Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ISC Fuel Filters

My 2000 Cummins ISC has two fuel filters, standard were a Raycore S3201T primary and Fleetguard 1022 secondary. It came to me with a NAPA 3783 Primary and 3422 secondary filter. Both are 2 micron. The Raycore S3201T is a 10 micron filter and I can't find out what the Fleetguard 1022 is, but I suspect its also a 10 micron filter.

So, here's my thoughts, the specs for the Raycore 30, 10 and 2 micron filters flow the same 90 gallons per hour. I'm thinking this is the way all filters work. The only thing I risk by running two 2 micron filters instead of two 10s or a 10 and a 2 is early clogging. Does that make sense?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All the diesel pusher's I've had the 10 or 30 micron was the first in line then the 2 micron. Never had 2 of the same micron installed. Never had one plug either.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

Personally I would want the 10 micron filter as the first filter to keep the 'big' chunks out of the 2 micron filter.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
The FS1022 is a 10 micron filter.

https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.co...art&_locale=en
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Thanks, I couldn't find that info.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, early clogging is the concern. The usual set-up is a coarse filter & water separator, followed by a fine (2 micron) filter nearer the injector pump. A 2 micron primary filter probably isn't going to maintain that 90 gallon flow rate very long and you will be changing it sooner. Hard top predict how dirty or clean any given batch of fuel will be, though.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same set up as you for stock. I use the fs1002 as primary and the S3201t as secondary. Just so you are aware, Cummins recommends 10M filters.

There is much more to the filter logic than is intuitive. The micron rating is usually spec'ed as nominal. Meaning that the average particle that passes is at the rating size. When filtering already clean fuel the flow rate is as spec'ed, however, when filtering non clean fuel the smallest holes get plugged quickly which lowers the flow rate quickly. Lower flow rate equals less cooling which is bad for CAPS pumps. Those who choose to add pumps also have to be careful at what pressure they pump, because a pump can push larger particles through the media.

Racor is the goto filter in the marine industry, they are top notch for water rejection, which is why they have a see through bowl. If you really want to run 2M filter you would be best to do it as an additional bypass filter. The other option is to put more than one in parallel so as to keep flow rates high enough. Do a search about filter size rating, there is a lot I don't know.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Once I use all these filters, I'm going back to the Raycore S3201T as primary and keep the NAPA 3422 as secondary.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Community Moderator

i have been using fleetguard FS1212 and FS1022 as primary and secondary for my isc 350, former is 20m and latter is 10m. it had no issues.

isn't 10m for primary a little too fine?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Be careful, the Wix/Napa is a true 2 micron where the OE Cummins FS1022 is a 10. I was warned by Cummins that by doing this it will starve the CAPS pump. I returned my Napa filters.
My coach uses a FS1015 and FS1022, since the aftermarket industry wanted to lower the micron ratings on their cross references I just bought the OE filters in bulk so it kept the cost down and it wasn't so bad.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Be careful, the Wix/Napa is a true 2 micron where the OE Cummins FS1022 is a 10. I was warned by Cummins that by doing this it will starve the CAPS pump. I returned my Napa filters.
My coach uses a FS1015 and FS1022, since the aftermarket industry wanted to lower the micron ratings on their cross references I just bought the OE filters in bulk so it kept the cost down and it wasn't so bad.
That's what I thought might happen, but the flow rate for Raycore, Napa and Fleetguard are all listed as 90 GPM regardless of their micron rating. There was a post on here by an engineer that explained why, but I don't remember what thread it was in.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Ok I am perplexed at this thread. So I now am concerned about flow vs. micron rating. Our new to us coach came with fleetguard fuel filters which I replaced with napa filters matched to the fleetguard filters, napa 3422 and 3242. One is a ten micron and one is a two micron. I always like a fine filtration rate but the flow... I have just googled isc fuel filters and quickly came across this site Helpful Cummins ISC Information I have no affiliation here just a reference. They recommend Fleetguard filters fs1022 10 mic and ff5488 five micron. I am also going to look in the owners manual for their filter recommendations. Five micron seems like a good middle of the road?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a good primer in filtration. The summary is a 10M filter does not mean only 10M or smaller gets through.

Let's look at cost benefit risks of over filtration. If you filter as required by Cummins you will get hundreds of thousand of miles of trouble free operation, usually. If you want better filtration then you run the risk of undercooling the pump. To compensate for this risk you are going to have to invest in a way to monitor flow rating on the fuel. Vacuum gauge differential pressure or something else. If you do all of that then how much better life do you get? Any? Those of you with failures want to insure it doesn't happen again. I submit you will have a better return on your dollar to insure there are no upstream air leaks and your filtration system meets Cummins spec. Further, be very fussy about where you buy your fuel. See a tanker adding fuel to the station? Go down the road. Run a biocide and lubriciity additive, change filtration yearly, at least.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Ok I am perplexed at this thread. So I now am concerned about flow vs. micron rating. Our new to us coach came with fleetguard fuel filters which I replaced with napa filters matched to the fleetguard filters, napa 3422 and 3242. One is a ten micron and one is a two micron. I always like a fine filtration rate but the flow... I have just googled isc fuel filters and quickly came across this site Helpful Cummins ISC Information I have no affiliation here just a reference. They recommend Fleetguard filters fs1022 10 mic and ff5488 five micron. I am also going to look in the owners manual for their filter recommendations. Five micron seems like a good middle of the road?
I think we probably worry to much. My coach has 120k on it and the previous owner put 112K on it with two 2 micron filters as primary and secondary. He changed them often. All the info I can find on filters recommended in the owners manual or as proprietary such as Napa flow the same regardless of micron rating.

Tags
fuel