Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

I'll Bet No One Can Answer This

I still have my "well-experienced" 1996 Discovery with a Cummins B5.9 pushing me down the road every month. This particular Fleetwood product came with a Jacobs Extarder Compression Brake Cummins B5.9 Series. It is switched on and off by a toggle switch on the dash. Problem is, the toggle switch still opens and closes the circuit (checked with a meter) but the Extarder is stuck in the "On" position. Does anyone know how to make it stick in the "Off" position? I would rather have it off than on all the time due to my personal driving habits.
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Volunteer
If it's an exhaust brake that is mounted in the exhaust downstream of the turbo it sounds like the pivot shaft for the butterfly valve is stuck or seized. Try disconnecting the actuator from the pivot lever and see if the valve moves freely for starters.
hope this might help.
Cheers
Rick T.
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowlites View Post
Volunteer
If it's an exhaust brake that is mounted in the exhaust downstream of the turbo it sounds like the pivot shaft for the butterfly valve is stuck or seized. Try disconnecting the actuator from the pivot lever and see if the valve moves freely for starters.
hope this might help.
Cheers
Rick T.
Bang on Rick.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

By "stuck in the on position" do you mean that the extarder butterfly is stuck closed, or do you mean that the circuit remains energized causing the extarder butterfly to close each time you let off the throttle?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #5

Good Question DonL

It's acting like the switch is always on, meaning it downshifts every time I let off the accelerator. Since I've never had a seizing problem before, I just presumed the circuit was "stuck" in a way that caused the extarder to always be on. Guess I was looking for a known fuse or wiring problem for this model. I'll be sure to get someone to look at the butterfly for me. A sticking valve sounds logical to me.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

Your problem is electrical, not mechanical. If the extarder valve is seized shut, you would experience a serious loss of power. What chassis is your coach on? Do you have wiring diagrams for it? I would look first for a relay that has failed in the energized position.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
I still have my "well-experienced" 1996 Discovery with a Cummins B5.9 pushing me down the road every month. This particular Fleetwood product came with a Jacobs Extarder Compression Brake Cummins B5.9 Series. It is switched on and off by a toggle switch on the dash. Problem is, the toggle switch still opens and closes the circuit (checked with a meter) but the Extarder is stuck in the "On" position. Does anyone know how to make it stick in the "Off" position? I would rather have it off than on all the time due to my personal driving habits.
Volunteer
The Jacobs Extarder is a Jacob's brand "exhaust brake", (not a "compression brake").
Follow the excellent advice given thus far for exhust brakes.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

You may have to disassemble the E-brake to free-up working parts. When you get it moving, lubricate with special high-temperature stuff from Pacbrake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
I agree with DonL that it sounds like an electrical problem not mechanical. If your brake comes on every time you let off the accelerator it is working correctly and the butterfly is NOT stuck. "You are just not able to tell the extarder you don't need its services at this time!" If it were me I would pull the toggle switch on the dash. If the switch is good and all wires are connected I would check for a relay close to the extarder that may have failed. When you find the relay excite it with a separate source of 12 VDC power to see if the actuator will operate. If you can get your hands on a wiring diagram or electrical print it would make the treasure hunt a lot easier! Some of the smarter guys on this forum will be able to tell you if the extarder needs elec power to operate or if its failure mode is on.
Let us know how you solve the problem as we might have the same thing happen to us in the future.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #10

That's What I'm Looking For, rag_ftw

I have the wiring diagram and will try to get my feeble mind to understand it. My original hope was that someone else may have had this same problem with an old mechanical Cummins and might know a few hiding places for a relay ... other than the usual suspects.

Mel S, I don't doubt you know what you're talking about but I copied the printing from the label attached to my Discovery's dash and it said exactly what I put in my original post, word for word.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
Mel S, I don't doubt you know what you're talking about but I copied the printing from the label attached to my Discovery's dash and it said exactly what I put in my original post, word for word.
Volunteer
Not always ...(but I'm always willing to learn).
Thanks for the lesson.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #12

Friends, he said in his original post He's already tested the electrical circuit and it works.That, IMO means the problem is mechanical..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

There is a switch in the throttle as well which activates the system when your driving it. The dash switch arms it but as you say it is remaining armed and comes on every time you let off the throttle. The throttle switch would be my next place to find as you could dis able it there or splice into it and add a over ride to it. My bet is that will be located on the engine which is where I would of put it. That way it would not be affected by poor linkage or a bad throttle cable.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Friends, he said in his original post He's already tested the electrical circuit and it works.That, IMO means the problem is mechanical..
Actually, it sounds like he's tested the SWITCH and it works, but he hasn't necessarily tested the whole circuit. What does the switch control? Is there a relay in there somewhere that may have failed? Is there a control board? Is there a problem in the wiring going to the relay or control board? What triggers the brake when the accelerator is released, is that working? And so on?

Until the entire circuit is traced all the way to the final actuator, one can't say that the electrical circuit is fully tested.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote