuel filter on the engine I changer out and did not replace the center "O" ring gasket and it leaked, so pulled the filter back off and replaced the center gasket and no leaks and after I cycled it and used plunger again started. But as stated I am having trouble restarting. Provided it is not pouring raining I will take for drive. I do not believe I have cross threaded as it went on too easy and hit mounting surface nice and easy. No leaks. I will drive tomorrow and report back. Thanks to all for the advise. This is not my first oil change just first one on diesel. Doall my own work on cars .
Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rest assured, if you put everything on proper, then you will be fine. My ISL took forever to settle down, two days worth. 1 tiny bubble in the line disrupes the flow, IT will go away!

Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Do you have a high idle?
Before I just pulled out on highway, I'd want to be sure it was ok...

You should be able to turn cruise control on, then set engine speed up to about 1200 rpm....let it run for 15 or 20 minutes. That should get any air out of fuel system.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change