Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
thanks twinboat --- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #44

Arrow No air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
I have a 2007 Tiffin with a ISL 400 Cummins.
Along with a ride height problem I am now only getting about 27PSI at the tank gauges. suspension not airing up of course. Not even enough air to operate the Parking brake release.

On the ISL ---there is the air compressor driven on engine, with governor on top
Air goes to Dryer then to tanks

At the dryer there are primarily three air lines.
INLET from governor
Outlet to tanks
Governor sensing line.

What would be best method to determnine if problem is at air Compressor/Governor or at dryer?

Release air at sensing line ??? and see what happens???

thx Dale
First thing I would do is pick up a governor. In all my years around my big trucks i always found it to be the governor,cheap easy fix and dosent hurt to have a spare.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have/had the same chassis and the same issue. Once you disconnect the sensing line (1/8 in on the bottom side of the dryer) the governor would turn the compressor back on. After a couple of times it started working again. My next action will be to look at replacing the governor. Keep us updated if you find something else.
KP
kparsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparsley View Post
I have/had the same chassis and the same issue. Once you disconnect the sensing line (1/8 in on the bottom side of the dryer) the governor would turn the compressor back on. After a couple of times it started working again. My next action will be to look at replacing the governor. Keep us updated if you find something else.
KP
Keep you updated !!

Its was the air dryer purge valve and was fixed a week ago.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry!

My Apologies! I got all excited that someone had the same problem and due to my inexperience posting, I did not read to the bottom of the thread. I definitely have a governor issue but like the original post stated it is going to be a real chore to replace. It took a substantial effort to replace the main line to the dryer (gov is mounted to compressor). It definitely likes to be exercised.
KP
Old 07-21-2020, 12:31 AM   #48

27 psi only

It sounds like your air dryer purge valve is sticking open. Have you removed the air dryer canister yet. Remove and check for dirt and oil. I would replace the canister you can get from NAPA. Also you can get rebuild parts for air dryers.
The 1/8 inch air line is coming from the governor attached to the side of the air compressor. Once the air compressor reaches 130 psi the governor sends a signal to the air compressor unloaded which unloads at the same time it sends a signal to the air dryer which opens the purge valve which purges moisture. I would also check the governor and replace they cost about $30 from a big truck parts store.
Dswiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #49

In reality, it sounds like a lot of people don't read past the OP 1st post.... ha-ha
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #50

amazing --- I know I don't read all posts when the thread is 20-30 pages --- but geeeshh --- this one is short enough people should read before posting.

I know if you never post the results and just disappear that threads seem to go on forever ---

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #51

FWIW on chasing air leaks

When I look for an air leak...I air up the system from an outside source. I make a short hose with a male air hose fitting on each end. With no noise, it makes it easier for me. Might help you, might not. Hope it does. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #52

It's the Frammistat, again...or, the Stratoshaft...maybe the Blinker Fluid?

It's truly amazing how many people jump in with suggestions without reading the thread, when the solution was posted quite some time ago...

Obviously, the problem is with the Stratoshaft, though. ;-)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #53

....my gut says it's the thermo-sal-slipper switch
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #54

n2zon

Please accept my sincerest appology for all the trouble and grief I caused You and others. I will do my best to never jam up Your forum again. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Please accept my sincerest appology for all the trouble and grief I caused You and others. I will do my best to never jam up Your forum again. MOMCAT
This was not directed at you in particular, and I did not mean to offend you. There were five or six suggestions posted after the OP said it was fixed. Some threads have gone on a lot longer than that after the OP said a problem was solved.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, gauges