Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 11:46 PM   #1

Post Fuel Question for diesel

Cummins 8.3L ATC 6
Can I blend in auto gas, & av-gas in with the diesel @ ?? %, 10 or 20%??
WHY..... I sold my Cessna 3 years ago & I burnt a mix of 80% auto & 20% 100LL because of lead fouling to small bore Continental engines, an O-300 6 cylinder. The engine was design for 0.5grams of lead that was in 80/87 & now the 100LL has 2.0 grams of lead which causes plug fouling & exhaust valve stem build up, the engine did not run hot enough. My mix work great, clean plugs & no build up anywhere in the combustion area......
I have 40 gallons of mix & 9 gallons of 100LL & 50 gallons of OLD (8+years) auto gas in my fuel shed sealed up in 55 gallon barrels.
I CAN'T BURN THESE FUELS IN MY CARS & the fuel is old, 4 years on the airplane mix & the 8+ on the auto. They all run good in the lawn mower.
Since diesel engines are built much stronger for Ceptane not Octane fuels can I blend in say 1 Gallon to 10 diesel with out any troubles?? I have heard of people fueling with auto gas but should have been diesel & caught the mistake before pumping to much, changed to fill with diesel & drove off with no troubles.
WHAT YOU ALL THINK???
BluewaveRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 12:12 AM   #2

Diesel is used as fuel for the engine , BUT it's also used as a lubricant and coolant in the ; injector pump and injectors, gas is a dry fuel and can do serious damage to the areas in the pump that produce the highest pressure in the injector pump and score the moving parts causing a drop in the pressure they produce the same can happen in the injector itself .
The drop in efficacy might not be felt immediately but there will be long term effects, probably shortening the service life of the parts.

I've replaced injector pumps on trucks that didn't make two miles with a concentration of gas in the diesel ; owners though they'd just drive to the shop to get the tank drained.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:09 AM   #3

I sure wouldn't do it. Gasoline in diesel for modern diesel engines just don't play well together as Skip indicated. I saw what happened when someone accidentally pumped about 10 gallons of gas in his diesel pusher tank. The expense of the engine repair was out of this world!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:34 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In a modern diesel engine I would not mix.

What I would do is list it for sale on Craig's List or Facebook Market place. Boaters, off road motorcycle riders, classic car/motorcycle owners will garb it as it's ethanol free and the added lead shouldn't hurt the engine. Not sure how it might have aged but being high octane and in a sealed drum might not have degraded too much. List at 10-15% off what E10 gas is going for locally per gallon. Problem gone in an hour.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
DO NOT mix gasoline in any quantity with diesel fuel unless you intend to rebuild the engine and fuel system. The injectors and fuel pump depend on the fuel for lubrication.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #6

Also gasoline burns much faster and will probably ignite before the intake valves closes fully due to higher operating temperatures in the cylinder. It would be auto-ignition far before it is designed. RESULT, you may get to buy a new $30,000 engine.

Yes, 40-50 years ago truckers would mix 1G gas into 50G diesel fuel in winter to prevent fuel gelling; but those engines were built much differently.
Today that would cause a diesel engine to run so hot, internal damage is sure to occur.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #7

NO...........NO.........NO

You can blend grades of diesel, kerosene but NOT GASOLINE with diesel and use it in your Diesel Engine.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #8

I know you said you can't burn it in your cars but why not? I recently had 5 gallons of water contaminated 2 stroke gasoline that I separated in a big glass jar and ran thru a funnel filter and have been burning it off in a gasser car at 1 gallon per 20 gallon fillup. If you dilute it enough I don't see why that would be a problem.
I was not willing to put it in any of my diesel vehicles although it would probably be OK in my old Powerstroke at 40:1 but it's just easier to use in the car. I actually spent more money on stuff to clean it up than it was worth but it was the best way I knew to dispose of it in a responsible manner.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:32 PM   #9

Put a ad on your local Craigslist.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #10

Can't because of the lead & Lacquer in it

The lead will fowl up the catalytic converter, only takes a small amount to ruin a converter. The computer monitoring the exhaust manifold O2 & down stream, after the converter O2 sensors will feed bad info to the computer. As for the OLD auto gas, it has changed color to to a redish & lost octane from being exposed to the air through breathing in an old RV fuel tank that it was in for years.
All of it burns good in "L" head low compression engines in lawn mowers. But new mowers are higher compression OHV type. My 2000 Weed Eater 38" lawn tractor with 12 hp Briggs runs on it good & that mower ran on Jet "A" good too, just can't cold start with Jet "A".
I have replaced my diesel engine & it was not cheap $10,250 long block & $5,700 @ Cummins for the injector pump. So much for the kid's inheritance!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I know you said you can't burn it in your cars but why not? I recently had 5 gallons of water contaminated 2 stroke gasoline that I separated in a big glass jar and ran thru a funnel filter and have been burning it off in a gasser car at 1 gallon per 20 gallon fillup. If you dilute it enough I don't see why that would be a problem.
I was not willing to put it in any of my diesel vehicles although it would probably be OK in my old Powerstroke at 40:1 but it's just easier to use in the car. I actually spent more money on stuff to clean it up than it was worth but it was the best way I knew to dispose of it in a responsible manner.
BluewaveRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:07 PM   #11

Really bad idea
Don't do it
You will be sorry.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaveRV View Post
The lead will fowl up the catalytic converter, only takes a small amount to ruin a converter. The computer monitoring the exhaust manifold O2 & down stream, after the converter O2 sensors will feed bad info to the computer. As for the OLD auto gas, it has changed color to to a redish & lost octane from being exposed to the air through breathing in an old RV fuel tank that it was in for years.
All of it burns good in "L" head low compression engines in lawn mowers. But new mowers are higher compression OHV type. My 2000 Weed Eater 38" lawn tractor with 12 hp Briggs runs on it good & that mower ran on Jet "A" good too, just can't cold start with Jet "A".
I have replaced my diesel engine & it was not cheap $10,250 long block & $5,700 @ Cummins for the injector pump. So much for the kid's inheritance!
John
In that case I would start inquiring about hazardous waste disposal, or just start disposing of a few gallons at a time at you local hazardous waste center. Ours is good about taking fuels but in limited quantities, if you try and take a whole barrel they will start screaming that you are commercial and "get out". We have enough locations that it's possible to "spread the love" with a little driving around.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel