Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Fuel Shut off problem

While on our trip when we stay a night or two somewhere the m/h has been hard to start each time, to the point today I had to find the problem to get it going. The fuel solenoid wasn't working so I pushed it up and the m/h fired right up. After that we only shut it down for a few minutes while checking into the next campground and it fired right up with no help this time.

My question is two part I guess, first is when I pushed the plunger in, it came back out a bit before it stopped (maybe 1/2" to 3/4", I can't say for sure because I didn't think about until later)but still started fine, does it have to be all the way in and would I be starving it for fuel if it wasn't in all the way?

Part two is does anyone have a part # for it. 98 Monaco Windsor with 8.3 Cummins. It's dark now so I won't be able to get any other numbers off the engine until daylight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 10:56 PM   #2

The fuel shut off solenoid on a P-7100 injection pump , is two stage ; pull and hold ; the pull portion gets a signal from the starter motor ( via a relay )when the engine is cranking and the hold from the ignition switch.

So bad power through the relay to pull the solenoid has to be investigated , before replacement .

Here's a diagram .
As far as parts are concerned , I believe all the P-7100 pumps used the same solenoid , so one listed for the same vintage 5.9 Cummins will be the same .
94>98 1/2 Dodge/ Cummins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel shut off_Wiring_Diagram_v1.png
Views:	135
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	342113  
Old 09-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #3

Thanks, I will be checking the wiring when I get home but was just trying to get a part # in case that's what it was which should be easy to find with the info you gave me.

Now I'm wondering if I need to zip tie it up for the trip home or if it's ok to just push it up like I did today.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #4

If the solenoid arm is tied up ; you can't shut the motor off with the key .

You'd have to cut the zip tie. Not much fun on a hot engine .
Old 09-06-2021, 12:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If the solenoid arm is tied up ; you can't shut the motor off with the key .

You'd have to cut the zip tie. Not much fun on a hot engine .
That's why I would like to do it the way I did today. Do you know if the arm is suppose to be all the way up or is it ok if it drops down a bit like mine did?

I have been down on power as well but I was thinking it's exhaust related because I'm only seeing 18lbs boost at the most. I'm going to be home in a couple days and have 5 or so hours of driving to get there and was going to go through everything then but could that be fuel related to?
Old 09-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
That's why I would like to do it the way I did today. Do you know if the arm is suppose to be all the way up or is it ok if it drops down a bit like mine did?

I have been down on power as well but I was thinking it's exhaust related because I'm only seeing 18lbs boost at the most. I'm going to be home in a couple days and have 5 or so hours of driving to get there and was going to go through everything then but could that be fuel related to?
Tie it up if you're down on power. Lack of fuel is really hard on your pump and they are expensive. If you don't see any difference with it tied up then I would not be so concerned.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Tie it up if you're down on power. Lack of fuel is really hard on your pump and they are expensive. If you don't see any difference with it tied up then I would not be so concerned.
Good point, that's what I will do to see if it does make a difference.

Tags
fuel, problem