RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #1

Isb 300

Greetings: I just bought a 2002 34' HR with a Cummins ISB 300 motor. I've been searching on line to see what I can do to boost the power safely but I've been running into the question, is it a 5.9 or 8.3, and I don't know how to answer that question. Does anyone know how I'd find this out? Also, in general, what are people doing to stock engines, mine has 46k miles, to safely beef them up so they climb better, etc. I don't tow, but who knows if the previous owner did? Your advice would be much appreciated.
george

Rambler42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 04:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
ISB (5.9) is the same or almost the same engine that is put into 3/4 and 1 ton dodge pickup trucks. ISC (8.3) is a physically much larger engine that was used in medium duty trucks (school buses, wreckers, etc).

There are many aftermarket tuners that can boost power in an ISB. For the ISC there are not very many and are often expensive. The limiting factor will be what transmission you have. Lots of power can be made with the ISB however it only goes so far as how much your transmission can handle or is rated for.

BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

The ISB is either a 5.9L or a 6.7L engine, but given your year MH, you have the 5.9L. The 8.3L is the ISC engine.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #4

Call Cummins with the serial number to find out for sure.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #5

Thank you, sir. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler42 View Post
Greetings: .... so they climb better, etc. ...
george
Are you in a hurry to get to the top of the hill?

In any case, you need to go slow going down.

You may find that slowing down in a MH makes the trip more enjoyably.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #7

I spoke to Banks Power today and based on what I told the man on the phone he says I have a 5.9. They have a kit to boost hp by 70 and torque by 120 ftlbs. I guess, for 2300.00 bucks I should ask you all, is it worth it? Will these increases make a noticeable difference?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #8

No, I won't be in a hurry but some of the places my wife is thinking of going involve some pretty steep hills and I just want to be sure we get up the without overheating. My unit has a flat panel with places you just push down on to shift. The trans is a 6 speed Alison with an addition button labeled "mode". Is this some sort of over-overdrive?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Call Cummins with the serial number to find out for sure.
Yes, I think calling Cummins with my serial number is a great idea. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for that advice.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #10

Rambler -

Welcome to the forum. As others have said you probably have a 5.9L ISB engine. Before tuning the engine horsepower confirm the type of transmission you have. My prior 2007 Damon Astoria had a 5.9L ISB coupled to an Allison 2500MH transmission. Turning the engine for higher HP and torque output would have exceed the max torque rating for the 2500MH transmission.
Make sure your transmission is rated for the torque your tuned up engine could produce.

Hopefully you have owners manual or other documents that state your transmission type.

Also, to get better help from the forum create a signature block that shows motorhome brand, model, model number, etc. so forum members have more details about your coach.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #11

Cummins did not produce the 6.7L ISB until 2007, so your 2002 motorhome must have the 5.9L ISB. No need to call Cummins for verification.

You should, however, get verification on the transmission as stated, above. A 3000 series will handle a power/torque increase, but a 2500 may not. Do this if you are seriously considering a power increase.

In general, you have a relatively small MH at 34' and it appears to be similar to one of my previous coaches that had the 300 hp ISB. Mine, however, had the Allison 2500 five speed transmission, but I found it adequate for the job. Yes, some steep or long grades were climbed slowly, but never had an issue with overheating as long as down shifting was done to keep the RPMs in the proper range. These grades were done pulling a toad as well.

I met someone at a campground that had the exact same coach as mine, and he had installed the Banks system. He had just returned from a trip to Alaska and felt it was well worth it and he noticed an improvement in performance. He did mention that there can be some "glitches" associated with the Banks retrofit, but that a local diesel expert had done the install and all went well from the get-go.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
No, I won't be in a hurry but some of the places my wife is thinking of going involve some pretty steep hills and I just want to be sure we get up the without overheating. My unit has a flat panel with places you just push down on to shift. The trans is a 6 speed Alison with an addition button labeled "mode". Is this some sort of over-overdrive?
First of all the 6 speed Alison is a great transmission. It has an economy mode that I rarely use since 75% of my driving is in mountains. Last year I had the transmission fluid changed to synthetic.

I push my ISB very hard and have 175k on it. I like to avoid the interstate. I go over White Pass (US-12) 4 times a year. There are stretches where 35 mph are as fast I go. Oh wait that is in my Civic. Four RV that I can see in front of me. On one steep grade, I was stopped for road construction and could only get to 25 mph from a standing stop.

More later, got to go!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
overheating
Back from active grand parenting.

Depending on how dirty my radiator is and the length of the climb, I can expect the check engine light to come on but it does not get to the 'limp' mode.

You will want to read some of the post about cleaning a rear radiator.

My 275 HP 24 valve ISB has a Banks power pack put on by the first owner giving it 300 HP.

Every time you go up and down a hill, you put a thermal stress on the engine. I am having my exhaust manifold replaced with a performance enhancing one next week because of a 360 degree crack in the one with 175K miles. Not an uncommon problem as the miles pile on under heavy loads.

The new exhaust manifold is twice as expensive as my OEM part which I can no longer get from Cummins. I am not doing it for performance but because this part will handle the thermal stress better.

So I have been hanging around listening to hard core diesel performance guys.

Better than a reality TV show! I keep hearing them explain to not increase performance past design limits of the engine and other components.

Any any case your 4 year newer engine may already benefit from improvements made from my 275 hp version.

I am also have a second lift pump installed closer to the fuel tank. Again this may already be done on yours.

I have previously installed a fuel pressure gauge before the injector pump which are expensive to replace.

These are things to ask about if you are looking at having work done.

My recommendation is to do nothing until you have a few short trips under your belt. With my 40,000 miles I have been happy with performance and added a civic on a tow dolly.

My newbie mistake on the first MH was tires aging out. Blew a rear tire in west Texas passing a truck going up a grade. I like to keep the speed to 65 mph but the truck sped up. First time up to 70 and had a bad sound. The next exit was a dirt road with cattle guard. Tire on the other side had a bulge the size of a grape fruit.

What I have learned in five years of being full time is that no one in the world has the skill to dive a MH with too much hp when something goes wrong. It is just physics.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Rambler -

Welcome to the forum. As others have said you probably have a 5.9L ISB engine. Before tuning the engine horsepower confirm the type of transmission you have. My prior 2007 Damon Astoria had a 5.9L ISB coupled to an Allison 2500MH transmission. Turning the engine for higher HP and torque output would have exceed the max torque rating for the 2500MH transmission.
Make sure your transmission is rated for the torque your tuned up engine could produce.

Hopefully you have owners manual or other documents that state your transmission type.

Also, to get better help from the forum create a signature block that shows motorhome brand, model, model number, etc. so forum members have more details about your coach.
Thanks for that advice. I have the 6 speed Alison 3000MH transmission. As soon as I figure out how to create a signature with my motorhome details I'll post it.