Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Smart mover, replace the dryer
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
For those that think the governor will be so easy to replace I am adding a few pictures I just took.

First on left is bottom of compressor -- notice that large hose across it
Next on right is where that hose leads back to --- Hydraulic pump.
That pump supported to engine but driven from end of air compressor
Third is distance between hydraulic pump and end of starter.

I believe I can faintly see the governor somewhere above hydraulic pump
Therefore to get at the governor, at the very least, it would mean removing the hydraulic pump and getting into the tight space above it.

From above you just see the fuel system of course, and there is NO access from the frame rails side at all

I am therefore hoping it is the dryer which could arrive later today

thx Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor -- bottom.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	293082   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic pump .jpg
Views:	42
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	293083  

Click image for larger version

Name:	between hyd pump and starter.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	293084  
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #31

What a shame. Too bad coach builders don't give 2 craps about engine/driveline maintenance.
When I was a dealership technician, if a coach was to drive up, we'd all get real busy....and people wonder why, ha-ha

Is it a rear radiator? Buy chance can you see the air compressor, the governor might be mounted on either the side or top of compressor.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #32

it is a SIDE radiator Allegro Bus - Model 40QSP -- 400 ISL HWH Hydraulic levelers, 7500 Onan, Freightliner Chassis but with Independent Front Suspension (ZF german), front disc brakes, standard Allison 3000.

(rear radiators are not on my "desirable" list)

They did some things well --- both fuel filters are right at rear door --- easy to get at --- some other things NOT so good.

Suspension seems wierd to have ONE ride height controller on front with independent suspension and TWO ride height controllers on the back with a solid axle ??????????? (my Eagle on the Spartan is just the opposite of course)

I would put ride equal to the Eagle on smooth or average roads, probably one small step down on rough roads, but not at all bad.--- steering is excellent (easily one hand type) with ZERO freeplay, less effect of sidewinds and trucks passing than Eagle. Braking is superb. I think acceleration is slightly slower than Eagle but I was having fuel issues at low RPM. Gas mileage seems to suck on ISL compared to ISC, but as mentioned I was having some issues and had to keep RPM high and speed up. I stayed before Diesel Particulate Filters (07 emissions) so no purging and no replacement of a $2000 filter.

I have about 900 miles seat time so far.

My seat of the pants evaluation of suspensions, some with only limited test drives/

ALL 2007-2008 vintage, worse to best

Solid Axle freightliner
Liberty - Spartan Solid Axle
Roadmaster 88RS (still a solid front axle)
Freightliner IFS
Startan IFS

YES --- I AM TEMPORARILY HIGHJACKING MY OWN THREAD -- that is life.
I will get back to dryer when it arrives

talk soon --- Dale
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
it is a SIDE radiator Allegro Bus - Model 40QSP -- 400 ISL HWH Hydraulic levelers, 7500 Onan, Freightliner Chassis but with Independent Front Suspension (ZF german), front disc brakes, standard Allison 3000.

(rear radiators are not on my "desirable" list)

They did some things well --- both fuel filters are right at rear door --- easy to get at --- some other things NOT so good.

Suspension seems wierd to have ONE ride height controller on front with independent suspension and TWO ride height controllers on the back with a solid axle ??????????? (my Eagle on the Spartan is just the opposite of course)

I would put ride equal to the Eagle on smooth or average roads, probably one small step down on rough roads, but not at all bad.--- steering is excellent (easily one hand type) with ZERO freeplay, less effect of sidewinds and trucks passing than Eagle. Braking is superb. I think acceleration is slightly slower than Eagle but I was having fuel issues at low RPM. Gas mileage seems to suck on ISL compared to ISC, but as mentioned I was having some issues and had to keep RPM high and speed up. I stayed before Diesel Particulate Filters (07 emissions) so no purging and no replacement of a $2000 filter.

I have about 900 miles seat time so far.

My seat of the pants evaluation of suspensions, some with only limited test drives/

ALL 2007-2008 vintage, worse to best

Solid Axle freightliner
Liberty - Spartan Solid Axle
Roadmaster 88RS (still a solid front axle)
Freightliner IFS
Startan IFS

YES --- I AM TEMPORARILY HIGHJACKING MY OWN THREAD -- that is life.
I will get back to dryer when it arrives

talk soon --- Dale
my IFS has 1 height control on front and 2 in back.

FYI I see no governor in that pic. If its not on compressor its remote mounted. Follow small lines back from dryer to find. My rig is rear rad ISL and governor is mounted on compressor 1/2 hidden by frame rail. If I ever replace I will remote mount.

If I were you I would do the same.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #34

Wild Card --- what RV do you have that you are talking about?
Old 07-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Wild Card --- what RV do you have that you are talking about?
2009 Itasca Horizon Freight Shaker XCL chassis
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #36

Just my 2 cents. Driven rigs for over 45 years and had the same thing happen to me on the road. Turned out to be the dryer going bad allowing oil and sediment from the dryer to flow downstream the dryer to a One Way Air Valve before tank plugging it and not allowing but very minimal air to pass. That was a Very Expensive check valve repair

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #37

Well the new Haldex dryer is installed and I am pleased to report all is working well. Got home with the dryer at about 2:30 and by 3:30 I was ready to fire it up, check that it was working in the driveway, then go for a test drive. I think transfering a few fittings from old to new dryer took as long as the installation,

Dryer purges at about 135 and comes back on at about 95-105
it takes only about a minute and a half to go from the alarm (70PSI) to purge.

I am very happy that it was not the (hiddden within the bowels of the beast) governor.

I do have a small leak at the front ride height controller that I will have to eventually fix --- but that is very minor compared to not being able to move the RV as it wouldn't build up enough pressure to overcome the spring brakes.

Very pleased.

Once again thanks for the guidance and direction as I was ruminating a course of action.

thanks again --- Dale
Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Happy it worked out fairly easily it appears.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
See if you can seat the purge valve with a screwdriver. The rebuild kit is somewhat inexpensive, and easy to do.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #40

Spartan Chassis
DALE 70,
YOUR GOVERNOR,
Is most likely the problem and they are cheap about $20 or $30 bucks. bolts onto the Air-compressor and any Semi Truck dealer parts department will have them. Look for the model of your Air compressor or take your old one off to get one same bolt pattern with AIR PORTS AND LINE PORTS SAME SIDES. Most likely a Bendix Westing House Compressor & Governor. The Governor has an internal leak which is opening up the compressor Valves to soon which won't allow the Compressor to build Air to proper pressure. I assume you have been draining your Air Tanks to get rid of Water which happens to build up at nights from cool down causing water condensation to happen and does so on all Air Tanks on all Air systems. The Air dryer works for the wet Tank or first Tank Air is pumped into from the Air compressor but does not work on the other 2 or 4 tanks depending on Air Bag suspension or spring suspension. Those other Tanks if optioned will have water spitters on them to get rid of water but should also have drain valves my Travel Supreme has cables to pull and drain air. WHEN YOU DRAIN YOU CAN TELL BY SOUND HOW MUCH MOISTURE YOU HAVE IN THE TANK. Most often No Air [FAULTY GOVERNOR] I carry a spare governor with me always learned in my early Trucking years.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBattani View Post
See if you can seat the purge valve with a screwdriver. The rebuild kit is somewhat inexpensive, and easy to do.
He fixed it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORD CURRIE View Post
DALE 70,
YOUR GOVERNOR,
Is most likely the problem and they are cheap about $20 or $30 bucks. bolts onto the Air-compressor and any Semi Truck dealer parts department will have them. Look for the model of your Air compressor or take your old one off to get one same bolt pattern with AIR PORTS AND LINE PORTS SAME SIDES. Most likely a Bendix Westing House Compressor & Governor. The Governor has an internal leak which is opening up the compressor Valves to soon which won't allow the Compressor to build Air to proper pressure. I assume you have been draining your Air Tanks to get rid of Water which happens to build up at nights from cool down causing water condensation to happen and does so on all Air Tanks on all Air systems. The Air dryer works for the wet Tank or first Tank Air is pumped into from the Air compressor but does not work on the other 2 or 4 tanks depending on Air Bag suspension or spring suspension. Those other Tanks if optioned will have water spitters on them to get rid of water but should also have drain valves my Travel Supreme has cables to pull and drain air. WHEN YOU DRAIN YOU CAN TELL BY SOUND HOW MUCH MOISTURE YOU HAVE IN THE TANK. Most often No Air [FAULTY GOVERNOR] I carry a spare governor with me always learned in my early Trucking years.
It was the dryer purge valve, fixed.

Read some of the posts past the first one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, gauges