Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

ISL 400 FILTERS Where is the best pricing online?

ISL 400 FILTERS Where is the best pricing online?

Oil Filter: Fleetguard LF 9009
Oil Capacity: 26qts w/filter 15W-40
Radiator Coolant: 50-55qts.
Fuel Filter Primary: Fleetguard FS1003
Fuel Filter Secondary: Fleetguard FF5488
Alternator Belt: Cummins 3911581/3289235
A/C Belt: Dayco 17475

Getting ready to Think about Oil and Filters if I can't find a local shop that reasonable, I'll need to do my self - where are we getting filters these days at the Best Price?

Used to be Filter Barn...........

Just looking to get a recommendation or two.

TIA,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

If you enter the part number into Google, you'll get just about every price available for that filter.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

I got my CAT fuel filters on Amazon. The prices were fair considering it included shipping and got them in 2 days.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

Some food for thought,

Most of us are price conscious and like to find the Best Deal.
But, when buying items such as filters online, which do have a shelf life, how do you know your getting new product and not something the seller bought a carload of at a good price and is now flogging them online?
Personally, I have been buying my OEM Fleetgard filters from a local truck shop for years at a price that is very competitive to anything I could find online. I set up a Cash Account which gives me a nominal discount and brings the price competative to online, no shipping charges and I can pick them up as needed.
I support a local business, and, I can check the date codes before I throw down my cash.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Trying to save money on cheap filters sold by unknown on line merchants is definitely the wrong place to save!

Buy the absolute best filters you can find from merchants you know and trust. It’s very cheap insurance.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

I'm fairly certain that Amazon will have the best prices or close to as far as buying online. Pertaining to "freshness" be sure when buying from a third party on Amazon to buy items that say "fullfilled by Amazon" if not buying from Amazon directly. That way, you know that it is something that Amazon is keeping in their inventory at one of their fulfillment centers and NOT stored and shipped by the third party retailer.

For instance, take a look at this Amazon page for the Fleetguard LF9009. See how it says "Sold by doxa-worldwide and Fulfilled by Amazon" ...? This means that it will be shipped by Amazon from one of their fulfillment centers and typically indicates that the turnover will be fairly consistent. Amazon fulfillment centers usually will not agree to keep very slow moving merchandise taking up their valuable space.

As an example of a third party shipping the same product, tap/click on the "Pack of 3 - $105.00" and notice how the "details" change to "Ships from and sold by CROSSFILTERS." This doesn't necessarily mean that Crossfilters sells stale merchandise but I tend to shy away from buying things on Amazon when it isn't shipped BY Amazon. I have, however, ordered and purchased third-party merchandise that was shipped directly by them without any problems.

Also notice, buying three from CROSSFILTERS is more expensive than ordering 3 separately from doxa-worldwide that is fulfilled by Amazon. Again, typically those third-party items that are "fulfilled by Amazon" will usually have better prices than when the third party ships them on their own.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've used filterbarn.com and Amazon and even Ebay. As someone suggested, Google the filter you need and see what pricing pops up. I buy premium brand name filters like Fleetguard, Wix, Donaldson, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Sorry but this shelf life issue makes me smile...about like having to change your oil every 3K miles and oil goes bad...has a shelf life too. Most crude is a billion years old and I’ve used Rotella T that was 10 years old. Having heavy equipment teaches you a lot...oil samples can double and triple your change times and I’ve used the same two air filters for over 20 years in a dozer... knocking the dirt out against a tire every day and switching each week so you can blow/clean it better with air at the shop. Yep, I change my MH air filter when the minder is almost in the red and if I could clean it with air backwards I would...but they build them so you cannot.

I buy my filters on EBay and if a good enough deal on a name brand...a couple extra and I’ve learned to write what it goes on for use years later. Only been buying extra items for 40 years like four 55 gallon barrels of Rotella oil at a time...$300 each or half today’s price.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Some food for thought,

Most of us are price conscious and like to find the Best Deal.
But, when buying items such as filters online, which do have a shelf life, how do you know your getting new product and not something the seller bought a carload of at a good price and is now flogging them online?
Personally, I have been buying my OEM Fleetgard filters from a local truck shop for years at a price that is very competitive to anything I could find online. I set up a Cash Account which gives me a nominal discount and brings the price competative to online, no shipping charges and I can pick them up as needed.
I support a local business, and, I can check the date codes before I throw down my cash.
A year ago I would have never believed this. I wanted to replace my starter on our 2004 Camelot and went to a big truck shop. The parts person said if I opened an account I could receive a discount and the account would cost me nothing. No brainer there. I was stunned at the cost. Everything including filters (OEM Fleetguard) was at least 20% cheaper than any online parts place including Amazon. I needed two chassis batteries and bought them there. 950 CCA Exide batteries.....76 bucks each. Might wanna give your local place a try.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Sorry but this shelf life issue makes me smile...about like having to change your oil every 3K miles and oil goes bad...has a shelf life too. Most crude is a billion years old and I’ve used Rotella T that was 10 years old. Having heavy equipment teaches you a lot...oil samples can double and triple your change times and I’ve used the same two air filters for over 20 years in a dozer... knocking the dirt out against a tire every day and switching each week so you can blow/clean it better with air at the shop. Yep, I change my MH air filter when the minder is almost in the red and if I could clean it with air backwards I would...but they build them so you cannot.

I buy my filters on EBay and if a good enough deal on a name brand...a couple extra and I’ve learned to write what it goes on for use years later. Only been buying extra items for 40 years like four 55 gallon barrels of Rotella oil at a time...$300 each or half today’s price.
Dick,

Always smile with the answers received - Simple question - Is there a "New" source for online filters at a Great Price?

Shelf Life.............

In the 30 years I was in business we never had an oil related engine failure, and I have no Idea how old some of the filters we used were

Check the oil (Every day before you start the engine) - watch the Gauges - listen to the engine - take care of it and it will take care of you

Tires and the seven year rule, we had a couple of old Macks that we used for on site work with original 25 year old tires - Loaded them to 80,000 and never blew, might go flat with rebar in them but.......

So ....Thanks to all who answered the Question......and as usual I'll try to learn from all the Expert Advice Given .

Filter Barn - Amazon and Ebay are all still the go to's

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Recently I have noticed on EBay when searching for an item the first ones to show up seem to have the best price as xx people have bought it form that seller. After clicking on that item/seller and towards the end of the information there will be more of the same items...usually for a much cheaper price and often not even in the first 25 of your original search. KEEP SEARCHING

Also by using Google to search for items on EBay it will find things that using the exact wording for the item will not show up in a EBay search. That said, I’ve had good luck cross referencing a part # for a item that locally no one can cross as someone will list all the #s that match what they are selling.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote