Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #29

I wonder how far legal action would go with this. The huge number of trucks and buses with no problem would not look good compared to the low number of motor home chassis. It seems the real problem is folks don't drive enough.

Given todays abundance of cameras to look into tight places I would expect a good shop could tell what was going on. In my mind it would be worth the price to get it done with current parts as Cummins seems to have figured out at least part of the answer. There may not be an answer that complies with EPA requirements they also have to deal with.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To check for the chordal erosion requires at least a partial teardown since you can't see the top of the valves with a borescope.
As above, I am really considering doing a preemptive rebuild along with checking the bottom end bearings. I think I'm looking at $20-25,000 and being able to drive it in rather than $35,000 and towing with the interruption of a trip.

Even so I have no way of knowing if the fixes are a permanent solution and it could do it yet again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Mr. D, have you looked into this?

https://www.m18performance.com/produ...cm870-stg1.htm

Sounds like it might be your answer if you don't put many miles on. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot running around using a delete kit. Might be a bit frowned upon, but who will ever know?

Happy Glamping.
I have a CM871 that kit us for a CM870, but they do have several for mine, and we did have EPA checks here, but I need to check and see if it's still in effect. I know there were some changes in the last year or so. I do have The Ugly Fix, which closes the EGR valve as soon as the engine starts and doesn't throw any codes.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #32

I am sure that delete kit works great...but, for the little I know about the ISX...I would never block off the coolant feed from the water pump to the number 6 cylinder ...you are throwing gasoline on the fire! Look at the water pump casting...if you block the egr feed ...look at what's left to feed the block...I doubt very much if the folks that designed those delete kits where engineers or did any dyno testing to temp after the kit was installed. Buyer beware!
If you would be interested in a # 5413782RX cylinder head ,I believe it is the latest and greatest...I would love to make a deal. I will never use it.
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Won't be doing ANY kind of delete. The Ugly Fix doesn't do anything but close off the gas flow at all elevations rather than just above 7,500 ft elevation like the stock system does.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #34

Might be worthwhile to contact the law firms involved in the ISB block settlement:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ement/#howmuch
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I wonder if we could get a Cummins Coach Care policy on our 10 year old rigs/engines? Wonder if they would ask which engine we have and adjust the price accordingly.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trying to find out if the carbon scraping liners and matching piston assemblies are required. That adds about $750 per cyl to the cost.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just talked to the warranty manager at Peterbilt, Kamloops this morning. ISX engines have a problem with a ridge forming in the slave piston bore for the engine brake (Jake) causing the piston to hang up after a longer downhill run.

Here's a couple pics of the broken valve stems....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	227618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	227619  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have not seen or heard of that one. What year, model, hp and mileage is affected?
The chordal failure is happening at low mileage about every 3 years.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Just talked to the warranty manager at Peterbilt, Kamloops this morning. ISX engines have a problem with a ridge forming in the slave piston bore for the engine brake (Jake) causing the piston to hang up after a longer downhill run..
With the valve not getting out of the way soon enough the piston is going to break the valve off eventually. Of all the theories I’ve read for #6 being the one to break, I like this one the best.

On low jake, which pistons are used?

Mr D, do you have a lot of Jake use in your travels? At high rpms?

Marvel Mystery Oil to the rescue?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No long grade use on the jake. I've put less than 9,000 miles on the rig in just under 4 years due to the late DW's health and death.

Have you or the manager have a TSB for the bore wear?
Old 12-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
To check for the chordal erosion requires at least a partial teardown since you can't see the top of the valves with a borescope.
As above, I am really considering doing a preemptive rebuild along with checking the bottom end bearings. I think I'm looking at $20-25,000 and being able to drive it in rather than $35,000 and towing with the interruption of a trip.

Even so I have no way of knowing if the fixes are a permanent solution and it could do it yet again.
I would drill a hole through the alum intake manifold opposite #6, big enough for a camera to look at the intake valve for erosion instead of pulling the intake off. Could put a pipe plug in the hole for easy future inspections.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #42

You will have to drill a hole in the cylinder head to get directly opposite #6 intake valves.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, isx 650, problem, problems