Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
ISC Intermittent Check Eng Light

2003 ISC 350 with CAPS. Getting intermittent ENG PID 94 10, Fuel Delivery Pressure, abnormal change with approx 20% eng derate when light is on.
Changed fuel filter, no help.
No visible fuel leaks on prestart or after engine is running.
What say ye Cummins experts?
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #2

Other than a restriction due to fuel filter restriction plus long run from tank, AIR getting into the fuel system can cause that. Leak could be at the filter, at the lift pump (a prime candidate) or in the fuel line itself.

Make sure the lift pump is tight and not leaking fuel (which would suck air in when under the vacuum of engine running.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Other than a restriction due to fuel filter restriction plus long run from tank, AIR getting into the fuel system can cause that. Leak could be at the filter, at the lift pump (a prime candidate) or in the fuel line itself.

Make sure the lift pump is tight and not leaking fuel (which would suck air in when under the vacuum of engine running.
Changed fuel filter - no change in symptoms
No visible fuel leaks before or after engine start.

If it was an air leak I would think it would be constant and not intermittent. Is this not good thinking?
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 11-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post

If it was an air leak I would think it would be constant and not intermittent. Is this not good thinking?

Not necessarily. Higher engine load= more suction on fuel line. If air leak, it could be load dependent.

Cold vs warm engine could also be a factor-- parts expand with temperature and contract with cold.

Agree, if massive leak, symptoms should be more constant.

With the high incident of failure of the lift pump/leak at the lift pump, were it my engine, I would sure check it out. Only takes a few minutes.

Could it be something else-- sure. But start with the low cost/high failure rate stuff before considering "worse case" items.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
TR4

I agree with wolfe10, check the lift pump and fuel lines. Diesel fuel is nearly an incompressible fluid, so ANY air in the lines going to the CAPS pump reduces fuel pressure to the injectors.

Bill
Old 11-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
2003 ISC 350 with CAPS. Getting intermittent ENG PID 94 10, Fuel Delivery Pressure, abnormal change with approx 20% eng derate when light is on.
Changed fuel filter, no help.
No visible fuel leaks on prestart or after engine is running.
What say ye Cummins experts?
Use the trouble shooting guide, when it's acting up start at step 4b.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf troubleshooting-tree.pdf (256.1 KB, 42 views)
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you are not a member of the Cummins Quickserve site I'd suggest you join.

I had the same code come back in July/Aug. I was letting the engine run while fueling and it started to stumble and puffs of black smoke came out. Checked my Silverleaf diagnostic and it showed me the code but it was inactive. It has not happened again.

This is what I got off the Quickserve site, you can actually search for the fault code and it will supply documentation as how to troubleshoot.

Based on what I found it could be your fuel pressure sensor and or problem with the wiring harness.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Pressure Sensor Circuit faul t94 10.pdf (63.0 KB, 21 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Thanks, Jim. I won't be able to work on it again until after Thanksgiving.

Additional info: Started when we left Salt Lake and initially it was just 3 or 4 times when we first started rolling. Once everything heated up it didn't repeat. As the trip to FTW continued it happened more frequently and by the time we got to FTW it was happening every few minutes and didn't stop when everything warmed up. Doesn't seem to be throttle related. It will happen from 1/2 to full throttle. Check engine and derate will last from a couple to 30 seconds.
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 11-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Once again you guys led me to the problem. Looking at the pressure sensor I noticed one of the three wires had come out of the connector. Stripped off some additional insulation, stuck the wire back in the connector, added another piece of wire to tighten everything up and covered the top of the connector with potting compound. No 94-10 (456) fault code and check engine light is out. That was a $320.00 savings!

Thanks gents!
2023 F-150 Towed

Tags
light