Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Hard starting

My coach (HR vacationer xl - 325 ISB) used to start immediately after about 3-4 revs. I took it to Camping World for an oil change, advertised at $165.00. I figured, what the heck, I'll get the Generator oil changed as well. I asked that the oil filters be changed and that they check the undercarriage - they did, found nothing. They did change the wiper blades, stating that they appeared to need changing. The bill for what started as a $165.00 oil change came to just over $1000.00 (I was expecting a bill of @ $3-400 max). Won't be going back to CW for anything other than an absolute emergency. BTW, this was supposed to be a "while you wait". The "wait" turned out to be 3 days (I live only ten miles away) and when I did go to pick it up, I had to wait nearly three hours before they would bring it around (they claimed they were short a driver but in truth, I don't think they had actually finished it). But here is the REAL problem.

From that day 'till now, in hot weather or cold, it takes about 2 to 3 rounds of 30 revs before it will start. After it starts, it seems to run fine, but the long nerve-wracking starts really have me upset. I didn't drive it for several weeks after I brought it back from CW, so I didn't immediately notice it. Any idea what they may have done to cause this starting problem? Any thoughts at all?

Thanks,

Chas (not a fan of Camping World - at least not the one in Woodstock, GA)
charlesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

They could have screwed up a simple fuel filter change. Check to see if they changed them.

I'll bet the 3 hour delay was THEM trying to get it started.

Start by looking over where they worked , maybe something will look different.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They could have screwed up a simple fuel filter change. Check to see if they changed them.

I'll bet the 3 hour delay was THEM trying to get it started.

Start by looking over where they worked , maybe something will look different.
Possibly using the wrong replacement fuel filter came to mind for me as well.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

It does sound like a fuel related problem but they only know what was done. I think I would search out a good Cummins or truck shop, explain the problem and see if they can help. Quotes for repairs are a given.
As fas as CW, I don't suppose they are all like this one but I would certainly stay as far away from them as possible for repairs.
3 days for an oil change is a little far out.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It certainly sounds as if one of the fuel filter O rings is not sealing properly, allowing the fuel to bleed back to the tank. It will then take a few minutes of cranking the engine over to get the fuel pumped back up to the engine so that it can start.

I would take it somewhere else and have the fuel filter job done again. See if that helps.

What was the $1000.00 for?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
It certainly sounds as if one of the fuel filter O rings is not sealing properly, allowing the fuel to bleed back to the tank. It will then take a few minutes of cranking the engine over to get the fuel pumped back up to the engine so that it can start.

I would take it somewhere else and have the fuel filter job done again. See if that helps.

What was the $1000.00 for?

Jim
Next time when you go to crank it, turn the key on but do not try to start. Leave it on about 30 seconds. Then turn it off and back on another 30 seconds. Then turn off and then try to crank. If it fires right up then your fuel is bleeding back into the tank or otherwise losing its prime.

It sure sounds like a fuel problem to me. I would try this then head back to CW for a very serious talk.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I tried the 'test' suggested by ONECHADDUDE and it does seem to confirm that the fuel filter might indeed be the problem. I'm debating whether to even bother going back to CW or just bite the bullet and go to a good truck (cummins) shop and get it taken care of. Thanks again for the good advice and also to the other gentleman in the other thread that I inadvertently started (with the misspelling in the title) who suggested that it might also be a loose or disconnected preheat wire.

Chas
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

Do it yourself. It'll get done right and you'll smell like eau de diesel perfume.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Follow-up. Okay, followed onechaddude's advice and took my rig back to CW. They agreed to look at it (no charge) after I told them about the replies I got here. Papa Jim hit the nail on the head with his 0-ring diagnosis. They 'fessed up, fixed it (no charge) and even apologized for screwing up in the first place. This forum certainly helped this process along so again my thanks. We (me and CW) are back on good terms again although I may search out another shop for any other major maintenance items that may occur.

Chas
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
This has been another interesting read. It's amazing the amount of talent available on the forum. Most every response was related to the fuel delivery.

To put it in diagnostic terms if a new problem/issue is discovered what was the last thing that was worked on??? It ran well before taking it to CW and the only item changed that could have effected the starting was the fuel filter. I think that's called, "Deductive reasoning." You'd be amazed how few individuals can come up with these type of conclusions based on common sense and doing a little thinking.

Great work!!!!

TeJay
Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
CW may not be the best Diesel service shop although a diesel oil and filter change is not rocket science.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
although a diesel oil and filter change is not rocket science.
Yea, but I know of a few so called self proclaimed mechanics that can screw up a wet dream......