RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Angry How to prime fuel pump 2003 Winnebago Itaska 5.9 Cummins

lost fuel prime

Retfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Hi Retfire; Some have had success by putting a small amount of air pressure in the fuel tank. You would have to plug the big vent tube to the tank. Only a small amount of pressure might be needed. I would be very carefully on how much you pressurize the tank as you only need enough pressure to push the fuel from the tank through the lift pump and filters to the injection pump on the engine. Try using the search box at the top right of this page to see if others have more info on the problem you are having. Good luck and let us know how things pan out as inquiring minds would love to know how you solved this problem. Good luck!

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

2003 was a change over year for fuel systems on the 5.9 Cummins , but both systems; ( VP-44 and HPCR ) use a 12 volt lift pump to supply fuel to the main injector pump .

The lift pump runs continually when the engine runs , but starting they sometimes require bumping the starter , to start a"key on only" 20/30 second run timer.

Where are you checking for fuel ?
Filter drain ?
The lift pump is controlled by the Cummins ECM and has a fused input to the ECM. So if you think the lift pump isn't operating then checking all the ECM power supply fuses is in order.

Can you look at your main injector pump and identify your system .
#1, is the VP-44
#2 the HPCR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vp44-injection-pump.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	288469   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPCR ISC injection pump.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	288470  

Old 06-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

If you have a 12v electric fuel pump that runs for only 30 seconds, you are supposed to turn the key on and off 3x... and wait 30 seconds in-between.

They also say you should change one filter at a time. I.e., start your engine after the first filter change.

If you don't have an electric pump (and I think you do) then you can prime the filters with clean diesel. Although most people will say not to do this because you will be sending unfiltered fuel to the injection pump, but many have been doing it this way for decades!

Some like to poor Seafoam in the #2 filter to clean their injection system. However, I have never done this myself. But maybe it's time I did?

If you have ever used Seafoam in your diesel engine, as a prime when changing filters, please let us know why you did it and if you got favorable results?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I once lost prime by changing both fuel filters at the same time on a 6.7. Spent the better part of a day trying to get a prime. The only thing that worked for me was loosing the fuel line where it leaves the pump and cycling the ignition switch. I will never change both fuel filters at the same time again!
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #6

FASS-TS or AirDog-4G Filter Priming

I forgot to mention another technique to purge air up to your last filter:

OPTION-A: I have a FASS-TS electric fuel pump, with a removable fuse next to my filters, what I do is this to prime my fuel lines:

* Replace all 3 filters, but leave the last filter lose. (Don't forget to put oil on the filter seal.)

* Pull the FASS fuse.

* Turn the Ignition Key On to power the FASS pump.

* Touch the fuse to its contacts... until fuel starts to leak from the #3 filter... and then I remove the fuse to power off the FASS pump.

* Then I just tighten the #3 filter, and you are almost done...

* Turn the ignition key "off" and then proceed to start the engine normally, with a 10 second delay to finish the prime to the injection pump.

OPTION-B: The same process, where you replace all 3 filters at once, can be accomplished with a stock lift pump, if you have someone turn the key "on"... and then the other person, by the fuel filters, signals to turn the key "off". (Use cell phones to make sure you hear each other.)

* Tighten your last filter.

* Then proceed to start the engine normally, with a 30 second delay to finish the prime to the injection pump.

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, fuel, fuel pump, winnebago