Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2023, 06:17 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, the number of replies and all over the place. I'm not an expert by any means, but I know it is VERY expensive to get work done on these engines. I personally would not risk it even after reading all of the comments above. Here is a good read. Others may have already posted this, but I didn't read the 1,001 replies (now 1,002).

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...tial%20problem.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2023, 07:01 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Diesel fuel is heavier than gasoline. The fuel pickup is near the bottom of the tank. So, you will be drawing diesel fuel until the overall level drops and start pulling gasoline. You will do great damage to your engine if this happens. The correct thing to do is to stop running your engine until you get your tank drained. Gas and diesel don't mix. You're certainly not the first to have done this.
Don't know where you get your incorrect information but gas and diesel absolutely do mix. Mixing was common practice when I was driving an 18 wheeler. Gas was added to the fuel in your tanks when it got extremely cold to help flow and to make it a little easier to start. Think before electronic injection, mechanical injection. This minute percentage will not hurt a thing. When it gets to 1/2 tank, fill it. Do it 3-4 times and you'll never know it was there.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #59

Savage 1

Curious, how much gasoline do you add to your diesel tank in your coach in the winter?

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:23 AM   #60

Last time I had to do that was when I topped off my tank with summerdiesel, put it in storage and then Xmas wanted to go skiing. After about 10 miles al power was lost, just white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The diesel had clogged in the filter/water separator. Ofc the tank was still full, only got in about 6 quarts of gas, kept the engine running, took about half an hour, but with the gas and the engine slowly heating up i could move on. At the resort i could buy diesel winter additive to solve the problem, but the next two times i had to start the engine with brake cleaner in the airfilter.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Gas versus diesel engines

Just putting out a little FYI, please don’t beat me up.
Any amount of gasoline, say over a gallon or 2, deposited in a modern diesel fuel tank, think : 2004-current year, will definitely have an adverse effect on the diesel engine, and its emissions components. Freightliner engines have aprox- 450-500 psi compression pressures , compared to 100-120 psi, in a gasoline engine. Modern diesel’s don’t have spark plugs, to get the engine/ cylinders to fire, they rely on high combustion temperatures , (1000* or more), to get the engine running. In colder weather, they do use glow plugs and or intake heaters, to get that temperature high enough to start. Because diesel fuel has a much higher flash point than gasoline think -49* for gasoline versus 125-180* for diesel fuel, by introducing gasoline into the diesel mix, you are raising the engines intended flash point. As having worked on, and serviced Freightliner, Cummins, IHC, Cat’s, for many years, I would not recommend driving a truck with gasoline in the diesel tank. I have seen this done many times, by unbeknownst driver’s/ fuel attendants. I cant tell you the amount of money it takes to repair this misadventure. You’re talking emissions components, upper/lower engine repairs, fuel sensors, exhaust sensors, diesel particulate filters, injectors and so on. Older diesel engines used ‘nozzles’ to deliver the right amount of fuel to each cylinder, modern diesel’s use very high pressure ‘injectors’ , all ECM, computer controlled, to deliver that precise amount of fuel. You need to get the fuel system flushed out. best of luck
Beerepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:35 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerepair View Post
Just putting out a little FYI, please don’t beat me up.
Any amount of gasoline, say over a gallon or 2, deposited in a modern diesel fuel tank, think : 2004-current year, will definitely have an adverse effect on the diesel engine, and its emissions components. Freightliner engines have aprox- 450-500 psi compression pressures , compared to 100-120 psi, in a gasoline engine. Modern diesel’s don’t have spark plugs, to get the engine/ cylinders to fire, they rely on high combustion temperatures , (1000* or more), to get the engine running. In colder weather, they do use glow plugs and or intake heaters, to get that temperature high enough to start. Because diesel fuel has a much higher flash point than gasoline think -49* for gasoline versus 125-180* for diesel fuel, by introducing gasoline into the diesel mix, you are raising the engines intended flash point. As having worked on, and serviced Freightliner, Cummins, IHC, Cat’s, for many years, I would not recommend driving a truck with gasoline in the diesel tank. I have seen this done many times, by unbeknownst driver’s/ fuel attendants. I cant tell you the amount of money it takes to repair this misadventure. You’re talking emissions components, upper/lower engine repairs, fuel sensors, exhaust sensors, diesel particulate filters, injectors and so on. Older diesel engines used ‘nozzles’ to deliver the right amount of fuel to each cylinder, modern diesel’s use very high pressure ‘injectors’ , all ECM, computer controlled, to deliver that precise amount of fuel. You need to get the fuel system flushed out. best of luck
"by introducing gasoline into the diesel mix you are raising the engine's intended flash point".
Aren't you actually lowering the flash point by adding gasoline to diesel fuel?
Old 06-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #63

Many years ago General Motors put Diesel engines in some cars and pickup trucks. I worked at a garage/gas station at the time in Pennsylvania. I can remember their recommendation was to add up to 5 gallons unleaded gas into a 25 gallon tank. All diesels past and present uses high pressure fuel systems using close tolerance pumps and injectors. The sulfur in the old fuels acted as the lubricant.
just a little history.
Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:56 PM   #64

GPM, any update to share?
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #65

Bensin (gas) additive to Diesel

While stationed in the Army in Germany, we had just purchased a new Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel and on the first really cold winter night it would not start the next morning. I had it towed to the Dealer, and they said that it was normal procedure to add 10 percent Gas to Diesel tank during winter months. They recommended adding the gas first so the heavier Diesel would mix with it.

I hesitated to accept his recommendation saying that it would damage my new car, and the Dealer went on to say that it worked better than the more expensive anti-gel additives. I did it for years without any damage.
Ory-gunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:00 AM   #66

GPM,

Has their been any progress with your coach?
Old 06-24-2023, 04:06 AM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
that's pretty diluted gas. it'll burn off. i'd run that tank down about 1/3 rd of the way then fill it back up and keep doing it until there's no more gasoline smell in the exhaust. you will smell it distinctly
perryg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:11 AM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
question sir. it was recommended to strain my old oil then pour it into my diesel tank because they stopped putting some additive in the fuel that was used to lubricate the cylinders or top end. forgive my diesel ignorance but have you heard this? it's a 2000 holiday rambler ambassador with the 5.9 isb 260 hp
perryg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:29 AM   #69

Does your Cummins engine manual recommended this procedure of mixing used oil with your diesel fuel?

If not, my suggestion would be to refrain from doing so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-25-2023, 05:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg362 View Post
question sir. it was recommended to strain my old oil then pour it into my diesel tank because they stopped putting some additive in the fuel that was used to lubricate the cylinders or top end. forgive my diesel ignorance but have you heard this? it's a 2000 holiday rambler ambassador with the 5.9 isb 260 hp
Here is what they have taken out of fuel and oil: https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...-what-why-how/
I wouldn't be pouring used engine oil into my fuel tank. Chances are what you are looking for in the oil isn't there anyway.
There are millions of diesel powered vehicles on the roads today running fine without pouring used oil into the fuel tank. If I was you your coach would be one of them.

Tags
diesel, gas, tank