Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
ISC Fuel Filter Change

So I did my first fuel filter change without pre filling them, I did the dry install method and it worked out. I wanted to do this while not being on the side of the rd trying it for the first time. So here’s my question. I noticed some small black chips in the primary filter bowl. Is it possible it could be PCs of fuel hose? I plan on looking at them closer tomorrow after I pick them out and lay them on a paper towel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ISC Fuel Filter Change

There’s a great read in the current issue of Family RVing magazine on Diesel chassis maintenance. I would check it out. I’m a little confused however as to what they are calling the fuel water separator, and which one is the primary filter? When I bought my filters they call both of the them fuel water separators. I was under the assumption the one with the plastic bowl is the primary filter. The other with the sensor plug on the bottom was the secondary filter. Again in the filter description the are both called out as fuel water filters?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	366865Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	366866
Old 05-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ISC Fuel Filter Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So I did my first fuel filter change without pre filling them, I did the dry install method and it worked out. I wanted to do this while not being on the side of the rd trying it for the first time. So here’s my question. I noticed some small black chips in the primary filter bowl. Is it possible it could be PCs of fuel hose? I plan on looking at them closer tomorrow after I pick them out and lay them on a paper towel.

So an update on this. The chunks just seem to be sediment. I strained them out onto a paper towel and they were easily compressed between my thumb and finger and turned into dust basically. This is a little kit I put together for filter changes. Set the filter into the strainer and let the fuel drop into the container and repeat as needed. If fuel is good put it back into the tank. ATTACH]366911[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4162.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	366911  
Old 05-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

This might explain the sediment you found: https://criticalfueltech.com/faq.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That’s a long read but good. This seemed more like small dirty grease chunks that you could scrape off your engine? I didn’t take any pictures unfortunately I usually take pictures of everything.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your secondary filter should be FF****.

Any filter that's FS****, is a water separating filter. On your Cummins, your going to want a 5micron secondary filter.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ISC Fuel Filter Change

Both fuel filters shown above are my filters and has FS on them and are both different. Both are called out as fuel water separator, that was my question. It’s obvious the one with the sensor built in is the water sensor and the other has the plastic bowl on the bottom that I’m calling the primary filter. In that write up I mentioned above they call out the primary filter as the the fuel/ water filter. Just a little confusion in my mind.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

Yes, primary fuel filter is the first one the fuel get to from the tank. It has a courser filter media-- typically between 10 and 30 micron and also serves as water separator duty. I am a big fan of the clear bowl variety, as you can see at a glance if there is water or dirt in it.

The secondary fuel filter is finer-- typically between 2 and 5 micron (engine manufacturer specs how fine it needs to be and varies by engine and which fuel system it has.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #9

Does your primary water separating filter with the clear bowl have the plug on the bottom for your water sensor to plug into?
Old 05-31-2022, 06:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ISC Fuel Filter Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Does your primary water separating filter with the clear bowl have the plug on the bottom for your water sensor to plug into?

No it doesn’t that is on the second filter I show in post 2.
This is not a big deal I think I got the clarity I wanted. They both have some water collection capability the clear bowl filter is primary the one with the sensor is secondary.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:22 AM   #11

Looks like a previous owner wanted a separator with the clear bowl, so then they installed a second separating filter on to satisfy the water sensor wiring.

Not going to hurt anything, but I'd make sure that secondary filters down to 5micron.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ISC Fuel Filter Change

The secondary is a 10 micron. This is a quote from old thread below.

At the last fuel filter change that was made at a service shop, they put a 2 micron filter on my 2002 ISC -- 350 HP Cummins engine. I have a two filter set up on my coach. The first filter was a 10 micron and the service shop put a 2 micron filter as the second filter. I started to experience a "studdering" from the engine when I put it under load and started researching and finally talked with Cummins. They said "never put a 2 micron filter on my engine -- it will starve it for fuel !" They told me that the two filters I should be using would both be 10 micron filters. I changed out the filters to two FleetGuard filters (one being the FS1022 mentioned above) and the other is another number FleetGuard (but it is also a 10 micron filter with the water sensor mounted on it). The engine now runs like a new engine and does not have any problems under load. In Service bulletins put out by Cummins they state (for my engine) to never use a filter less than 10 microns. Just thought I would throw this out as my experience with the smaller micron filters.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
This is a quote from old thread.

At the last fuel filter change that was made at a service shop, they put a 2 micron filter on my 2002 ISC -- 350 HP Cummins engine. I have a two filter set up on my coach. The first filter was a 10 micron and the service shop put a 2 micron filter as the second filter. I started to experience a "studdering" from the engine when I put it under load and started researching and finally talked with Cummins. They said "never put a 2 micron filter on my engine -- it will starve it for fuel !" They told me that the two filters I should be using would both be 10 micron filters. I changed out the filters to two FleetGuard filters (one being the FS1022 mentioned above) and the other is another number FleetGuard (but it is also a 10 micron filter with the water sensor mounted on it). The engine now runs like a new engine and does not have any problems under load. In Service bulletins put out by Cummins they state (for my engine) to never use a filter less than 10 microns. Just thought I would throw this out as my experience with the smaller micron filters.

Sorry, but makes NO SENSE to have a 10 micron primary and a 10 micron secondary. The primary will catch everything and the secondary will "go along for the ride".

Please do confirm that 10 micron IS the correct final/secondary filter element-- many are 5 micron.

And, if 10 micron is the correct secondary, go with a 25-30 micron primary.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I looked in my manual, which lists the fuel filters, and both of mine were spec'd at 10 Micron.

I may look at going with a finer filter on the secondary since I've installed a FASS pump that has it's own filter but pushed fuel back to the secondary. I removed the original primary filter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change