Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuel Treatment after Service

I use the Power Service fuel treatment on my ‘06 Newmar coach. I just had a complete service done and I added their winter fuel treatment + cetane and also the tank cleaner at the specified quantities. I have not ever used the biocide treatment that they make in my RV. Should I?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

Do what makes you feel good as you are with the current additives. I only use anti-gel additive and then only when it approaches 0 deg f.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

The only thing you really need is a biocide like Biobor JF, everything else is just a feel good waste of money.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How often do you add?
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The only thing you really need is a biocide ...
I'm with IIIkrob ... the only additive I use is Power Service Bio Kleen. I use the maintenance dose at every fill.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I use Power Clean fuel additive on our 2000 ISC. Pre emission diesels were never designed to run on no/low sulphur diesel fuel. That is a fact.
I figure adding some lubericity can't hurt, but as others have stated maybe it's only a feel good thing. This may be a coincidence but I ran out of additive last spring, went ahead and filled up without any figuring it won't hurt.
Within 500 miles our lift pump failed internally and threw a check engine light. Upgraded to a FASS system, and yes, I still add Power Clean or Howes for added lubericity. Don't know if it helps, but I feel better.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
I use Power Clean fuel additive on our 2000 ISC. Pre emission diesels were never designed to run on no/low sulphur diesel fuel. That is a fact.
I figure adding some lubericity can't hurt, but as others have stated maybe it's only a feel good thing. This may be a coincidence but I ran out of additive last spring, went ahead and filled up without any figuring it won't hurt.
Within 500 miles our lift pump failed internally and threw a check engine light. Upgraded to a FASS system, and yes, I still add Power Clean or Howes for added lubericity. Don't know if it helps, but I feel better.
If adding lubricity is your concern use one of the top 5 in this ISO fuel lubricity study.Power Service is #10 on the list, Howes #11..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been using Power Clean Additive in my '04 American Eagle 400 ISL since I purchased it in 2012 (it had 12K on the clock now 53K)...I add it every other fillup & I haven't had a once of problems either with the motor of the Aqua Hot system..I service the 400 ISL myself as well as the Aqua Hot..I haven't serviced the diesel burner fuel nozzle on the Aqua Hot since 2012 & it sits for 6 months in winter storage in northern Illinois & the Cummins 400 fires right as well in spring as the Aqua Hot..I contribute this reliability to using the Power Clean Additive religiously...
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBnd View Post
I use the Power Service fuel treatment on my ‘06 Newmar coach. I just had a complete service done and I added their winter fuel treatment + cetane and also the tank cleaner at the specified quantities. I have not ever used the biocide treatment that they make in my RV. Should I?
I run Power Service products: + cetane for the summer, cold weather - Winter + cetane, and when the MH hibernates I add PS Clear-Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner with a Diesel storage stabilizes.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel treatment

After reading about the multiple problems with fuel contamination and lubrication issues with ULSD, I have began using Opti-Lube XLD. Since the engine in my coach was made in 2006 and the fuel changed around 2008 or so, I think the added lubrication this product offers will hopefully protect the injector pump and injectors much like adding zinc to the motor oils for my classic cars from the 50's and 60's.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
After reading about the multiple problems with fuel contamination and lubrication issues with ULSD, I have began using Opti-Lube XLD. Since the engine in my coach was made in 2006 and the fuel changed around 2008 or so, I think the added lubrication this product offers will hopefully protect the injector pump and injectors much like adding zinc to the motor oils for my classic cars from the 50's and 60's.
I wanted to add that it's important for those who have coaches in a model year that might 'bridge' either in this case the ULSD vs Type 2, or say a heavy Smog Change (EGR, DPF, DEF) Level. That as you did, get your engine Serial Number and call the manufactures tech support and confirm which engine level you have in your specific coach...

I ran OptiLube in each tank for about 10 years in our 04 Allure, with a 03 CAPS era ISL... I considered it cheap insurance...

Still run it out of habit in our 07, with 06 ISX CM870 Pre DPF engine. A bit more cetane helps for a more complete burn, and just can't see how extra lubricity can do anything but help. I also have been running in the first 4-5K miles of our ownership, Power Services Diesel Kleen...

On oil, Rawze is in favor of adding a bit of Gear Oil into your Oil Changes - as they still contain on the nice Zinc/Moly and other metals that old oils used to have - before regulated out. For the ISX, he suggested a gallon be added, as I recall... Those metal additives, really do help the engines contact metal surfaces, play nice together from a wear point of view! Similar to what you are doing on your rolling classics...

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I pride myself on never having washed any of the last four rv's I've had, and never adding additives in any, with no adverse effects...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All RV History.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	311388  
Old 12-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

I use anti gel when putting away for winter storage and use biobor every other fill. I had algae once and you don’t ever want it, as it’s a pain in the butt to finally get it flushed from your tank. I could see sediment in the primary fuel filter for several changes.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #14

Fuel Treatment

Adding fuel cleaner/lube is a very good idea. Fuel is supposed to get additive added by supplier but you never know if they did or how much. Also adding anything with zinc to the oil in a vehicle with a DPF will kill your DPF[that is why it has been taken out] Mike
BIGBADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, service