Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ISC 315 - Can it be powered up?

Hi folks!

I have a 2000 ISC315 and seem to have heard that they came in different power outputs. Is that done by software? How high can they go? How much does it cost?

Also, on test drives the turbo boost seems to not go any higher than between 20 and 25 on the gage. Is that normal? How should I test that?

Newby driver here, two test flights and counting....
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #2

Get the CPL [Cummins Parts List] off the tag on the engine block, and call Cummins and give them that number, they can then tell you if your engine can be upgraded. If you can, you need to find a Cummins shop with Insite program and they can do it via engine diagnostic port. I paid $450 to do an older coach I had.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info! Was it worth it? Did you notice a difference?
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Bob,

It is/should be more than a question of "can I get more HP?".

The time you will most want that extra HP is on long grades.

Here, the COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY will likely limit what you can do. Said another way to generate more HP, you WILL generate more heat. Very few DP cooling systems were over-sized enough to handle more than their designed heat load.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Thanks for the info! Was it worth it? Did you notice a difference?
I upgraded from 450 hp 1450 ft/lbs of torque to 500 hp 1550 ft/lbs of torque. I always install a pyro and the ability to read boost pressure to give me an instantaneous picture of engine load without having to rely on rising water temps. On my coach the cooling was adequate to handle the increased heat with no problems. But as Wolfe said, not all coaches have cooling systems that can handle big hp gains.
I was happy with mine, not really noticeable except for the the increased merging speed when getting on to a freeway and the ability to stay out the the slow lane on many hills.
I had a ISC 350 and when I called Cummins, they said I was already maxed out. That engine had 350 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. Good luck on your upgrade.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I upgraded from 450 hp 1450 ft/lbs of torque to 500 hp 1550 ft/lbs of torque. I always install a pyro and the ability to read boost pressure to give me an instantaneous picture of engine load without having to rely on rising water temps. On my coach the cooling was adequate to handle the increased heat with no problems. But as Wolfe said, not all coaches have cooling systems that can handle big hp gains.
I was happy with mine, not really noticeable except for the the increased merging speed when getting on to a freeway and the ability to stay out the the slow lane on many hills.
I had a ISC 350 and when I called Cummins, they said I was already maxed out. That engine had 350 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. Good luck on your upgrade.
I have the same ISC 350, last July I asked the service manager of Cummins Great Plains about the cost of uprating to 380 HP, the maximum stock HP from Cummins. He said yes, then said it would cost me $700. I came home with the same 350HP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have the same ISC 350, last July I asked the service manager of Cummins Great Plains about the cost of uprating to 380 HP, the maximum stock HP from Cummins. He said yes, then said it would cost me $700. I came home with the same 350HP.
Appears it varies from place to place. When I got my 500 hp tune, Cummins Southern Plains said no way, found a local Cummins shop with authorized Insite computer, he ran my CPL and said he would do the tune. I was not too worried about the hp, just wanted the fatter torque curve.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting. I suspect it's less that they are doing a 'tune' and more that Cummins has different programs for different power demands.

I asked them today about my ISC 315 and they looked into it and found that, without changing parts, they could turn it into an ISC 350 - that's it. Their recommendation was not do it because the torque increase did not warrant it.

I'm looking into getting an Insite setup and if I can find the file somewhere I'll do it. But it doesn't sound like it's worth paying for.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Interesting. I suspect it's less that they are doing a 'tune' and more that Cummins has different programs for different power demands.

I asked them today about my ISC 315 and they looked into it and found that, without changing parts, they could turn it into an ISC 350 - that's it. Their recommendation was not do it because the torque increase did not warrant it.

I'm looking into getting an Insite setup and if I can find the file somewhere I'll do it. But it doesn't sound like it's worth paying for.
Yes tune is the wrong word. Cummins has a complete ECM program for each hp rating. Good luck on the Insite setup. My Cummins guy said he pays $4000 a year for an official Cummins supplied computer and some extra for every program he downloads.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I did the same with my Mercedes. I have the same gear the dealership has when they work on the car. China is copying a LOT of that stuff and they have even repaired my car remotely from China (!!). It was really something to see.

So far it looks like $200 will do it for all the Cummins gear. As for tune files or updating the ECU, I won't know until I get there but the equipment can do it.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #11

Don't forget to look into the torque limitation of your transmission, just in case.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Don't forget to look into the torque limitation of your transmission, just in case.
Good point, thanks for reminding me

Tags
power