Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #1

Generator was running, stopped, won't start

We have a 10,000 watt Onan generator with a Cummins engine. We were traveling in very warm weather so was running it with the AC running and it shut down and have not been able to get it started since. Replaced the fuel filter, but didn't help. Oil and coolant levels are normal.
No codes have come up, it just won't start!
Any thoughts?
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #2

You don't state the Make, Model, Year of your rig, which are critical for this type question.

Are you sure it's an Onan driven by a Cummins motor? My 10K Onan is driven by a Kobota Diesel. Onan is owned by Cummins, however.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much fuel do you have in your fuel tank?

Most generators will shut off when the fuel gets down to a quarter tank.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #4

It's a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton, the generator is a Onan 10000 watt with a Cummins diesel engine with a 1/2+ fuel tank. We purchased the MH this past winter so have only run the generator several times but it seemed to work fine.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have generator engine rotation when trying to start generator?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #6

First take off the 12 v battery cables to the back of the gen. Be careful with the hot lead. Wait ten minutes and reinstall them. That resets the board. If you shut it off under load it will cause your problem.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #7

Yes, engine turns over very well, plenty fast to start.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #8

I will give that a try, thanks!
Old 06-21-2021, 06:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
With engine rotation the next thing to troubleshoot is the fuel, try to figure out how it is introduced in to the engine.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #10

I have a buddy with a '10 Sportscoach with a similar problem. As it turns out the dipstick on the generator isn't correct and if the oil level is around the full mark or just below the generator will not run. It has shut off on him a few times and adding 1/2 quart of oil always seems to fix the problem. What codes are your generator flashing?
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:55 AM   #11

The generator is only flashing "service engine". I hope to have time to try a few things, ( I'm still working!) one is disconnecting the power source, checking if it's getting fuel, and now I will try adding some extra oil. Another puzzling thing is the front AC had kicked the breaker out when the generator stopped, but runs fine on shore power. We are heading to Rocky Mountain National Park later in July so have to have it running by then! Thanks for all the replies
Old 06-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baer View Post
The generator is only flashing "service engine".
Usually when it's flashing 3 times 'service engine', you press the stop / prime side of the button again, to get the fault code.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:28 AM   #13

Did you ever find out what the problem was for why it wasn't starting? I've got an Onan 4000 that had been working fine until recently. Now it cranks over perfectly fine (very strong) but won't start. I've got a full tank of gas. I'll have to start trying things (ie. disconnect battery then reconnect, change spark plug, etc). I changed the basics (oil, plug, air filter) last year. One thing I didn't change (but I have the part) is the fuel filter. Could that be an issue? I guess there is no harm in changing it to see if it helps.

-Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:14 AM   #14

I finally got a chance to try to figure out what was wrong, the service code come up showing "failure of the actuator to the governor". I had to remove the side cover of the generator to gain access and after doing so found a wire disconnected. I plugged it in and it started immediately. I couldn't figure out how the wire come off but was relieved it was such a simple fix!
I think a fuel filter is a good place to start which is the first thing I did, you should also be able to bring up the service code which really narrowed the problem down for me.
Good luck Chris, and thanks to everyone once again for your ideas!

Tags
generator