Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
ISL tuner: STEINBAUER

Has anyone used a Steinbauer tuner?
I have a 2002 ISL (370 HP) and it seems options for increasing this CAPS engine are slim.

Steinbauer advertises 20% increases and shows data from an ISL 400 that is actually closer to a 25% increase.
It is an Austrian company
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just make sure your tranny will take the extra torque.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The way I understand it, the max torque doesn't change substantially.

Supposedly, it keeps the torque up (flattens it out a bit) up into the RPM range instead of dropping off like the stock ISL curve.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #4

Run a search for this and read the results. I just read about 5 websites, they all-including mfgrs. website, say it works by extending injection timing width = uses more fuel. This causes the combustion chamber to run hotter; there are many negative ramifications from hotter combustion chamber temperatures.
Do your homework before spending over $2,000 and possibility melting your exhaust valves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Run a search for this and read the results. I just read about 5 websites, they all-including mfgrs. website, say it works by extending injection timing width = uses more fuel. This causes the combustion chamber to run hotter; there are many negative ramifications from hotter combustion chamber temperatures.
Do your homework before spending over $2,000 and possibility melting your exhaust valves.

I have read quite a bit, but there is still a lot more to go.
One curious thing is the claim by most tuning systems, that actual fuel economy will improve (supposedly improved combustion efficiency) with their tuner. I have always assumed that for this (improved combustion efficiency) to happen, the air flow must increase, leaning out the mixture in the chamber, thereby lowering the overall combustion temperature (and EGT's).

I have looked at HDT CAPS system, AG-Diesel (Brazels represents them), and Steinbauer.

There are many more options for the 2007+ ISL engines, but for us CAPS owners, it seems there are just a few.

There is a significant amount out there on AG-Diesel and even on HDT, but very little on Steinbauer.
Hence the question about the Steinbauer tuner.

I am guessing by responses so far that no one here has experience with (or maybe never heard of?) Steinbauer.

<div>
Old 12-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #6

Yes to Agricultural Diesel for CAPS era ISC/ISL's... This was the one I would have tried if we had kept our Allure with the ISL370(400 programmed by Cummins).

Do not have any info on the one you asked about...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #7

For peace of mind, would install a pyrometer with any performance upgrade.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
For peace of mind, would install a pyrometer with any performance upgrade.
Pyro mouted pre-turbo; exhaust valves begin to soften at 1,380°F
ref: http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/a...nvironment.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Pyro mouted pre-turbo; exhaust valves begin to soften at 1,380°F
ref: http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/a...nvironment.pdf
For sure, many people who drive with their foot to the floor at low rpm going up a grade, would be surprised how fast and how high the temps can go.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a pyro and also a boost gauge in my plans.

Here's my proposed layout:

All gauges are in the stock location except the newly to be added pyro and boost gauges on the right
Old 01-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I have decided that the ag-diesel is my best choice.

I do like the Steinbauer, but the cost (a LOT more than the ag-diesel) and the fact that it is relatively unheard of in the US has swayed me toward the ag-diesel.

I would like to install it myself, but hopefully will find a dyno in central California that can do a before and after comparison.

QUESTION:
Will my silverleaf still work (accurately) with the ag-diesel unit?