Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

ISL 400 oil pan torque spec

I did some searching around on the forum and could not find this specifically. On Quickserve, it shows the oil pan torque spec at 59 ft-lbs for my steel pan ISL 400. Doesn't this seem high?? I torqued on a couple of bolts and they turned some, but never did get to 59 ft-lbs. And don't want to break any off or strip them. I have a good torque wrench (Capri industrial) and checked my settings carefully. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, that spec is for the drain plug! I see no spec for the oil pan bolts. Suggestions?

Mike
MikeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #2

Update

I went with 18-20 ft-lbs. Gave it the ole "how ya doing" with a ratchet. Why they don't publish that torque value on Quickserve is beyond me.
MikeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

You might look at boltdepot.com for standard bolt torque values.
04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

I've never put a torque wrench on an oil pan drain bolt and I've changed oil on everything from a VW Bug to 500+ HP over the road trucks (including all manner of farm tractors and combines). I just snug it up with a ratchet size handle and after I check the filters for leaks I do an eyeball check on the bolt. If I find a seep I know there's probably a bit of dirt under the washer and it's time for a new one. Probably happened 2-3 times in hundreds of oil changes.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGee View Post
I went with 18-20 ft-lbs. Gave it the ole "how ya doing" with a ratchet. Why they don't publish that torque value on Quickserve is beyond me.
Should be able to look it up by bolt size and material.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote