RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cool Intermittent power loss ISC 315 hp

Cummins ISC 315hp in a 2002 Holiday Rambler Ambassador RV. When power loss suddenly occurs, boost is only 6-9 no matter how much accelerator pedal is pushed. First occurred in Klamath Falls OR - went to Pape Cat/ Kenworth and it checked OK and diagnostic laptop showed no problems. OK for a couple hundred miles and next day happened again going up a long hill on I-5. Speed dropped to about 25 mph, even when downshifted, boost low again. Started working again, then intermittently occurred and resumed OK until a long hill (Emigrant Pass on I-80 Eastbound in Nevada) when I called for service when it would not resume OK. Towed to Cummins in Elko, NV. Was there over a weekend and after 4 days they had replaced the Fuel Injection controller ($1500. part, may not be exact name) and we all thought it was good to go. Started malfunctioning intermittently again between Laramie WY and Denver but livable because not on big hills and we had to keep going if possible because of freezing weather close behind us.. When it malfunctions on level terrain it only drops speed to about 50 mph and can even accelerate to up to 65 going down slight hills. We need to get back home to Florida so I am inclined to keep going and not be stuck anywhere for days again. We are in Memphis for Thanksgiving and no major hills between here and home, about 800 more miles. Any ideas? Is there a valve of some kind (maybe EGR?) that could intermittently stick causing this problem? Thinking about locating EGR and seeing if I can get to it to give it a good whack to see if that makes it go away! Will probably find a Cummins service shop when I get home in Florida next week. Appreciate any ideas; don't want to pull into an RV place which might just start replacing multiple items until it is fixed! All filters changed (oil, air, fuel) and oil was changed during service just before start of trip.
LarryH14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #2

The symptoms are from a lack of fuel. Usually the first thing to try is changing the fuel filter, but this problem could be anything from an accelerator pedal position sensor to a poor ground to an intermittent connection in the wiring to a failing CAPS pump to even the ECM. I would certainly complain to the last place that worked on it since they did not fix the problem and charged a rather large amount (in my book). At a minimum I would still change the fuel filter. It is possible that you got some dirty fuel and it is plugging up.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
should not be EGR on a ISC of that era. Did you add fuel after the controller was replaced?
And EGR wont just fail all of a sudden normally. Its an accumulation of deposits.I would see if you can get a fuel pressure reading at the lift pump.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

If it's on a Freightliner chassis suspect a plugged screen on the lift pump. From about 2002-2005 Freightliner only installed one fuel filter and it was after the lift pump.
Hopefully, that's not your problem, but that's exactly what happened to a 2004 Winnebago that I owned.
Good luck.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the Responses- will get back with outcome

Thank you! I appreciate the replies. This problem still occurs intermittently (sometimes only once or twice briefly during a day of driving) so it is difficult to see if something works or not. However, we have now made it back home to Florida and I will be trying several DIY possibilities as you have suggested before taking it to a local Cummins service facility. Maybe they will give me a break since another Cummins replaced a part which did not cure the problem and cost me over $1800.00 already. I am working out several new problems which came up before taking it to Cummins though. I am having to replace the coolant fill reservoir due to a leak which could only be patched to slow down enough to get me home, and a fresh water system failure. I will definitely come back here and post the problem resolution when it is fixed! Thanks again!
LarryH14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you called Cummins Access Help Line and asked them. Possible they may have some ideas. What chassis maker do you have, possible a call to the chassis maker if still in business. Do not discount those as a good resource.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power