Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #43

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have not replaced the sensor. I have removed the 4 wire connector and cleaned the terminals and used dielectric grease on the connector.

Do you happen to have a part number for the sensor?
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #44
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I have not replaced the sensor. I have removed the 4 wire connector and cleaned the terminals and used dielectric grease on the connector.

Do you happen to have a part number for the sensor?
This is the number for mine 0200-GG3-002 through RVChassisParts.com I honestly can't remember if mine is a 2 or a 4 wire sensor. An Onan part is exactly the same as mine.....the Onan # is 193-0481. You can find them a lot of places so you need to shop around. I think I paid around $50
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #45
KIX

DepChief.............check exhaust manifolds for leaks......typical sign is sooting around exhaust to manifold connection.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #46

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Coach is presently at Cummins Atlantic in Loris, (Myrtle Beach area) SC. They have received numerous codes from the Injector Pump. This is strange to me as the pump was installed in March, 2014 and has a little more than 5K on it.
Waiting for more information tomorrow.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
KIX

INterested to know what they determine
Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #48

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
After more than 24 hours of diagnostic work Cummins Atlantic has determined that my engine issues are fuel related. The lift pump is putting out something like 2 PSI and should be 20. They also have replaced the ambient air sensor, and the electric cable to the heating element in the fuel filter housing.
They say after test drives the dash light is off and the transmission shifting is normal.
The service adviser tells me they have been plagued with engines having fuel issues and told me I should increase my usage of fuel treatment
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #49
KIX

Quote:
After more than 24 hours of diagnostic work Cummins Atlantic has determined that my engine issues are fuel related. The lift pump is putting out something like 2 PSI and should be 20. They also have replaced the ambient air sensor, and the electric cable to the heating element in the fuel filter housing.
They say after test drives the dash light is off and the transmission shifting is normal.
The service adviser tells me they have been plagued with engines having fuel issues and told me I should increase my usage of fuel treatment
Thansk for the update. Did they replace the lift pump too? And, was there any elaboration about why "now" fuel related issues are surfacing in their area? Water in fuel? Algae? Refinery issues? Or is it widespread?
At least you're getting somewhere.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #50

Any specific fuel treatment recommended? (There are several ...)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #51

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
They did not specify any particular brand. I have used the Diesel treatment from Walmart. I told them that I used that one and they say stay with it.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #52

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
KIX
When I think back over the issues I always said I thought it was temperature related. On a cool day the light was delayed. Warmer days it would come on relatively quick. On a drive in Georgia on route 26 the light was on and we got into a rain storm. The light went out. After clearing the rain, the light came on after running on dry roads.
I think the ambient air sensor would act accordingly.Replacing should clear the issue, I sure hope so.
Will reportmore as I drive the coach.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #53

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have returned from an 1800 mile trip and the coach performed flawlessly. No dash light, no goofy shifting. We were in the mountains of WVA and had no issues climbing the grades.
I never realized that the coach had a loss of power. Before I got it Cummins had replaced the injector unit and I assumed it was running OK. With the lift pump replaced and the proper PSI being delivered it had more power and actually gave us an increase of MPG.
I am now very happy with the performance
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #54
KIX

Quote:
We have returned from an 1800 mile trip and the coach performed flawlessly. No dash light, no goofy shifting. We were in the mountains of WVA and had no issues climbing the grades.
I never realized that the coach had a loss of power. Before I got it Cummins had replaced the injector unit and I assumed it was running OK. With the lift pump replaced and the proper PSI being delivered it had more power and actually gave us an increase of MPG.
I am now very happy with the performance
Glad to hear that you've apparently got your MIL fixed. Ours is back on. We just got back from about 5000 mile round trip over the last few months. About 1800 miles from home on the way back the MIL came on. The Silverleaf code indicates that the issue is the crankshaft or the cam sensor. They are replaced as a pair. The part is about $60 but the labor will be about 4 - 6 hours so I'm told. Cummins says the air compressor has to be R & R to access the sensors. Sounds like a great design.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Glad to hear that you've apparently got your MIL fixed. Ours is back on. We just got back from about 5000 mile round trip over the last few months. About 1800 miles from home on the way back the MIL came on. The Silverleaf code indicates that the issue is the crankshaft or the cam sensor. They are replaced as a pair. The part is about $60 but the labor will be about 4 - 6 hours so I'm told. Cummins says the air compressor has to be R & R to access the sensors. Sounds like a great design.

I had the same issue and same quote. I bought the sensors and just replaced the ESS, it's the one you can see from underneath without a mirror. I used a long extension on my ratchet, a long screwdriver, a wooden dowel and one of those flexible 4 finger grab-em tools. Took about 90 minutes. No more MIL or chugging. Have put on 3800 miles since.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #56
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I had the same issue and same quote. I bought the sensors and just replaced the ESS, it's the one you can see from underneath without a mirror. I used a long extension on my ratchet, a long screwdriver, a wooden dowel and one of those flexible 4 finger grab-em tools. Took about 90 minutes. No more MIL or chugging. Have put on 3800 miles since.
Thanks for info. What's ESS?