Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I need to clear ECM trouble codes

Hi all,
I have a 2008 Monaco with a 600hp ISX. I just deleted the EGR, EGR Cooler, and DPF systems. I guess you could say I "opted out" of those coolant leaking, power and MPG robbing items

I had a very knowledgeable, Cummins certified technician update my ECM and program the EGR and DPF systems out. He told me that I would need to clear all trouble codes to turn off my check engine light and afterwards everything would work normally. He thought I should be able to clear the trouble codes by some combination of buttons and key cycles.

Does anyone have any advice? I do have the display on my dash to show trouble codes but pressing the reset button doesn't do the trick...it is never easy!
bsadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

You will need to either have a certified code reader or take the unit to a shop so they can hook up the code reader and clear all codes
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

[QUOTE=bsadventures;2063014]
I had a very knowledgeable, Cummins certified technician update my ECM and program the EGR and DPF systems out. He told me that I would need to clear all trouble codes to turn off my check engine light and afterwards everything would work normally. He thought I should be able to clear the trouble codes by some combination of buttons and key cycles.
QUOTE]

OK, run this by me again , slowly.
You say he updated the ECM somehow and didn't clear the codes for you , or clear them before he did the up-date ?
Or was the check engine light out when you picked the coach up and then came on, and your trying to reset the light without going back to him?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I did all the deletes from the engine myself and removed the engine ECM and took it to him in Joliet, Il. He downloaded the latest program from Cummins and then when in and modified the program so that it would not look for or require the EGR/DPF components. He told me that after I re-install the ECM and power it up, there would be trouble codes present and that I would need to clear all codes. I did look at the codes briefly and there is only one... spn 411 fmi4.

I have driven several hundred miles and it runs better than ever with no issues other than the check engine light so I was hoping to clear codes without a scan tool. In my research yesterday I got the impression that a tool is required. Any advice on the best scan tool for the least money?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have zero, zero knowledge about your Diesel engine. However, on two gas vehicles I have been told to get ECM and all the Chips to " null" . You need to disconnect the battery negative cable, turn on the head lights for 30 seconds, and let set with negative cable disconnected for 30 minutes.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

I wonder how many federal laws you violated...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Yes, with only 600 HP you need to do everything you can to squeeze more out of that puny engine.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wouldn't worry too much about violating Federal Laws. We have people doing that all the time.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I wonder how many federal laws you violated...
And I hope he kept all the removed parts, If someone else has them( had them ) I'll bet they went on e bay within the hour.
A quick story about ECM flash up dates from Cummins as they occurred during 04>07 the last years I worked.
In order to up date the ECM, we had to log in and hook up the vehicle directly to Cummins, via the internet , the flash was never stored in any shop computer, as it had been prior to 04. Cummins is very protective of it's data and if anything ,the program installed or attempted to been modified is corrupted, hence the current code and light. The last place the owner wants to take this vehicle is to a Cummins shop to have the code scanned . The mods ; if any ; would be detected and then the fight starts.
JMHO: Given a choice between the Feds , and Cummins after my bu..., I'd choose the Feds.
bsadventures, you've created a monster and your stuck with it, pick up a Scangauge d or Silverleaf to clear your codes; you'll probably have to do it twice a day while traveling. Your modified coach , should you ever sell it will come back to haunt you, if it goes anywhere that inspections are required.
The mechanic you dealt with has probably vanished, the reason the told you to expect codes was to give himself time to do so.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #10

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Delta Pressure Sensor Circuit - Voltage Below Normal, or Shorted to Low Source.

This sensor was probably removed, but the ECM is still looking for it. Contact the technician that reprogrammed your ECM. He may have missed that parameter. If you are lucky he may be able to turn it off. If not, you may have to trick the ECM by using a couple of resistors to simulate the sensor. Try plugging the sensor back into the wiring plug and see if that puts the amber check light out.

You will need a scanner or similar to clear the code once you have managed to get the light to stay off.

Don't blame the engine manufacturers for fitting the emission controls to their engines. The Feds make the rules and the engine manufacturers have to make their engines comply. They would love to remove all the crap they have to fit to meet the emission levels. If Mr Cummins had his way, your engine would have a nice clean air inlet system and a simple exhaust system, with no mixing of the two. After all, nothing likes eating its own s##t!
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
A Sincere thanks to all who have replied, including those with a negative perspective. To shed a little more light for any interested, I have been building and modifying engines all of my adult life including many diesels. The ISX is a great engine but the EPA mandated equipment has made it very unreliable. I did a lot of research on truckers blogs and looked at all of the options out there before doing this. There were about 15 professional trucks in line to have the same work done by the facility that programed my ECM. Cummins does not have a problem with any of this so long as the engine is out of their warranty. I did keep all of the components I removed but I am confident that I nor anyone else would ever want to place them back on this engine. I had a coolant leak from the 7th injector that prompted all of this for me but I will gladly accept the cleaner oil, better economy, greater reliability, and about 150 lbs less engine weight!

Thanks again, lets remember Memorial Day for those who paid the price for us to freely drive these homes on wheels anywhere we want!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

I need to clear ECM trouble codes

Give a hoot.

Don't polute.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #13

Probably the least expensive thing to buy would be a Scangauge D --- they are presently on sale at Camping World for $149.00 (normal is $200.00). I have used it before to clear codes --- I don't have all of the "bells and whistles" you have on your newer coach so I use it to monitor several things on my engine. I have been pleased with it.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #14

If you have a freightliner chassis you can put in the code on the dash display 8127 and erase them
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote