Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
Filling fuel filters with ATF, engine oil or the like on a DPF exhaust equiped engine is a problem. The filter is not able to process that amount of "ash" at once and after a few "filter fills" will plug...

Technology that was great, is now obsolete. USLD type fuel is the only thing any engine mfg would recommend IF they were to recommend anything.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Filling fuel filters with ATF, engine oil or the like on a DPF exhaust equiped engine is a problem. The filter is not able to process that amount of "ash" at once and after a few "filter fills" will plug...

Technology that was great, is now obsolete. USLD type fuel is the only thing any engine mfg would recommend IF they were to recommend anything.
I agree. Next someone will post saying they always pre-fill with alcohol -the drinking kind.
I have never pre-filled a fuel filter, and have never had my DP diesel engine fail to start. Cummins says to use the lift pump, I do.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 AM   #45

re -- dry filter install
'Yes', by cycling the ignition, the fuel-pump may fill the filter.
But... what happens to a pint/quart of filter air... in the injection-pump?
In the injectors?
Do those components use fuel as lubrication?
On our 1996 Cummins 505ci, we use a lever on the fuel-pump to pump fuel into the filter.
With the filter a half-turn from 'tight', the filter is full of fuel just before fuel leaks out.
Tighten, start, check for leaks.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post

Yes. That is totally correct
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #47

You may also use Power Service Diesel Kleen to pre-fill your filters. An added benefit is it will clean everything downstream from the filter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #48

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So often the answer is to follow the manufacturer's instructions!

On Fleetguard filters, is the procedure for a filter change. This includes telling you to pre-fill the filter with the correct fluid.

Just follow instructions!

BTW to fill fuel filters with *diesel* I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes that refill easy to do. (Ah, the blessings of having a close connection to a chem/bio lab at the university... you learn all kinds of ways to move fluids from point A to point B!)

Always fill filters from the outside holes, never the inside center hole. Outside holes are the filter's inlet!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
So often the answer is to follow the manufacturer's instructions!

On Fleetguard filters, is the procedure for a filter change. This includes telling you to pre-fill the filter with the correct fluid.

Just follow instructions!

BTW to fill fuel filters with *diesel* I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes that refill easy to do. (Ah, the blessings of having a close connection to a chem/bio lab at the university... you learn all kinds of ways to move fluids from point A to point B!)

Always fill filters from the outside holes, never the inside center hole. Outside holes are the filter's inlet!
Your engine owners manual trumps the filter mfgr. website.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #50

I always pre-fill.

Just use what ever works for you to ensure ALL of the fuel goes into the small outer hole(s), and not the center outlet hole.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #51

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your engine owners manual trumps the filter mfgr. website.
Just to break the (sad?) news to you, Fleetguard is Cummin's factory filter branch! So yes, what Fleetguard says is what Cummins says. And again, follow instructions!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #52

Although this is about a 1 in a zillion chance, using red atf will dye your fuel red, and it takes very little, so getting a fuel check will show you are using off road fuel. Just saying but I'm sure I will get beat up on this.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #53

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Although this is about a 1 in a zillion chance, using red atf will dye your fuel red, and it takes very little, so getting a fuel check will show you are using off road fuel. Just saying but I'm sure I will get beat up on this.

I have used atf in my commercial trucks for years. The DOT, if they check, can tell if it’s off road fuel or fuel with atf added
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #54

DobeBus; I didn't realize they could but when I think about it I can see where they could. I haven't driven in years so never had to mess with dyed or not. Although back when I drove the 71 series Detroits there were all kinds of "remedies" to make them go faster and atf was one.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #55

With today's sophisticated emission equipment, let's be careful about recommending what worked just fine two decades ago.

Not suggesting some of the suggestions are wrong, but I would SURE run those "I slammed the injection system with 2 quarts of XX/YY" by the engine manufacturer.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #56

I used ATF in my older more primitive diesels but would not try it in a newer SCR equipped system. Only a small amount of ATF will make it to the injectors anyway as most of the fuel simply returns to the tank along with any air, so most of that ATF will end up diluting out in the tank.
At any rate my Bluetec primes electrically after installation by just cycling the key a couple times. On my TDI VW recommends purging by operating the fuel pump through a scan tool which I do with OBDeleven and my smartphone. It wouldn't surprise me if the newer more complex diesels in RVs would require that as well.
Diesels are just too complex and expensive today to follow Bubba's recommendations from the 70's, and it doesn't take much of a particle contamination to mess with expensive pumps and injectors.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel