Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

ISX Cummins Failure

2006 ISX 15 liter Cummins

We had a number 6 intake valve failure at 32000 miles.

Has anyone with this failure removed the egr valve to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for your advice. This is my first posting here. I’ve enjoyed reading the forum for quite some time now.
Joe e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

Mr. D has some insight on this. He's had troubles with his, but I believe it is fixed now.

Search the Cummins engine area, there are other posts talking about the ISX
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
X-2, main discussion here.....
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cummins-isx-broken-valve-in-6-a-401436.html

Cummins ISX broken valve in #6
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. I’ll go look at the Cummins section.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe e View Post
2006 ISX 15 liter Cummins

We had a number 6 intake valve failure at 32000 miles.

Has anyone with this failure removed the egr valve to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for your advice. This is my first posting here. I’ve enjoyed reading the forum for quite some time now.

How long have you owned it? Were you far from home when it happened?
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The 2006 EGR engine is a different animal than the 2007 DPF engine in many ways. A lot of the 2007 & later information will not apply to your 2006 engine.

The information I have recommends putting a blocking plate on the EGR valve instead of removing it. It has to be a stainless plate of substantial construction to avoid failure. I think you can get one at Price's Diesel. They know a LOT about that subject. Home - pricesdieselrepair
Old 12-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You are only the second 2006 ISX #6 failure I've read about. What HP was it?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies.

I'm thinking that I probably have an '05 engine in an '06 coach. It is just an egr engine. It's rated at 525 hp.

My suspicion is that the exhaust gasses are corroding the valve stem and causing it to stick and I'm concerned that it could happen again.

I'm going to call Price's to get their feelings on what the benefit might be of blocking the egr.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
OP, I would post your failure here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...401436-32.html Not the HP I was hoping for...525 the same as mine. The more info you post the better. Sounds like you may have already had it fixed? If not you need to read about the “new and improved” parts.
I was able to get a camera to the #6 intake on my 06 525 ISX. It didn’t look any different than 4 or 5. I installed the “Ugly Fix” at 43K shortly after buying it in early 2018. At 48K I put a metal freeze plug in the EGR tube where it bolts to the intake manifold. The tube gets smaller as it turns into the intake so it cannot move from this location. I now have 56K and cannot tell any difference in engine operation, but I cannot monitor the exhaust gas temperature.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I installed the “Ugly Fix” at 43K shortly after buying it in early 2018. At 48K I put a metal freeze plug in the EGR tube where it bolts to the intake manifold. The tube gets smaller as it turns into the intake so it cannot move from this location. I now have 56K and cannot tell any difference in engine operation, but I cannot monitor the exhaust gas temperature.
I assume you did not put the plug in the EGR bellows because the EGR valve stays closed with the Ugly Fix? The reason I ask is I use Insite and can see the position of the EGR valve. When I installed the Ugly Fix, I could see it was still opening. I called the Ugly Fix folks. They had me test the module which tested fine. They told me that when the engine is started, the EGR valve cycles open and closed. If the EGR valve does not complete the cycle 100% each way the ugly fix does not do anything, the engine acts as if it was not in place. In my case I can see in normal operation the EGR valve cycles each way 100% open and closed, yet the Ugly Fix is not doing anything. If I did not have Insite there is no way I would know what is happening and I would be whistling down the highway happily and ignorant!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #11

An aside to this topic is; Cummins discontinued the ISX 650 HP, RV version, due to unreliability. paragraph 3 of https://www.capitalremanexchange.com...s-isx-history/

A man posting on the FMCA forums is attempting to compile a list of people with ISX failures, I suspect with a class-action suit in mind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
An aside to this topic is; Cummins discontinued the ISX 650 HP, RV version, due to unreliability. paragraph 3 of https://www.capitalremanexchange.com...s-isx-history/

A man posting on the FMCA forums is attempting to compile a list of people with ISX failures, I suspect with a class-action suit in mind.
Interesting article but I see several wrong items.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I assume you did not put the plug in the EGR bellows because the EGR valve stays closed with the Ugly Fix? The reason I ask is I use Insite and can see the position of the EGR valve. When I installed the Ugly Fix, I could see it wasby closing. I would be whistling down the highway happily and ignorant!
In trying to get a camera to the #6 intake valve the EGR elbow in the intake tube, was making it harder to snake the camera in. The elbow also appeared to restrict the airflow into the engine so I cut it off after trying to just remove it...couldn’t just remove it. At that point it was easy to put the metal freeze plug in were the EGR tube bolts to the intake tube. I suspect the Ugly Fix is nothing but a $150 resistor.

Tags
cummins