Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help - engine in derate

New to me 2011 Ellipse 42QD. Check engine light with msg: Low DEF Quality came on. Dealer said it was intermittent and no problem however running engine to extend slides stop engine light came on with msg: de-rate. Cannot get RPMs above 10.
Dealer said they had replaced DEF, replaced sensor and filter, cleaned nozzle.

Was told to shut off all power - DC and AC then restart. Msg still there.
Then told to disconnect power, disconnect chassis batteries and touch end of negative cable to positive cable to erase ECM. Did that - msg still there.

How can I get the derate cancelled so I can take it to Freightliner to get checked out?

Engine is 450 hp.

Ya'll have saved me many times so thanks in advance - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

As far as I know, sombody needs to call a tow truck. Once the unit derates it takes a repair and then the Cummins software and a laptop to clear your derate. I had a coach derate on the way down from Alaska, but it only went to 90%. Limped it into Edmonton and they worked 2 full days trying to diagnose, repair and clear it. As it happens, I had mud and water in a 96 pin canon plug that then trashed a computer in the system. My repair shop tried a number of work arounds, and couldn't get the derate to reset until they actually got the ENTIRE SYSTEM repaired and working. BTW, the codes the system threw bore little relationship to what actually was repaired. The guys I had doing the repairs was First Truck Center, a 24/7/365 facility with about 30 bays. These guys were the ones that Cummins sent us to.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

My only experience was with a semi, crack in the exhaust before the def chamber caused it to not stay hot enough to allow it to run. The trucker was in tears when it was fixed, he had spent thousands and thousands with no one fixing it. I just saw the crack and said, let's weld that up first. 10 minutes with the mig and the mechanic could clear the codes.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
shootist - thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow while I'm waiting for the crew to come by. I wish there was a way bypass DEF on this DP. This was the first year they installed it but as I understand DEF was required by fed until 2012.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
shootist - thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow while I'm waiting for the crew to come by. I wish there was a way bypass DEF on this DP. This was the first year they installed it but as I understand DEF was required by fed until 2012.

Actually was 2010 in the big truck engines like in your motorhome.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shucks - I was hoping. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Actually, if you want to read a thread about deactivating the DEF system on diesels, especially heavy trucks and RV's go to https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/def...ay-441800.html
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update

Dealer is coming to pick up and take it back for full repair. They'll use the Cummins Insite program to clear derate code. Will be replacing filter, screen, Doser nozzle, checking pump for correct operation and checking to insure sufficient voltage is coming to unit. Somewhere in there has to be the problem, however, I did read a site post that reported individual had a cracked exhaust pipe right where the DEF connected. He had it welded and no more problems. Glad for him.

Just thanking all of you for your input as I'm learning this new to me DP. A little different from my previous one but looking forward to hitting the road.

Really glad I took early delivery and have been able to run it as if I was living in it in freezing weather to discover these problems at home rather than on the road. God IS always good.

Drive safe and Enjoy - Richard
Old 03-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #9

Just a thought, but when you get it back after repair I'd take it out for 2 or 3 one-day trips before I started on a major journey. Phantom problems have a nasty habit of returning. Good luck with it.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #10

It has been my experience that some of the DEF systems (which can cross over to various manufacturers) have problems with signal wires, not actually with hard parts. I am struggling with a similar problem with a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia and have been through the wiring twice already and now the dreaded CEL are both on again.

The way the system is supposed to work is on the third fresh start after CEL is on for DEF level (anything less than half a tank -- but DO NOT fill to full, because DEF expands when warmed and there is no way for it to expand in a full tank, i.e., no overflow) and when the DEF is filled above half tank.

Problem is, that doesn't always work and it takes dealer-level scanning tools to work with the big-rig computer ports.
Pastornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE - It's working great now

Dealer took tank out and it had a lot of sludge in the bottom that was blocking the filters as fast as they cleaned or replaced. Tank scrubbed out, filters replaced, Dozer screen cleaned, nozzle replaced and pump and line flushed.
No more Low Quality DEF light and derate is gone. Took it our today for about 100 miles and runs great.

Thanks everyone for your input

See ya on the road - Richard
Old 03-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Dealer took tank out and it had a lot of sludge in the bottom that was blocking the filters as fast as they cleaned or replaced. Tank scrubbed out, filters replaced, Dozer screen cleaned, nozzle replaced and pump and line flushed.
No more Low Quality DEF light and derate is gone. Took it our today for about 100 miles and runs great.

Thanks everyone for your input

See ya on the road - Richard
Curious as to what the sludge looked like and if they had an opinion? Sure shouldn't have been there so something apparently happened that caused you a lot of grief
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't ask abut the sludge but from reading up on this it could very well be the scaling that results when the tank is allowed to remain less than full for extended periods of time.

I'm just glad it is fixed.

Took DP out for 100 mile run and working great now but will be staying home right now with the Norovirus closures.

Will use this time to get to know my rig better and set up dash screen and infotainment. Just corrected the rear camera due to connection under dash - pretty simple after reading all that has been posted on forum.

Drive safe and Enjoy - Richard
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #14

Glad you got it running well. Enjoy!!

Tags
engine