Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

Fuel Filter Fuel/Water Seperator

Trying to swap out my Fuel Filter and Water/Fuel separators.
When I pull the plug on the separator the suction continually pulls fuel from the tank and never empties. I have searched all over and do not see a shutoff to stop flow and maintain suction.
ISC 6.7
Winnebago Journey

Any advice?

Thanks
Caymanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #2

You will need to install a diesel-compatible ball valve on the inlet to your primary fuel filter. Not aware of any OE installations that came with one.

You are correct, if level of fuel in tank is above that of the fuel filter, fuel WILL run out.

But, that actually, is better than the alternative-- if level of fuel in tank is lower, fuel will drain back to the tank, leaving you with 30+ feet of AIR in the fuel line that will need to be purged!

Until you install the ball valve, just have a bucket under the filter, new filter with O rings on it ready to go and all tools at hand. Be sure to remove old O rings.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

I was afraid that was the solution.....thanks
Caymanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:21 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Any part of the fuel line from tank to primary water separator made from “rubber”? I have used fuel line crimp pliers or needle nose vise grips with a couple of plastic/rubber hose covers slipped over the teeth to squeeze hoses and block fuel flow.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #5

I've removed the line from the in side of the filter housing and zip tied it up higher than tank level to stop the flow. Much better than a diesel bath!
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #6

I took the head unit from the filter/separator down to the local Goodyear Rubber Products and bought some ball valves and had them install them with appropriate elbows, straight pipes, etc - one on in and one on out:

Installed

Works great.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, water