Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

ISX Problem

Cummins ISX 600 in a 2007 CC Affinity. First issue was a cloud of white smoke lasing about a minute when starting. This has happened once after sitting for two days but not since Second issue noted was that the coolant reservoir was down about 2 gallons. Never had to add any before. Third issue was lower than usual engine temperatures. Driving in the Texas heat yesterday at 65 MPH the engine temperature never got above 178. Would have expected 18X.

What would be the likely cause of these issues and how should it be diagnosed?

Would the EGR cooler be the most likely cause?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmaybe View Post
Cummins ISX 600 in a 2007 CC Affinity. First issue was a cloud of white smoke lasing about a minute when starting. This has happened once after sitting for two days but not since Second issue noted was that the coolant reservoir was down about 2 gallons. Never had to add any before. Third issue was lower than usual engine temperatures. Driving in the Texas heat yesterday at 65 MPH the engine temperature never got above 178. Would have expected 18X.

EGR cooler was my first thought as I read through your post. Loss of coolant can happen almost anywhere in the system, but white smoke in the exhaust, along with no external leaks, is limited to fewer possibilities, the EGR cooler being foremost. Could also be a head gasket, but the cooler would be my prime suspect.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmaybe View Post

Had similar experience last summer, only difference was running temps stayed normal.. Mine turned out to be EGR cooler
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Any engine codes?
Maybe start with running a cooling system pressure check.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

-Pull pipe off between egr cooler and intake look for wet/moist carbon

If not pressurized the coolant system and look for a drop, might take a few hours/overnight
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Is the engine a CM870 or CM871?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Is the engine a CM870 or CM871?
Old 07-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

Its an CM870, no DPF.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #9

I met the local service manager of a fleet dealership. He dislikes the ISX series of any configuration except the off-road engines. His reasoning was that Cummins routinely left customers hanging in the wind after catastrophic
engine failure (NO warranty allowed when he felt it should have been honored) and that failures with the ISX were routine.

Several trade magazines that I read in the past 7 years or so, none recently, stated that Cummins stopped making the ISX for motorhomes because the engine was:

A- Unprofitable due to a small market
B- Unreliable, much might have affected A.

I sincerely hope your issue is the EGR cooler and that nothing has been seriously affected in your engine.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It would be unreasonable to expect Cummins to warranty a 2006-2007 engine in 2021.

Cummins did not stop manufacturing the ISX engine. They revised the engine for efficiency and it is now designated the X15 for the on-road market.
The X15 RV version is now 605 horsepower and most owners love it.

Having said that, the CM871 ISX was rushed to market to meet the 2007 EPA requirements and was not properly engineered or tested.
The EPA also shares part of the blame for rushing the new mandates.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

2007 ISX CM870 Dirty Pre-DPF in a CC Magna.

We're researching the same kinds of coolant lost, but not as much of an amount as you are experiencing. And have detected no coolant odor or white smoke in the exhaust.

A few other tips to check:

-Radiator Cap (Ours was showing signs of rubber rot in the gasket, so replaced with a good quality 16lb radiator cap.

-Tied to the Radiator cap, is the hose overflow. Tape a plastic bottle to the end of the hose, and look to see if you are seeing any coolant build up in the bottle. (This, along with the mentioned above head gasket (And other.) leak, could be pressurizing your system.)

-Check for hose clamp leakage. (Crawled under out engine area with a strong light, telescoping mirror, and ours all seem to be dry.)

-Open your front generator slide out area, and look for sings of leakage from the OTR heater hose run.

-School Bus Pump (Which I could not get to when I crawled under, due to the chassis was too low. Will put the drive axles up on blocks to inspect the School Bus pump for leakage. And will bypass if it is.)

-Gary Obermire, Premier, also suggested I pul the Trans Dip out. Transyn should be clear, if you see signs of clouding, or two different coloration posts on the dip stick - could be coolant merging with the trans.

All that being said. I've made an appointment in late August for Cummins (Colburg), to help me look over the engine. I'm bracing myself for the above mentioned EGR leak... I will only be driving the coach about another 300 miles before then.

Please close the loop back when you find out the root cause, and I will too. And best of luck to us both!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Any updates or results from Cummins service calls. I have been tracking a slight coolant lose as well.

Pops
Popsf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsf15 View Post
Any updates or results from Cummins service calls. I have been tracking a slight coolant lose as well.

Pops
Here's a link to my ISX... Do not think I have a real problem! But, glad I paid the funds to have the more likely causes checked out... Hope your's is an easy one.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isx...ss-563051.html

I'll be adding the Expansion Tank in mid January.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #14

Had the EGR cooler replaced and am back on the road. The coolant level is stable and no smoke. Seems like the EGR cooler was the problem.

Tags
problem