Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

High idle...how high?

I have read several times that a prolonged idle on most diesel engines creates low egt' resulting in raw fuel washing down the cylinder walls and causing excessive wear. If I need to idle for a prolonged time, what rpm should I set the high idle? I do not have a egt gauge yet but when I do, do you set idle for a particular temp? I have the 12 valve, mechanical 5.9 (6bt).
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

When you activate 'high idle' feature it should increase to 1100 rpms

You can increase up to 1500 rpm

But 1100 is good for most situations
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
When you activate 'high idle' feature it should increase to 1100 rpms

You can increase up to 1500 rpm

But 1100 is good for most situations

X2 on the 1100 rpm. That's about where i run it. Ours doesn't jump up there automatically though... it has to be set manually with the cruise. Ours will run up over 2000 rpms with the cruise control, but I don't really know why you'd ever want to run it that fast...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When I hit my cruise button for high idle, it moves up to 1000 rpm (as reported by my SilverLeaf).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins techs suggest that if you need to idle an engine it should be no lower than 1000 rpm's.

My Smart Wheel uses the CC to activate either a High Idle at 1400 rpm with the SET button or a Low Idle at 1200 rpm with the RES button.

I have another Carlings Switch on the dash which can increase or decrease the Normal idle by increments of 25 rpm's. That should be set to someplace between 675-875 rpm's or just enough to hold the coach still on a very slight incline without the need for any braking.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
X2 on the 1100 rpm. That's about where i run it. Ours doesn't jump up there automatically though... it has to be set manually with the cruise. Ours will run up over 2000 rpms with the cruise control, but I don't really know why you'd ever want to run it that fast...

-cheers

My 1992 L-10 is in a 92 Monaco and only has one little high/low idle switch. It goes up or down in around 25 RPM increments to a maximum of 850 RPM's and a low of 650. The cruse switch has no effect. I wish I knew how to idle it up more.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Cummins techs suggest that if you need to idle an engine it should be no lower than 1000 rpm's.

My Smart Wheel uses the CC to activate either a High Idle at 1400 rpm with the SET button or a Low Idle at 1200 rpm with the RES button.

I have another Carlings Switch on the dash which can increase or decrease the Normal idle by increments of 25 rpm's. That should be set to someplace between 675-875 rpm's or just enough to hold the coach still on a very slight incline without the need for any braking.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Yep, what the doc said. I just read the 1000rpm min recommendation in the manual.

Also use the 25+- option myself to navigate the storage area without touching throttle. Light pressure on the brake keeps speed in check perfectly