Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #127

Mr. Mark,
The Country Coach Prevost conversion use the same system as high-line production coaches from CC. The difference is on the production coaches, the AC compressor runs the dash AC and the bedroom AC--we had it in the Affinity. In the Prevost conversions, the extra AC compressor cools the bedroom and living room. It is a regular automotive compressor. The Prevost conversions use the Prevost AC compressor for dash AC. The CC system is a scaled down version of the Prevost OTR system with about a quarter of the cooling capacity of the Prevost OTR.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #128

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I just got the estimate to R&R the head and possibly the turbo. Comes to over $28,300 with more (or less) to be determined at teardown. That's almost as much as the original breakdown in 2015 which included a new EGR, a couple pistons and liners rods and cleaning up the shrapnel internally including dropping the pan and inspection the lower end bearings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #129

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, I just got the estimate to R&R the head and possibly the turbo. Comes to over $28,300 with more (or less) to be determined at teardown.
All I can say is DAMMITAGAIN!..and I just don't have any constructive suggestions....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #130

Forest River Owners Club
Oh crap! You did not need that. Assume that’s a Cummins shop price? Wonder what a really good independent shop who has done this before would charge? (If there is one around).
I hate to suggest an attorney, but it’s just not right for a redo in 3 short years, seems like Cummins just didn’t get the engineering right for your rebuild.
Best of luck going forward.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #131

Quote:
Well, I just got the estimate to R&R the head and possibly the turbo. Comes to over $28,300 with more (or less) to be determined at teardown. That's almost as much as the original breakdown in 2015 which included a new EGR, a couple pistons and liners rods and cleaning up the shrapnel internally including dropping the pan and inspection the lower end bearings.
Good luck, maybe they are rounding up on the labor so as to not shock you?

Did they give a summary of hours and rate per hour? I could compare to my repair. Mine came in at 25k with a new EGR cooler (get a new one things run cooler) new #6 injector, liner and piston. They serviced the fan system, cleaned and inspected the DPF. Plus they did loads of diagnostic work before they tore into the head. So either your shop is giving you worse case or the shop that did mine was very efficient.

I know there is a person with a American coach Heritage getting the same job done before the failure. Maybe he has the hour summary?

I can say that the new head just seems to run better. Hard to explain but it's just tighter. Kinda like an American V8 vs. a German one. So maybe that will take some sting out of the cost?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #132

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, now that my "sticker shock" is over: the estimate is high by possibly $8,000 as it's worse case and includes a new turbo that probably won't be needed (I hope). Shop figures three weeks beginning in mid March.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #133

Ok, the cost to me to be proactive with the head/valve problems came to about $18300 and about six weeks down time. The long downtime was because we only had the shop forman/lead mechanic work on the Coach. Complete new head plus a few other parts. Coach absolutely runs great, it did before also.
Hiflyer421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiflyer421 View Post
Ok, the cost to me to be proactive with the head/valve problems came to about $18300 and about six weeks down time. The long downtime was because we only had the shop forman/lead mechanic work on the Coach. Complete new head plus a few other parts. Coach absolutely runs great, it did before also.
Did you replace anything else besides the head while the work was being done?

Glad to hear it came in at that range.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #135

This has been a good informative thread. One can only hope that anyone considering purchasing a used DP coach with a Cummins ISX engine does the research and finds these threads. I have a feeling that we will be hearing many more of these awful stories in the months and years to come. The old adage of “ buyer beware” never rings more true. I wonder how many of these Cummins ISX ticking time bombs are out there?
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #136

ISX Problems again?

Seems that Mr D's coach has issues as well as maybe other ISX's from that era with 650 hp.

My local independent Cummins repair mechsnic says hes been doing RVs with cummins for many years and no experience with this problem. Urges me not to waste money on pre-emptive work on my 2014 Cornerstone ISX 600. He is a RV chassis and motor shop with years of Cummins experience, not a Cummins shop. Is this widespread or are we reacting mostly to Mr Ds unfortunate state of affairs? I have 30 to 40,000 reasons to want to know.
J Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #137

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The newer ISX SOHC don't seem to have the problem. It's the older CM870 AND CM871 DOHC's that have problems although I do know of one ISX12 SOHC that dropped an intake in #6. It took their rig off the road for a year while Cummins decided what to do.
The standard corporate line is "I've never heard of it".
When mine blew in 2015 even the parts people knew of it and admitted they knew of 8 ISX's that had done it. Four were Class 8 trucks and four were MH's.
BTW: it's enough of a problem that Cummins has new acid resistant valves and three different releases of heads and new valve seat inserts so it's not just my rig. My CC is #6999 and #6998 has also had the same failure. Cost him $40,000 cdn to fix

I wouldn't worry about the newer ISX 15 605 performance Cummins engines.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #138

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Wasn't your turbo replaced last time?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #139

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Wasn't your turbo replaced last time?
Turbo has been replaced three times so far. First at 19,000 when the valve broke the first time. Then that one went at 20,000 and the third at 47,000. Hopefully I won't need one as it's only been 4 yrs and 3,000 miles since the last one.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #140

Quote:
Turbo has been replaced three times so far. First at 19,000 when the valve broke the first time. Then that one went at 20,000 and the third at 47,000. Hopefully I won't need one as it's only been 4 yrs and 3,000 miles since the last one.
Nothing typical about that service history. Something ain't right.
I haven't followed the whole situation, just reading posts here and there.

No way would I spend $28K if I wasn't sure something was wrong, and then I would know who really should be paying.

And I can't get over a 28K estimate. $8K for just a turbo part? That has to be removed to do the head anyway? What? Just for my education...what's the part number?

Tags
ems, isx 650, problem, problems