Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

Help!! No start 1995 5.9 safety feature ??

My wife was coming back from a weekend trip in our 95 safari which has a 5.9 cummins. While i was one the phone with her she observed black smoke. Temp gauge hit 220. Long story short the water pump went out. The second it happened she pulled it over and shut it down(was running fine). Had it towed home but it will not start back up. Engine turns faster like there is no compression. I have been told that even the older cummins have a safety feature that prevents them from cranking/ running when it overheats or looses coolant or oil pressure. Ideas please!!!!! Ive noticed when we try and crank it diesel drips near the fuel pump area. Im thinking (praying) that there is a fuel pump cutoff that was triggered with low coolant and that with no high pressure fuel maybe the compression from engine is just going back through the pump. But again this happened the sound of the starter has changed as if it not under much load.. please help
mbtrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #2

I have not heard of a safety feature like that. On the side of the injection pump there is a shut down solenoid. Try to start the engine and leave the key in the on position. Check the solenoid to see if it is in the up position by lifting on the linkage. If it is not up you would be able to lift it and it should snap and hold in the run position. Turn the key to start (don't shut the key off) and see if it will start. The black smoke is strange. That is an indication of either the air filter is plugged or the turbo failed (neither one seems likely).
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have had a coolant loss shut down my Cummins mechanical 8.3L while driving.

There was no hesitation in restarting the engine immediately after the shutdown.

The shutdown was probably triggered by temperature sensors tied into the ignition process. (My wife was driving when it occurred and did not observe the gauge.)

The advice above on the shutdown solenoid is very worth checking since its failure would create your situation. But its failure would not likely be caused by your shutdown event. (I just replaced my solenoid this past weekend.)

Fuel leaking could indicate you have air in the fuel system. My engine has a priming pump mounted on the passenger side of the engine to use to eliminate air. Or you could loosen an injector and crank until fuel came out to remove any air. It would be good to trace and correct the fuel leak.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I also have not heard of such a feature. Make sure transmission is in neutral. Since you had a new water pump put on, are you sure a wire didn't get disconnected during the work? A mechanical 5.9 only needs air and fuel to run, definitely check for fuel shut off since air is never shut down or controlled.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Dodge/ Cummins 5.9l, of that era didn't have a shut down feature for overheating. I'd focus on the fuel leak, finding and fixing, if the injector pump is getting air, you're not going to get it started.
But the faster spin when cranking is scary .
Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #6

Yea im scared to death.. General translation no compression-faster starter
mbtrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #7

But; no fuel in each cylinder = less to compress = faster spin.
I'm hopeful that that's the case here.
In 14 years of Dodge / Cummins repair , I can't recall any engine being damaged by a quick overheat cycle, so I've got my fingers crossed for you.
And lots of members report these engines running way hotter than 220 on a regular basis, due to cooling fan malfunctions and plugged rads.

Tags
safety