Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve on 5.9 Cummins. Any Thoughts on using one ??

I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2000 Discovery with a 5.9 ISB engine. I thought about ordering a Fumoto Drain Valve for the oil pan. Has anyone ever installed one and how do you like it ??
Thanks,
Steve
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

my engine is different than yours, isc 350, but i am using one and have been so happy ever since installed it. happiness is worth more than $20
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

I am leaning toward getting one.. I have read some reviews good and bad and it would be a lot easier when changing the oil. I always get all all over me and the floor when I change oil.. Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Different engine, but ordered one. At oil change was going to add. The drain plug was the lowest portion of engine (naturally) but was the lowest portion of unit. Was afraid that it could be hit by ?? and torn off. Sold it here.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Different engine, but ordered one. At oil change was going to add. The drain plug was the lowest portion of engine (naturally) but was the lowest portion of unit. Was afraid that it could be hit by ?? and torn off. Sold it here.
my oil drain plug is not the lowest point in that area, the rear wheel cross bar is. if something protruding up, it will hit the cross bar, not the oil drain plug. recommend the one with nipple.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

I have had them on every vehicle I owned for the past 10 or so years with no problems.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Especially useful in a DP with larger volumes of oil that can't typically be held in a standard drain pan. I keep a spare set of empty 1 gallon jugs that the oil comes in on hand. Using the Fumoto valve with spigot you can drain oil one gallon at a time by turning the valve on and off. Makes oil changes exceptionally clean, fast and easy.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

I would get one that you could plug when done, just for safety.

Running over some branchs or debris in the road or c/g could hit the lever and open it.

Found a nice short one, themotoroilevaluator.com

Just my thought
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Thought about a Fumoto, but just have two 20qt drain pans from AutoZone that work for coolant, transmission and engine oil changes.

I use a large cardboard box flattened with the two pans sitting on the card board. It is easy to smoothly slide the cardboard to position the second pan into the stream when needed. The cardboard acts as an mat so no oil on the concrete.

But, I then transfer the oil in the pans to the bottles for disposal. That is a step that the Fumoto avoids for the engine oil.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Have used one for years and the only negative I have found is the oil drains much slower. It sure is nice to be able to start and stop when filling gallon jugs. I could never pour the oil out of a drain pan without spillage!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

Thanks everyone !! I just ordered two.. One for myself and one for my Uncle.. He has changed his oil twice in his Newmar with a Cat and has made a mess twice ..
Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

I have been going to order one for my Discovery, with the ISB, but just haven't gotten around to it. I must tell you we did have problem on a 9170 Case tractor, with a Fumoto valve on it. Seems a corn stalk ran up under the tractor and opened the valve. It drained the crankcase, but a warning light came on and saved the engine from any damage. I would not worry about to many cornstalks on I-40! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
Community Moderator

to prevent the lever opened unintended, i use a zip tie in the space. it's a cheap shot but should be good. if you are concerned too much, you can buy a spring stopper, for a few bux.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #14

Yes I bought the clips that secure the little handle or valve in place to prevent it from opening..

Tags
cummins