Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gee Whiz Info Oil Leak

A little disappointing. Only 2100 miles on ly new 2018 MH and already have an oil leak. Troubleshot by a Freightliner service center just so they could send me away due to their lack of ability to pull the transmission????
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Sounds like a Main Oil Seal already leaking??? Thats what they are saying??

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Sounds like a Main Oil Seal already leaking??? Thats what they are saying??
That’s what they said. I don’t have much confidence that they actually looked at it. The rig never left its spot from when I took it in.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Before you make too much of this, check the oil level.
It is VERY common for these engines to be overfilled resulting in a leaking rear main seal. My neighbor had his main seal replaced because it developed a leak shortly after he bought it. The previous owner had Cummins do an oil/filter change prior to purchase.

The seal was replaced by the same Cummins shop and it leaked just as bad after the new seal.
I had a look and determined it was just overfilled. Cummins authorized another local shop to pull the oil filter and lower the oil level. Leak fixed. Check the oil level before you get real serious..
Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Cummins leak too

Hi Gee Wiz, my 2016 Holiday Rambler is at the Cummins dealer in Mobile Alabama getting a seal replaced due to a oil leak. I was wondering what engine do you have? I have the ISL9 380. There is also a Phaeton in the same shop with what looks like a real problem, I see pistons sitting on the floor next to the coach. It looks to be a fairly new one too. I also had my Cummins Quiet Diesel Generator fail and they are repairing that as well. The controller failed, a little costly part if not under warranty, around $1800 if I had to pay for it. I know that their a ton of these Cummins engines out their in all types of coaches .
Chet
carman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
A little disappointing. Only 2100 miles on ly new 2018 MH and already have an oil leak. Troubleshot by a Freightliner service center just so they could send me away due to their lack of ability to pull the transmission????
For sure get it to another shop, is there a Cummins engine dealer in your area?
I would have to be 100% positive the rear main is leaking before I I did the job.

Incorrect over full oil level can cause this as well.....had you added any in he 2100 miles?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Before you make too much of this, check the oil level.
It is VERY common for these engines to be overfilled resulting in a leaking rear main seal.

I had a look and determined it was just overfilled. Cummins authorized another local shop to pull the oil filter and lower the oil level. Leak fixed. Check the oil level before you get real serious..
Mine will do exactly the same thing. Fill to the full mark on the dipstick, it will leak. Get it down half way and no leaks. Personally I let it leak and stabilize as that just adds rustproofing underneath! (OK, I do fill it to the half-point on the dipstick now.)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I checked the oil level and it is close to 1/2 inch over the fill mark. I guess that may be my issue as well. The drip is small when parked and it doesn’t appear to be blowing back under the motor so I guess I will leave it and monitor for a while to see what happens.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

A 1/2" could be as much as a gallon! Gonna take a while to spit all that out, plus what the rear of coach, or trailer/car you may tow.

Warranty probably won't pay for it, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't have oil drained and refilled with correct specified amount.

Then dipstick could be "remarked" with the correct level and your now "full mark"

Also this engine uses a closed crankcase ventilation system and possibly if way over full could saturate crankcase ventilation filter.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Okay...MH in the shop with a rear main seal replacement. Draining the oil and refilling oil system with the correct quantity of oil per the manufacture. Then they will doublecheck the dipstick and remark it if need be.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well, it's back. 1800 miles since I got it back from the Cummins service center and my oil leak is back. Appears to be leaking the same place as before; between the engine and the tranny. There is a hole in the bottom of the bell housing where the oil is coming from. The last time they replaced the rear main seal and I think they called it the bearing hanger gasket. I am taking it back in next week to have it worked on again.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
well, it's back. 1800 miles since I got it back from the Cummins service center and my oil leak is back. Appears to be leaking the same place as before; between the engine and the tranny. There is a hole in the bottom of the bell housing where the oil is coming from. The last time they replaced the rear main seal and I think they called it the bearing hanger gasket. I am taking it back in next week to have it worked on again.
Go back to square one. You have an over fill problem an NOT a seal problem.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

I also suspect oil overfull. It doesn't take but a quart or so to cause a mess.

You an look the oil capicity up on Cummins quickserve by using you engine S/N.

You teir4 emissions engine has a closed crankcase system. It will have a crankcase pressure sensor and a crankcase filter.

Hopefully Cummins checked the filter for oil....if the filter gets saturated with oil, it'll cause high crankcase pressure and start a leak....but i would think it would have a diagnostic code on....

Has the oil level dropped on the stick? You added any?

Good luck, and post up what they say!
Peace
Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the LF3000 engine. The last time it was in the shop, they assured me they measured the exact quantity and they were going to remark the dipstick to align with the exact quantity. It is possible they filled the engine to the exact full level on the dipstick and not necessarily the true full level.

I will reiterate this to them and maybe I will stay there while they fill to make sure.

Tags
leak