Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

ISC Lift Pump Potential Leak BUT It Is Bypassed

Hello All, I have recently completed an AirDog only pump installation and I have about 45 highway miles of an uneventful test drive under my belt. Everything seemed perfectly fine and I didn't notice any leaks when I got home. On my installation, I capped off the fuel inlet and outlet of the lift pump with 10 AN caps. I left the return lines as is. I mounted my AirDog pump in the bay where my fuel tank is and I am pushing fuel to my factory 2 filter set up. Pretty straightforward. The AirDog pump was preset at 15 psi and that is what the running pressure actually is as I installed a gauge. Today, I started the engine to reach full air pressure as I wanted to chase an air leak. Once it reached full air, I turned off the engine and got underneath with a bottle of soapy water. While under the engine area with a flashlight, I noticed fuel leaking ever so slightly out of the bottom of the lift pump. What? How could that be when I have it capped off? No banjo lines are leaking on the lift pump and neither is the return line from lift pump to tank. Is it possible the manifold is bad and leaking into the diaphragm area of the lift pump? Or, is it just fuel left over in the lift pump possibly leaking out. I am now trying to understand if there is a way to bypass the complete lift pump manifold with the 2 banjo hoses mounted to it? FYI, I only did this mod as preventive maintenance, not because I had a leak or running issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

does the filter on the engine have a water drain valve ? if so they are really bad about leaking ever so little ,I put a new one on mine and it started leaking also in about a month ,so i put a hose on it and stuck a bolt in the end of it with a hose clamp ! no more leak!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
does the filter on the engine have a water drain valve ? if so they are really bad about leaking ever so little ,I put a new one on mine and it started leaking also in about a month ,so i put a hose on it and stuck a bolt in the end of it with a hose clamp ! no more leak!
Filter isn't leaking. Drip is from Lift Pump. Thx.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed an Air Dog in almost exactly the same way you did, complete with the 10AN caps. My guess is that it's residual fuel left in the pump leaking out.

I tightened the three bolts on my pump before I capped it off. Haven't seen any leaks after the air dog install, but it was weeping a little beforehand. I carefully cleaned up as much of the leaked fuel and grime as I could. I just checked, no apparent new leakage after a 500 mile trip.

If the pump return manifold is leaking on mine, I'll make a return manifold on my mill to accept the banjo lines, but I really hope it doesn't get to that point.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I installed an Air Dog in almost exactly the same way you did, complete with the 10AN caps. My guess is that it's residual fuel left in the pump leaking out.

I tightened the three bolts on my pump before I capped it off. Haven't seen any leaks after the air dog install, but it was weeping a little beforehand. I carefully cleaned up as much of the leaked fuel and grime as I could. I just checked, no apparent new leakage after a 500 mile trip.

If the pump return manifold is leaking on mine, I'll make a return manifold on my mill to accept the banjo lines, but I really hope it doesn't get to that point.
I like the mill idea. I'm trying to find a double banjo to 10AN female connector to potentially bypass manifold, but not having any luck. I'll try and tighten the lift pump as you mentioned. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think my return to the tank is size -8. I'm going to replace all of the fuel hoses in the near future. I already bought the hose and it was -10 for the supply and -8 for the return.

By the time I get around to doing that, any leaks should be obvious.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I think my return to the tank is size -8. I'm going to replace all of the fuel hoses in the near future. I already bought the hose and it was -10 for the supply and -8 for the return.

By the time I get around to doing that, any leaks should be obvious.
So how exactly would you completely bypass the manifold?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't bypass it as much as make a new part out of a piece of steel barstock that did the same job as the manifold on top of the stock lift pump, without the pump part, take the factory lift pump off, and add the relay to fool the ECU.

I didn't notice any difference with the Air Dog as far as performance goes, and the Road Relay showed the same HP this trip as the last several. I did notice, and my wife did as well that the smell of diesel in the back of the coach has gone away.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #9

Rubber gasket that shrinks after change to ULSD fuel has probably really shrunk now that it's drying out.
I have even pulled some new old stock paper gaskets off the shelf in plant that shrunk with age and became brittle.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Rubber gasket that shrinks after change to ULSD fuel has probably really shrunk now that it's drying out.
I have even pulled some new old stock paper gaskets off the shelf in plant that shrunk with age and became brittle.
Fuel inlet and outlet are capped. Why would gasket matter at that point?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Hello All, I have recently completed an AirDog only pump installation and I have about 45 highway miles of an uneventful test drive under my belt. Everything seemed perfectly fine and I didn't notice any leaks when I got home. On my installation, I capped off the fuel inlet and outlet of the lift pump with 10 AN caps. I left the return lines as is. I mounted my AirDog pump in the bay where my fuel tank is and I am pushing fuel to my factory 2 filter set up. Pretty straightforward. The AirDog pump was preset at 15 psi and that is what the running pressure actually is as I installed a gauge. Today, I started the engine to reach full air pressure as I wanted to chase an air leak. Once it reached full air, I turned off the engine and got underneath with a bottle of soapy water. While under the engine area with a flashlight, I noticed fuel leaking ever so slightly out of the bottom of the lift pump. What? How could that be when I have it capped off? No banjo lines are leaking on the lift pump and neither is the return line from lift pump to tank. Is it possible the manifold is bad and leaking into the diaphragm area of the lift pump? Or, is it just fuel left over in the lift pump possibly leaking out. I am now trying to understand if there is a way to bypass the complete lift pump manifold with the 2 banjo hoses mounted to it? FYI, I only did this mod as preventive maintenance, not because I had a leak or running issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I don’t think there is any way for the return passage in the fuel manifold to leak into the passage exposed to the lift pump. I tried to find some photo or cutaway view but could not. My understanding is the manifold is a solid piece with separate passages cast/drilled into it. There is no seam or gasket between the passage supplied by the banjo fittings and the passage supplied by the fuel inlet/outlet lines.

My guess would be residual fuel, possibly seeping through the lift pump motor seal itself. It’s happened before on an unmodified lift pump.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I don’t think there is any way for the return passage in the fuel manifold to leak into the passage exposed to the lift pump. I tried to find some photo or cutaway view but could not. My understanding is the manifold is a solid piece with separate passages cast/drilled into it. There is no seam or gasket between the passage supplied by the banjo fittings and the passage supplied by the fuel inlet/outlet lines.

My guess would be residual fuel, possibly seeping through the lift pump motor seal itself. It’s happened before on an unmodified lift pump.
My guess as well. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #13
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

I agree with Ljwt330. Could it be motor oil leaking from somewhere? When my valve cover and engine brake spacer were leaking, oil would run down near the lift pump.

Bill
Old 02-20-2021, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
I agree with Ljwt330. Could it be motor oil leaking from somewhere? When my valve cover and engine brake spacer were leaking, oil would run down near the lift pump.

Bill
No, luckily I don't have any oil leaking. It was diesel fuel. I am hoping someone has a exploded view of a lift pump to confirm the return side doesn't intersect the fuel side. You think I should remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump part of the lift pump to the body and remove the pump and fire up my engine to see if any fuel leaks out? That would solve my mystery.

Tags
leak, pump