RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
ISC 315 - Can it be powered up?

Hi folks!

I have a 2000 ISC315 and seem to have heard that they came in different power outputs. Is that done by software? How high can they go? How much does it cost?

Also, on test drives the turbo boost seems to not go any higher than between 20 and 25 on the gage. Is that normal? How should I test that?

Newby driver here, two test flights and counting....
__________________
Best!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,399
Get the CPL [Cummins Parts List] off the tag on the engine block, and call Cummins and give them that number, they can then tell you if your engine can be upgraded. If you can, you need to find a Cummins shop with Insite program and they can do it via engine diagnostic port. I paid $450 to do an older coach I had.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
Thanks for the info! Was it worth it? Did you notice a difference?
__________________
Best!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,209
Bob,


It is/should be more than a question of "can I get more HP?".


The time you will most want that extra HP is on long grades.


Here, the COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY will likely limit what you can do. Said another way to generate more HP, you WILL generate more heat. Very few DP cooling systems were over-sized enough to handle more than their designed heat load.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Thanks for the info! Was it worth it? Did you notice a difference?
I upgraded from 450 hp 1450 ft/lbs of torque to 500 hp 1550 ft/lbs of torque. I always install a pyro and the ability to read boost pressure to give me an instantaneous picture of engine load without having to rely on rising water temps. On my coach the cooling was adequate to handle the increased heat with no problems. But as Wolfe said, not all coaches have cooling systems that can handle big hp gains.
I was happy with mine, not really noticeable except for the the increased merging speed when getting on to a freeway and the ability to stay out the the slow lane on many hills.
I had a ISC 350 and when I called Cummins, they said I was already maxed out. That engine had 350 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. Good luck on your upgrade.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 20,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I upgraded from 450 hp 1450 ft/lbs of torque to 500 hp 1550 ft/lbs of torque. I always install a pyro and the ability to read boost pressure to give me an instantaneous picture of engine load without having to rely on rising water temps. On my coach the cooling was adequate to handle the increased heat with no problems. But as Wolfe said, not all coaches have cooling systems that can handle big hp gains.
I was happy with mine, not really noticeable except for the the increased merging speed when getting on to a freeway and the ability to stay out the the slow lane on many hills.
I had a ISC 350 and when I called Cummins, they said I was already maxed out. That engine had 350 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. Good luck on your upgrade.
I have the same ISC 350, last July I asked the service manager of Cummins Great Plains about the cost of uprating to 380 HP, the maximum stock HP from Cummins. He said yes, then said it would cost me $700. I came home with the same 350HP.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have the same ISC 350, last July I asked the service manager of Cummins Great Plains about the cost of uprating to 380 HP, the maximum stock HP from Cummins. He said yes, then said it would cost me $700. I came home with the same 350HP.
Appears it varies from place to place. When I got my 500 hp tune, Cummins Southern Plains said no way, found a local Cummins shop with authorized Insite computer, he ran my CPL and said he would do the tune. I was not too worried about the hp, just wanted the fatter torque curve.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
Interesting. I suspect it's less that they are doing a 'tune' and more that Cummins has different programs for different power demands.

I asked them today about my ISC 315 and they looked into it and found that, without changing parts, they could turn it into an ISC 350 - that's it. Their recommendation was not do it because the torque increase did not warrant it.

I'm looking into getting an Insite setup and if I can find the file somewhere I'll do it. But it doesn't sound like it's worth paying for.
__________________
Best!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Interesting. I suspect it's less that they are doing a 'tune' and more that Cummins has different programs for different power demands.

I asked them today about my ISC 315 and they looked into it and found that, without changing parts, they could turn it into an ISC 350 - that's it. Their recommendation was not do it because the torque increase did not warrant it.

I'm looking into getting an Insite setup and if I can find the file somewhere I'll do it. But it doesn't sound like it's worth paying for.
Yes tune is the wrong word. Cummins has a complete ECM program for each hp rating. Good luck on the Insite setup. My Cummins guy said he pays $4000 a year for an official Cummins supplied computer and some extra for every program he downloads.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
I did the same with my Mercedes. I have the same gear the dealership has when they work on the car. China is copying a LOT of that stuff and they have even repaired my car remotely from China (!!). It was really something to see.

So far it looks like $200 will do it for all the Cummins gear. As for tune files or updating the ECU, I won't know until I get there but the equipment can do it.
__________________
Best!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 532
Don't forget to look into the torque limitation of your transmission, just in case.
__________________
2011 Coachmen Sportscoach 6.7 ISB, 08 Wrangler
Dark Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Don't forget to look into the torque limitation of your transmission, just in case.
Good point, thanks for reminding me
__________________
Best!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooling System overhaul on my Cummins ISC-315 engine thesoundguy Cummins Engines 4 12-28-2017 08:12 AM
Intermittent power loss ISC 315 hp LarryH14 Cummins Engines 5 12-02-2016 06:57 AM
Turn ISC 315 HP up to 350 HP? RandyS549 Monaco Owner's Forum 7 09-19-2014 12:59 PM
Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet mothgrey Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 11-18-2013 04:51 PM
Changing Oil - Cummins 315 ISC BIGRED1 MH-General Discussions & Problems 6 08-08-2006 01:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.